Alt right protests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2017, 06:20 PM
RE: Alt right protests
(19-08-2017 06:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Before Hitler, fly a swastika all you want. After Hitler, do so understanding that you will summon associations with Hitler, because eleven million murdered and another 25 million or so killed in war.

Make that nearly 60 million and add the largest amount of displaced persons since the migrations of peoples.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
(19-08-2017 04:52 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 04:51 PM)abaris Wrote:  We're talking about a historical singularity here. A defining point in history, so to say. One political group got hold of a highly industrialised first world country and used every available resource of that economy to commit planned industrial genocide.

That's not "some" people using some symbols it at some time.

Um... Yes it is. What was that, two decades in history? Compared to millennia beforehand?

You value quantity over quality, I see.

The quality of Hitler's 12 years is such that the symbol is stained by his evil.

Shame he didn't pick a standard Roman cross, eh?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
(19-08-2017 06:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  So what? Those who made a symbol famous, or infamous, add a chapter to that symbol's history. Got a problem with that, take it up with human psychology. The human brain is an associative device, and yours is no different. We remember deep scars, and the deeper the scar the longer the memory. And the murder of millions is a deep scar. People remember that sort of shit.

Before Hitler, fly a swastika all you want. After Hitler, do so understanding that you will summon associations with Hitler, because eleven million murdered and another 25 million or so killed in war.

I am taking it up with human psychology. Fuck human psychology. Why can't we have the psychology of cats?

[Image: qh713wbo4r8y.jpg]

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
19-08-2017, 07:09 PM
(19-08-2017 06:20 PM)TSG Wrote:  I am taking it up with human psychology. Fuck human psychology. Why can't we have the psychology of cats?

Interesting thread topic! "Would humans be better or worse off if they had the same big brains but the psychology of cats?"

I'll go with WAY FRICKING WORSE. (but we would be oh so much cuter)
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
19-08-2017, 07:19 PM
(19-08-2017 06:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Actually...
[quote]“Our great country has been divided for decade, but it will come together again. Sometimes protest is needed in order to heel, and heel we will,” Trump tweeted a little after 4:00 p.m. ET on Saturday. He quickly deleted that version to post a revision. Unfortunately, that too used “heel” instead of “heal.”

This is the kind of thing that scares me. He has an inferiority complex the dumbest psychologist couldn't miss. The guy might launch an attack on North Korea just to distract us from thinking he's stupid.
19-08-2017, 07:28 PM
(19-08-2017 06:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...Even had they won (which was never going to happen, given the industrial and manpower advantages of the Union/North/United States to basically win a war of attrition), ...

Nerdy history speculation on my part, but...things seem inevitable because they turned out as they did. There are turning points, things could have been different. The British could have won the Rev war. The South could have maintained independence- Lincoln at several points was extremely discouraged and was besieged by war weariness and long casualty lists- and, most importantly, Hitler could have pulled it off. A battle won or lost here or there, a good or bad decision here or there...there was nothing inevitable about Northern victory!
19-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Just for what it's worth.

Hitler's swastika is mostly unique from the Hindu symbol. (I say mostly cause you may find only a scant few images where the Hindu symbol is in some temples drawn on the point and an exact match.)

The Finnish Air force for example used the Hindu symbol on some Hurricanes and other aircraft, not to be confused with Hitler's swastika.

[Image: 78_4_b1.jpg]
[Image: chapter-3-2.jpg?w=625]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

You have to be odd to be #1.
19-08-2017, 09:17 PM
(19-08-2017 07:28 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 06:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...Even had they won (which was never going to happen, given the industrial and manpower advantages of the Union/North/United States to basically win a war of attrition), ...

Nerdy history speculation on my part, but...things seem inevitable because they turned out as they did. There are turning points, things could have been different. The British could have won the Rev war. The South could have maintained independence- Lincoln at several points was extremely discouraged and was besieged by war weariness and long casualty lists- and, most importantly, Hitler could have pulled it off. A battle won or lost here or there, a good or bad decision here or there...there was nothing inevitable about Northern victory!
Obviously. What happened in the past is inevitable only in hindsight, whereas people living back then could easily see x as improbable. Nazis march to power for example could be stopped at numerous points: one of it is Hitler getting sentence adequate for his crime and rotting in prison or Hindenburg not being convinced to to make him Chancellor.

Some form of autocracy was likely though given the prevailing trend.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-08-2017, 09:22 PM
(19-08-2017 09:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 07:28 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Nerdy history speculation on my part, but...things seem inevitable because they turned out as they did. There are turning points, things could have been different. The British could have won the Rev war. The South could have maintained independence- Lincoln at several points was extremely discouraged and was besieged by war weariness and long casualty lists- and, most importantly, Hitler could have pulled it off. A battle won or lost here or there, a good or bad decision here or there...there was nothing inevitable about Northern victory!
Obviously. What happened in the past is inevitable only in hindsight, whereas people living back then could easily see x as improbable. Nazis march to power for example could be stopped at numerous points: one of it is Hitler getting sentence adequate for his crime and rotting in prison or Hindenburg not being convinced to to make him Chancellor.

Some form of autocracy was likely though given the prevailing trend.

I knew we would agree on something somewhere down the line.
19-08-2017, 09:24 PM
(19-08-2017 09:11 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Just for what it's worth.

Hitler's swastika is mostly unique from the Hindu symbol. (I say mostly cause you may find only a scant few images where the Hindu symbol is in some temples drawn on the point and an exact match.)

I could be wrong on this but I think I read somewhere that Hitler thought the design would be more bad-ass (his words, not mine) if it were turning, like a wheel in motion, crushing things in its path.