Alt right protests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 10:42 AM
RE: Alt right protests
(21-08-2017 07:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 07:31 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  "You seem to think that symbols have inherent meanings." (etc.)

Nope. You seem to presume to know what I think. Nope.

Let's not start making assumptions like that about each other. We're better than that. Or at least a assume we are...

I can only go by what you post here, with your complaints regarding the recontextualization of the swastika. It is not so much an assumption as it is working with what you're presenting. That's kinda, you know, the reason why I used the word "seems".

<shrug>

Please show me one place here where you took it as a "complaint" about the regarding the recontextualization of the swastika.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Triva - what countrie's military used the swastika in WWI???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-08-2017, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 11:28 AM by Vera.)
Who invented the cravat?

This has as much to do with it all as the comment above. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
21-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Thumpalumpacus, I just went back over this entire 64 pages of this thread. Granted I skim-read many of the comments that I myself didn't make. But I cannot find anything that supports your accusations against me. Perhaps I missed it in the re-read. I presented a link to a history of a symbol that predated Hitler by more than 5000 years. I responded to someone (sorry, can't remember who) saying something to the effect that the swastika's introduction to our part of the world was via Hitler, by posting the military history/Navajo link that showed both that A) the swastika was in fact already here with an entirely different meaning prior to Hitler's introduction of it as a symbol of hate and B) once Hitler used it the military changed their symbol so as not to be associated with it.

Perhaps something was taken out of context? Perhaps I phrased something badly that made my intentions sound other than they were intended? I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to "deal with it" by explaining anything that I wrote that may have mistakenly been viewed as a "complaint." Your opinion of me is of value to me. So I would appreciate the opportunity to clarify whatever I said that would cause you to lower it.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
21-08-2017, 05:50 PM
(21-08-2017 10:42 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Please show me one place here where you took it as a "complaint" about the regarding the recontextualization of the swastika.

Probably has something to do with your repeated reminders that it is a symbol older than the NaZis, which they perverted, even after folks told you they knew that.

As I wrote in post #600:

(19-08-2017 06:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Before Hitler, fly a swastika all you want. After Hitler, do so understanding that you will summon associations with Hitler, because eleven million murdered and another 25 million or so killed in war.

I'd be willing to bet that the white nationalists aren't flying it to symbolize any aspect of Indian philosophy.

It is an age-old symbol. We get it. That is not the context it was used in at Charlottesville. Why repeat what folks already know when it isn't pertinent to the discussion?

Just so we're clear, this discussion hasn't changed my opinion of you, which is generally positive. And also to be clear, my opinion is worth every penny you've paid for it. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-08-2017, 05:54 PM
(19-08-2017 06:20 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 06:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Before Hitler, fly a swastika all you want. After Hitler, do so understanding that you will summon associations with Hitler, because eleven million murdered and another 25 million or so killed in war.

Make that nearly 60 million and add the largest amount of displaced persons since the migrations of peoples.

Well, I was cottoning to conservative estimates of ETO casualties. No doubt you've studied this in much greater depth than have I.
21-08-2017, 07:32 PM
(21-08-2017 05:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 10:42 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Please show me one place here where you took it as a "complaint" about the regarding the recontextualization of the swastika.

Probably has something to do with your repeated reminders that it is a symbol older than the NaZis, which they perverted, even after folks told you they knew that.

As I wrote in post #600:

I'd be willing to bet that the white nationalists aren't flying it to symbolize any aspect of Indian philosophy.

It is an age-old symbol. We get it. That is not the context it was used in at Charlottesville. Why repeat what folks already know when it isn't pertinent to the discussion?

Just so we're clear, this discussion hasn't changed my opinion of you, which is generally positive. And also to be clear, my opinion is worth every penny you've paid for it. Smile

Got it. Thank you for explaining. Apologies to you and anyone else it may have come across to that way. Dead horse beating hereby suspended.

[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
22-08-2017, 06:41 AM
He also ruined the just under nose stache... not even the attempts of Michael Jordan pairing it with a soul patch was able to bring it back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-08-2017, 07:20 AM
<edit, wasn't meant to go here>
22-08-2017, 07:42 AM
(22-08-2017 06:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  He also ruined the just under nose stache... not even the attempts of Michael Jordan pairing it with a soul patch was able to bring it back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pity, then, that he didn't wear a man bun and a lumbersexual beard.

[Image: bcd6b7885cc0f784ad46003cfa7d657c.jpg]

To paraphrase Wodehouse, that is what the world wants, to make it an earthly Paradise - fewer and better beards. Frankly, there is precious little reason for hair anywhere lower than eye level. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post