Alternative sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 09:18 AM
RE: Alternative sayings
Strangely enough, my dad, who was a devout Catholic all his life, rarely used the expressions in the left column -- especially not the profanities. He would use euphemisms like "Jeeze Louise" and "frickin'", but never the real thing.

I, on the other hand, say "God damn it" and "Jesus Christ" and things of that nature all the time, despite my atheism. Old habits die hard.

And "Gesundheit" has nothing to do with religion (although my dad kept trying to tell me that it meant "God bless you"). It's simply the German word for "health" -- not even "good health", just "health".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-08-2016, 09:37 AM
After taking my kids to a Seth Andrews event and listening to him tell a story about "God bless you" after a sneeze, my kids laughed and now follow suit with what he said in the story.

God Bless You --- curse you!

the kids laugh every time. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-08-2016, 11:23 AM
(04-08-2016 09:18 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  And "Gesundheit" has nothing to do with religion (although my dad kept trying to tell me that it meant "God bless you"). It's simply the German word for "health" -- not even "good health", just "health".

Yep, that's why I have it in the secular column. Thumbsup

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user