Alt right protests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2017, 05:17 PM
RE: Alt right protests
(19-08-2017 05:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 04:52 PM)TSG Wrote:  Um... Yes it is. What was that, two decades in history? Compared to millennia beforehand?

Millenia aren't exactly anything to write home about either, on human time scales. 200 years from now, maybe the nazis will be so remote in history that no one cares. After all, if one used a Jacobite warcry as their own now there'd not be much outcry from the English. Wars do eventually fade from memory. On the other hand the Irish are still pissed about Cromwell, so not all wars do fade.

[Image: hith-british-burn-washington-dc-200-years-ago-E.jpeg]

Fuck you, Britain. Never Forget. Weeping

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2017, 05:17 PM
(19-08-2017 05:10 PM)TSG Wrote:  I'm not saying the reign in terror of the Nazi regime wasn't a pivotal point in history -- I'd have to be insane to do that. I'm saying that I find it bemusing that the Nazis' actions should completely tear away the positive meaning of the swastika which had preceded them since ancient times.

In our cultural sphere, the swastika had no meaning. It isn't a European symbol being used over the centuries to finally being abused by the nazis. It's an alien symbol for Europe and - as opposed to Asia - will forever be linked with the nazis, who more or less introduced the symbol to our sphere.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
19-08-2017, 05:21 PM
(19-08-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 05:10 PM)TSG Wrote:  I'm not saying the reign in terror of the Nazi regime wasn't a pivotal point in history -- I'd have to be insane to do that. I'm saying that I find it bemusing that the Nazis' actions should completely tear away the positive meaning of the swastika which had preceded them since ancient times.

In our cultural sphere, the swastika had no meaning. It isn't a European symbol being used over the centuries to finally being abused by the nazis. It's an alien symbol for Europe and - as opposed to Asia - will forever be linked with the nazis, who more or less introduced the symbol to our sphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_us...th_century

More Min Gee Ziss
19-08-2017, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2017 05:27 PM by abaris.)
(19-08-2017 05:21 PM)TSG Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_us...th_century

Do you notice something on the picture of the wiki article. It's minor, but it makes all the difference.

[Image: Matilde_Moisant_%28cropped%29.jpg]

You also find it on bishop's vestments from the middle ages. But it's hardly used between the middle ages and the 20th century. The first making ample use of it were the Freikorps at the Kapp Putsch of 1920.

[Image: 1920_kapp-putsch_3-data.jpg?crop=true]

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
19-08-2017, 05:29 PM
(19-08-2017 02:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 01:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I know, I made that remark in another thread (or maybe this one earlier), but yeah, where are statues to Gestapo honoring their service across Europe? There are better far more effective ways to learn about history than seeing a statue in a park.

The concentration camps are preserved, and I hear that all school children are taken there to experience it. There are also bombed out buildings as reminders. And of course the museums.

I do think that tangible reminders of times gone by are worthy of preservation. But you don't need hundreds of them. That's just silly. And they should actually bear witness by having a plaque explaining the history and the reason they were erected.

The big difference is this: your preserved concentration camps are not preserved as shrines, but rather, as warnings. These Confederate statues aren't warnings to the future about what happens when men defend an evil institution. They are warnings to blacks what might happen if the "South should rise again."

They don't warn against the evil; they are instead panegyrics to it.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2017, 05:29 PM
(19-08-2017 05:21 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  In our cultural sphere, the swastika had no meaning. It isn't a European symbol being used over the centuries to finally being abused by the nazis. It's an alien symbol for Europe and - as opposed to Asia - will forever be linked with the nazis, who more or less introduced the symbol to our sphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_us...th_century

I wonder how different our country would look right now if Hitler had chosen the cross as his symbol and flag.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
19-08-2017, 05:31 PM
(19-08-2017 05:23 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 05:21 PM)TSG Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_us...th_century

Do you notice something on the picture of the wiki article. It's minor, but it makes all the difference.

[Image: Matilde_Moisant_%28cropped%29.jpg]

It was the symbol of the British War Savings Association, too. [Image: War_Savings_Association_membership_card.jpg]
God that must have been awkward when Hitler showed up. Laugh out load

More Min Gee Ziss
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
19-08-2017, 05:34 PM
(19-08-2017 02:16 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This guy looks familiar but I can't seem to figure how I remember him.

If you remember him like that, you're stupider than you appear, and believe me, that's quite the accomplishment. The only racism he stirred was latent in neonazi sympathizers such as yourself.

When he was elected, I was happy. My biracial nephew was at that time completing his BS in International Studies at OSU with an eye to a career in diplomacy and perhaps politics. I thought to myself, "Maybe Michael could be President, too."

Your zero-sum mentality is the mark of a deficient mind, unable to see opportunity, seeing things only through the prism of "what might I lose?"

Enjoy your fear.
[+] 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2017, 05:35 PM
(19-08-2017 05:29 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  

I wonder how different our country would look right now if Hitler had chosen the cross as his symbol and flag.

Oh no, no more classical torture devices to wear. Weeping At least we'd still have oriental luck symbols like the swastika.

More Min Gee Ziss
19-08-2017, 05:37 PM
(19-08-2017 03:26 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Did you know that the swastika was around for thousands of years before Hitler turned it into the hateful symbol we think of it now as?

To quote this article:
"To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism."

So, food for thought---as we travel the world and see a swastika, we shouldn't automatically condemn it and associate it as being Nazi. For some people it is a genuine ancient symbol that is part of their heritage.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php...d=10007453

(The more you know...)

Yes, and the cross is seen as a benevolent symbol by some, too. Now, if you ask Native Americans ...

Context is everything, especially when it comes to symbolism.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post