Altered musical taste... or getting old.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Altered musical taste... or getting old.
So none of you know me, but if you did you'd know that I despise almost all newish music and have pretty much since the invention of pop punk. That's how I know I'm old now, that and most of my favorites are on the local classic rock station. Oh and I hate hipsters. The jerks.

But there are a few bands that have surprised me, and on more than one level. I will explain. I felt boxed in for a long time, seeing nothing new on the horizon that was any good, and my tastes having been of the metal variety. So I found my tastes altering slowly over time, one may call this process evolution of a sort. I started finding my ear more attuned to the softer nuances of blues and blues rock as opposed to the ear shattering awesomeness that is metal. I have always liked classic rock bands and hard rock as well so this wasn't a huge leap in terms of my openness to different sounds, but I always have found myself falling back on the old standby sounds. The metal. Until recently as I have decreed there are no more good metal bands and I don't like death metal, the guys could be saying fucking anything and I wouldn't know it.

There was a time in my life that I thought i liked rap, but I was wrong and that phase didn't last long. What I can say though is at least the rap of old made sense, the songs were lyrically competent and all the words actually existed. It was a skill but no longer. It is now gibberish. Blah anyways.

Now that I find myself gravitating towards softer sounds and more rhythmic beats I have found I like a band called The Black Keys. Which is unfortunate because I like to learn how to jam along on guitar but the band has yet to get enough geeky fanboys who like to tab to satisfy my needs. Anyways I love them, or did until I listened to the majority of their new album that isn't out yet online... Shhh.. anyways it sucks. Not because it's different than what they did before like why everyone else seems offended by it, but because it lacks soul. There's no character, it's bland. Minus the one song they released early, lonely boy.

Anyways this thread is mostly for ranting about the state of music, naming fav bands, and maybe sharing some insight into why music is what it is, and what you wish it to be. Also if you like old black keys give me some new bands to try out.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
RE: Altered musical taste... or getting old.

Sounded like an invitation... this crew is my fave out of the new. It's not about "new music sucking the hog," in my opinion, it's about an evolving group dynamic; versus "growing old," which is just pattern reinforcement. Just like there's only one Pink Floyd. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-12-2011, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 03:08 PM by Erxomai.)
I like the thoughts you share here, Lud. My musical tastes have been evolving exponentially in the past few years. It seems we like similar genres, and I just happened to hear The Black Keys last night for the first time on Saturday Night Live. I enjoyed them.

If you liked them, you MIGHT find something to like in these bands:
The Drive By Truckers
The Dead Weather
Dashboard Confessional
The Raconteurs
Wilco
Ludo (maybe the name alone will make you like them)

As for Metal, I've just recently found I like Avenge Sevenfold and Mastodon.

And as always,
Up the Irons!
PS, Johnny C, I really like that song. Thanks for posting it!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Just had some 'random;' I remember my gramps listening to WSRS - which would put an elevator to sleep. Now I picture myself on the rocking chair on the porch dozing off with this in the background:

What will the neighbors think, eh? Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-12-2011, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 12:42 PM by lucradis.)
(04-12-2011 02:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Sounded like an invitation... this crew is my fave out of the new. It's not about "new music sucking the hog," in my opinion, it's about an evolving group dynamic; versus "growing old," which is just pattern reinforcement. Just like there's only one Pink Floyd. Wink

Never heard of this band before. Very relaxing music, I've gone through a few of their songs now, and while they seem a little fixated on religious subject matter, the tempo is spot on for chilling out. Nice.
(05-12-2011 12:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 02:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Never heard of this band before. Very relaxing music, I've gone through a few of their songs now, and while they seem a little fixated on religious subject matter, the tempo is spot on for chilling out. Nice.

Also I used to really enjoy the hard almost military like beats behind rammstein, but then I heard the english version of du hast and now I can't stop laughing every time I think of the songs in english. They lose a lot in translation.
(04-12-2011 03:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I like the thoughts you share here, Lud. My musical tastes have been evolving exponentially in the past few years. It seems we like similar genres, and I just happened to hear The Black Keys last night for the first time on Saturday Night Live. I enjoyed them.

If you liked them, you MIGHT find something to like in these bands:
The Drive By Truckers Not bad, the lead singer has a headstones vibe, and the guitar is pretty articulate.
The Dead Weather I found these guys a while back by browsing Jack White one day. I only like one song. Sad
Dashboard Confessional Get the award for band everyone recommends me but I don't like, I also don't really know why.
The Raconteurs Are pretty awesome. Though so similar to the white stripes as to be nearly indistinguishable. I also recommend The White Stripes.
Wilco Not bad, not sure why I've never heard them before. They remind me of a more concise Radiohead.
Ludo (maybe the name alone will make you like them) I can't stand the lead singer, which annoys me because the lyrics to some of the songs these guys have are brilliant. Listening to Love Me Dead now and having to stifle my laughter.

As for Metal, I've just recently found I like Avenge Sevenfold and Mastodon.
Avenged Sevenfold is like old school 80's metal with new found heaviness. The two guitar players are phenomenal. They make me jealous. Plus they have some really fantastic songs. Mastodon you may keep lol.
And as always,
Up the Irons!
PS, Johnny C, I really like that song. Thanks for posting it! I agree!

[b]Thanks for the band suggestions you guys. Now that I know at least what you are sort of into Erxo I will come back to this thread with new ideas of things you might like. Cantor you seem to like a little bit of everything you lucky dog. Makes it easier to find good music I bet.[/b]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
(05-12-2011 12:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Also I used to really enjoy the hard almost military like beats behind rammstein, but then I heard the english version of du hast and now I can't stop laughing every time I think of the songs in english. They lose a lot in translation.

I wouldn't know about that. They ain't an English band, I never felt a need to listen to 'em in English. Wink

And yeah, I like alla kinda stuff. 311 is another recent find if you're into that kinda stuff. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-12-2011, 12:38 AM
My tastes in music have absatively posilutely changed over the years. In my teens I loved some classical (As I did ballet when I was young) as well as rock bands which definitely includes Pink Floyd. The Skyhooks and INXS were my favourite Australian bands (pretty big in the 70's and 80's) - I used to go 'off' at their concerts (how embarrassing). In my twenties I was totally into disco as I was a professional dancer for about 7 years in the clubs and other spots throughout Melbourne. In my thirties I started getting into 'chill' music such as Cafe Del Mar and a bit of Jazz/Blues as well. Now, I still like chill music as well as some dance stuff (as long as it's funky hehe).
Sometimes I enjoy heavy metal - as long as it's danceable.
On a friday night after a long week at work I like to come home, light up my many candles, put on some great chill music and smoke a large one. Oh yehhhhhhhh Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
10-12-2011, 12:54 AM
(10-12-2011 12:38 AM)aurora2020 Wrote:  My tastes in music have absatively posilutely changed over the years. In my teens I loved some classical (As I did ballet when I was young) as well as rock bands which definitely includes Pink Floyd. The Skyhooks and INXS were my favourite Australian bands (pretty big in the 70's and 80's) - I used to go 'off' at their concerts (how embarrassing). In my twenties I was totally into disco as I was a professional dancer for about 7 years in the clubs and other spots throughout Melbourne. In my thirties I started getting into 'chill' music such as Cafe Del Mar and a bit of Jazz/Blues as well. Now, I still like chill music as well as some dance stuff (as long as it's funky hehe).
On a friday night after a long week at work I like to come home, light up my many candles, put on some great chill music and smoke a large one. Oh yehhhhhhhh Sleepy

Pfff...why wait til Friday, my friend?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-12-2011, 01:19 AM
(10-12-2011 12:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 12:38 AM)aurora2020 Wrote:  My tastes in music have absatively posilutely changed over the years. In my teens I loved some classical (As I did ballet when I was young) as well as rock bands which definitely includes Pink Floyd. The Skyhooks and INXS were my favourite Australian bands (pretty big in the 70's and 80's) - I used to go 'off' at their concerts (how embarrassing). In my twenties I was totally into disco as I was a professional dancer for about 7 years in the clubs and other spots throughout Melbourne. In my thirties I started getting into 'chill' music such as Cafe Del Mar and a bit of Jazz/Blues as well. Now, I still like chill music as well as some dance stuff (as long as it's funky hehe).

Pfff...why wait til Friday, my friend?

Yeh, well I may have lied just a little there Wink
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
14-12-2011, 04:47 PM
My music taste is a bit weird but it didn't change over the years. Not really. I am still listening to the same kind of music.
I never like a band I always like some of the songs.
But just to show a direction, some of my favourite songs or musical pieces are from:
Simon and Garfunkel (Most peculiar man)
Meat Loaf (Objects in the rear view mirror...)
ABBA (Thank you for the music)
Haendel (fire music overture)
The Kelly Family (Why why why)
The Wise Guys (Wenn sie tanzt)
Mannfred Mann (no favourites, just like most of the songs)
Credence Clearwater (same as with Mannfred Mann)
and so on

I have a simple rule for liking it:
It has to sound like music!
The band members all need to know what they are doing and hopefully write their own songs.
The band needs to have their own style.

Like right now in my opinion most things sound the same. Pretty much because a lot of bands have the same songwriters who slowly run out of ideas. And all the playing around, you don't have to be able to really sing well as a singer, you don't need a band at all because you can create the whole backroundtrack on a computer and it will sound pretty ok.

So back to topic, I always had the previous mentioned opinion, even as a child already, I never liked the "boom boom"-type of music that makes you deaf but not happy. I wanna enjoy music, so it has to sound like music Smile

cheers
(sorry for the novel)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your musical tools of the trade. Banjo 32 407 30-06-2014 09:59 AM
Last Post: daylightisabadthing
  What's your guilty (musical) pleasure? Chaos' Requiem 71 2,270 07-03-2014 04:01 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Any Musical/Poetic Atheists Here? Golbez 16 583 18-07-2013 08:54 PM
Last Post: Golbez
  WTH is up with my taste in music? Phaedrus 13 536 17-02-2013 10:32 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  The late night Buddy show with musical guests Buddy Christ 0 189 19-01-2013 04:32 AM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  musical readings kunoxian drive 0 149 12-11-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive