Alternative facts for Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Alternative facts for Jesus
Ran across this article today, about how an estranged brother attended a fundamentalist sibling's funeral and found out all sorts of "facts" about his brother's life story that were completely fabricated -- or as he put it, "airbrushed". But I'll go with "completely fabricated".

I find this fascinating because of the current hoo-raw about "alternative facts". It's not just for politics, it would seem.

Now this guy was enmeshed way deeper in the fundamentalist hall of mirrors than I was, but I did see a milder version of this back in the day. Everyone was in a sort of shared fantasy that they were happy, content, optimistic, and just generally stoked. No one had much patience for personal suffering other than for a short time with a quick recovery, particularly if there was a good campfire story in it. But what this article describes -- editing out prior marriages as if they didn't exist, pretending the deceased was still an active member when he wasn't, pretending he died the approved fundamentalist death, surrounded by loving family rather than alone in a homeless camp --- that I did not see. I wonder if this is just an extreme example or if this kind of thing is becoming more common.

True, in my Christian daze, if there was something "embarrassing" like a divorce or a "wayward" child, it might be discussed in hushed tones, and not openly -- but it sure wasn't denied.

Anyway if you ever wondered how far "lying for Jesus" can go ... now you know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
10-04-2017, 01:11 PM
RE: Alternative facts for Jesus
Huh. I've never come across a version that blatant, only the "undiscussion" of undesirable stuff. But I guess I'm not super surprised. I mean, I've seen an astonishing capacity for denial among the fundamentalists I've known, and I can completely imagine a eulogy that was, at best, an artist's rendition of the deceased's, uh, "best self".
[+] 1 user Likes kmc's post
10-04-2017, 01:43 PM
(10-04-2017 12:04 PM)mordant Wrote:  Anyway if you ever wondered how far "lying for Jesus" can go ... now you know.

When my mother-in-law died a few years back at the age of 96, my religious brother-in-law brought his minister in to do the service. I was very unhappy listening to that service because the minister made her out to be a real gung ho religion enthusiast, which she wasn't. She was only socially religious. So let that be a warning to others not to let something similar happen to your own deceased relatives -- if you can help it. Religious people will use funerals for advertising if they can get away with it.

Sad
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
10-04-2017, 03:36 PM
(10-04-2017 01:11 PM)kmc Wrote:  Huh. I've never come across a version that blatant, only the "undiscussion" of undesirable stuff. But I guess I'm not super surprised. I mean, I've seen an astonishing capacity for denial among the fundamentalists I've known, and I can completely imagine a eulogy that was, at best, an artist's rendition of the deceased's, uh, "best self".
Hey, you just invented a new word. "Undiscussion". I LIKE it. Although the article describes more than just not talking about it, "undiscussion" along with "whiperscussion" is more like what I experienced in my formative years in the faith.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
11-04-2017, 01:34 AM
You make a valued observation. As ever faith tries to repaint everything! However I think we all do it to some level. When my dad died back in 2010,I found my self doing a slight embellishment on how I remembered him! It was a simple thing to do and it appeared not to harm anyone and it took some of the hard edges of my dad! Now its 2017, I no longer do it! I still love my dad and I am happy to talk about him. I think and hope I am now a bit more subjective about him now!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
11-04-2017, 02:24 AM
I attended the funeral of one of my Dad's close friends last year. I'd known him and his family since I was a kid and he and his wife had been good friends to my parents. The guy was an intermittent church-goer but at his funeral both the minister and the deceased's brother-in-law (a lay-preacher) made out that not only was the dearly departed a champion of jebus and a man of strong faith but that he appeared to have led an exemplary life. Now everyone knew that wasn't true.

But that was just the intro to the remainder of the eulogies which were not about the deceased at all but about how wonderful god was and how he had this wonderful plan for us.

I nearly got up and walked out in disgust.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
11-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Both of my parents funerals' had very little in the "sermon" resembling my actual parents (I call it a sermon, as it was so far removed from reality, and more about their religion than their lives); my brother-in-law presented an anecdote about my mother that was made up out of whole cloth, and my Aunt's who were actually present at the event he spoke of were pretty offended.

The guy who led the service (my sister and BIL's former financial advisor ...not even a minister, not to mention he had only briefly met my father on one occasion, and never met my mother!) said he insisted on including the "plan of salvation" as he heard there would be JEWS present (my sister's employer), and if not for him, they may NEVER have the chance to hear about Jesus. ...in Texas ...puh-leaze.
11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Interesting. I did not have these experiences growing up. Sure, people would gloss over the nasty bits of someone's life at a funeral, but that is just the general principle of letting go of the crap and remembering the good when a loved one dies. I do not recall things being made up. I wonder if this is another manifestation of the increasing disconnect between reality and belief ... perhaps fundamentalists especially are having a hard time sustaining their illusions as their influence wanes and the indifference of society to their ideation increases.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post