Altheia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 01:49 AM
Altheia
To those of you who might be interested, I've started a blog on my spiritual journey as an Atheist called Altheia (the ancient Greek word for reality). That may seem ironic to some, but I'm a Religious Naturalist and Atheist- for me the Universe/Reality is just so plain awesome that I freely choose to worship it 'cause I want to for no other reason than it satisfies my emotional need for religious ritual after de-converting. When something's been drilled into you for thirty years, letting go entirely is kinda tough, but that's ok. Curious? Scratching your head? Read on
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nagoda's post
27-03-2016, 02:58 AM
RE: Altheia
I checked out your blog, and enjoyed reading through it. I commend you on producing a well-organised, logical, and easily accessible document. As a lifelong atheist, I guess it's only natural that I disagree with some of the assertions you make, but at the same time I'm pleased to see that you've walked away from the dehumanising "industry" that is organised religion.

Good luck with the blog. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
27-03-2016, 06:25 AM
For a good chunk of my life. I've tried to wrap my head around the idea of worship. I understand loving something or adoring it, but worship ?

It's just one of those words that has no meaning for me.

When I think worship, I imagine a guy dancing around his favorite T-shirt as it lays crumpled on the ground. He's chanting and occasionally shouting all the while shaking a salt shaker with a few grains of salt falling to the ground, blessing the shirt with good taste before he wears it.

Worship is some odd OCD act that some people feel compelled to do.

Me - I just grab a shirt from the closet and wear it.
I like the shirt, but we're not dating or anything.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
27-03-2016, 06:31 AM
Do a podcast. Life's too short for blogs.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-03-2016, 07:24 AM
I do a lot of yoga which has a lot of spiritual aspects to it. I like hearing about the stories (religious myth) associated with it. I like many of yoga's life principles and use them in my every day life. And there are some yogic rituals that I do. But I use them for relaxation and to connect with my practice and myself, and not for some spiritual path to divinity. I appreciate nature, and animals, and the earth and try not to harm any of it. I love stargazing. And I am in awe of how beautiful everything is. But I agree with Rahn, I don't worship it, but I certainly am in awe of the beauty of it.

Coming out of religion, the term "worship" still sends shivers down my spine. I had a horrible experience with religion. And I see many horrible things happen because of religion and worship every day. I think worship can swing in an unhealthy direction very easily. That said, one of the best things about atheism, is you get to do you. You get to think, feel, act however you want and there is no magical sky persona out there ready to squash you for not being or doing xyz. I also am a firm believer that atheism is just an umbrella term (just a label and nothing more) and as such, you can be whatever type of atheist you want to be--and if that includes worshiping nature, then I say go for it Smile

Good luck with your blog!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-03-2016, 11:32 AM
(27-03-2016 06:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Do a podcast. Life's too short for blogs.

I lack the economic means of production to pull that off, but that's a wonderful idea nonetheless
27-03-2016, 12:27 PM
(27-03-2016 06:31 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Do a podcast. Life's too short for blogs.

I actually prefer reading well-thought out blog posts, than listening to people talk -- as in a podcast. I get annoyed with the brain farts (um, like, and other pauses people use to gather their thoughts.).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2016, 12:33 PM
(27-03-2016 07:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I do a lot of yoga which has a lot of spiritual aspects to it. I like hearing about the stories (religious myth) associated with it. I like many of yoga's life principles and use them in my every day life. And there are some yogic rituals that I do. But I use them for relaxation and to connect with my practice and myself, and not for some spiritual path to divinity. I appreciate nature, and animals, and the earth and try not to harm any of it. I love stargazing. And I am in awe of how beautiful everything is. But I agree with Rahn, I don't worship it, but I certainly am in awe of the beauty of it.

Coming out of religion, the term "worship" still sends shivers down my spine. I had a horrible experience with religion. And I see many horrible things happen because of religion and worship every day. I think worship can swing in an unhealthy direction very easily. That said, one of the best things about atheism, is you get to do you. You get to think, feel, act however you want and there is no magical sky persona out there ready to squash you for not being or doing xyz. I also am a firm believer that atheism is just an umbrella term (just a label and nothing more) and as such, you can be whatever type of atheist you want to be--and if that includes worshiping nature, then I say go for it Smile

Good luck with your blog!

I hear ya, loud and clear! For many atheists because they have had incredibly negative experiences with religion and worship, the idea of worship can be triggering, and the idea of an atheist worshiping can seem baffling to them becuase for them, its a horrible thing.

In my own case, I came out of a very abusive religious household, where worship in a Catholic context became a psychologically traumatic experience for me. But the need for some form of religious ritual remained in me after deconversion, and I still found that I wanted to do it, but on my own terms as others have said. For me, personally, finding my own way of worshiping that is healthy and constructive with meaning for me has been an important step in being able to find my own spiritual voice instead of the one that was imposed on me. Being able to worship in my own way has been part of the healing process for me in regards to the negativity, trauma and abuse I suffered for years- that may seem strange to a lot of you, but I guess I just gotta do what I gotta do to heal and move on.

All of that said, I totally respect your finding my position strange and that worship is odd and has no meaning for you. This is the beauty of Atheism. That said, one of the reasons I made this blog is to speak against the idea that Atheism and Religion are incompatible, or that Atheists should be working to do away with religion entirely- this is not my experience as an Atheist, and it's certainly not the experience of many other Religious Naturalists and Pantheists who are Atheists as well. It will not surprise some of you to learn that I am vehemently opposed to anti-theism- I have no problem with Theists and if they wish to worship in an organized religion in a way that is helpful, constructive and positive for them, I support them in their decision. I am not in their shoes, I cannot judge their choices and whether or not their beliefs are objectively good or bad, all I can speak to is what is good or bad for myself in my own experience. If I do otherwise, I become part of the morality police and a hypocrite since I would be participating in the same moralizing that I would be condemning. But that's my take on it.