Aluminum Ant Hill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Aluminum Ant Hill
http://digg.com/video/what-you-get-when-...n-ant-hill

*So the scientific mind says "Cool - look what aluminum can do?! Even makes art!"
*The god-lover says "Amazing what god's creatures make. Praise Noah for keeping those fire ants on board"
*The pagan says "OMG - HOW destructive!!! How can you kill those amazing creatures with such hostility and hate?? Who are Yooou to kill a creature of the earth??"

What does the atheist say?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like WitchSabrina's post
13-12-2013, 01:51 PM
RE: Aluminum Ant Hill
Well, this atheist says that thing produced looks pretty cool. I didn't know it would take that much aluminum! Who knew such an unassuming anthill would have such a giant structure? Interesting. Shy

I don't advocate killing out all ants on a whim, they do provide a service and are of benefit to soils and surrounding ecosystems. Not unlike the scavenger coyote who cleans up the dead cow out in the pasture before it spreads disease to the rest of the heard. Coyotes also keep the crop destroying rabbit population at bay. However, ants can also be invasive and quite destructive - a few varieties are even poisonous enough to be deadly.

I suppose I might question the motives of the person conducting this pour - were these ants invasive and destructive? Were they too close for comfort? For whatever reason these ants may very well have set up house too close to somewhere that mattered to someone.

Or was this just a fun way to kill a weekend mixed with some festive animal torture? There is no justification for the unethical weirdness of some human behavior.

Then again, I see little difference between killing out this ant colony by pouring molten aluminum down it or pouring poison down it (probably the standard method of extermination), or letting an anteater or a chimpanzee have a go at it. Although, I suppose the anteater and chimpanzee would at least benefit from that destruction.

I do not know if one particular method of death and destruction is any less cruel than another.

If someone were to pour molten aluminum down my chimney and fill my house... I might actually think that's kind of cool. Dodgy However, I don't know if that would be any less cruel than a tornado shredding my house around me (and possibly killing me) or some arsonist setting my house on fire asphyxiating me or a home invasion where I might be shot to death as I sleep. Cruelty is a pitiful thing. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-12-2013, 03:18 PM
(13-12-2013 01:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, this atheist says that thing produced looks pretty cool. I didn't know it would take that much aluminum! Who knew such an unassuming anthill would have such a giant structure? Interesting. Shy

I don't advocate killing out all ants on a whim, they do provide a service and are of benefit to soils and surrounding ecosystems. Not unlike the scavenger coyote who cleans up the dead cow out in the pasture before it spreads disease to the rest of the heard. Coyotes also keep the crop destroying rabbit population at bay. However, ants can also be invasive and quite destructive - a few varieties are even poisonous enough to be deadly.

I suppose I might question the motives of the person conducting this pour - were these ants invasive and destructive? Were they too close for comfort? For whatever reason these ants may very well have set up house too close to somewhere that mattered to someone.

Or was this just a fun way to kill a weekend mixed with some festive animal torture? There is no justification for the unethical weirdness of some human behavior.

Then again, I see little difference between killing out this ant colony by pouring molten aluminum down it or pouring poison down it (probably the standard method of extermination), or letting an anteater or a chimpanzee have a go at it. Although, I suppose the anteater and chimpanzee would at least benefit from that destruction.

I do not know if one particular method of death and destruction is any less cruel than another.

If someone were to pour molten aluminum down my chimney and fill my house... I might actually think that's kind of cool. Dodgy However, I don't know if that would be any less cruel than a tornado shredding my house around me (and possibly killing me) or some arsonist setting my house on fire asphyxiating me or a home invasion where I might be shot to death as I sleep. Cruelty is a pitiful thing. Shy

I agree, Kim. Totally agree.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I want one in gold. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Ants are hardcore.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
13-12-2013, 03:54 PM
(13-12-2013 12:13 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://digg.com/video/what-you-get-when-...n-ant-hill

*So the scientific mind says "Cool - look what aluminum can do?! Even makes art!"
*The god-lover says "Amazing what god's creatures make. Praise Noah for keeping those fire ants on board"
*The pagan says "OMG - HOW destructive!!! How can you kill those amazing creatures with such hostility and hate?? Who are Yooou to kill a creature of the earth??"

What does the atheist say?

Oh, pish-posh! That's nothing. I'll see your aluminum ant farm and raise you a concrete ant farm.

Feast your eyes on this !

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
13-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Fuck science is cool.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
13-12-2013, 04:05 PM
The atheist can say a lot of stuff. I tend to like, mostly. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-12-2013, 04:08 PM
(13-12-2013 04:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fuck science is cool.

Science really is cool isn't it. I'll bet there were a ton of ants that died in the making of that video. Good thing there isn't a shortage of ants in this world.

I feel sorry for the poor guys digging out the dirt.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-12-2013, 04:13 PM
[Image: Yoda_Empire_Strikes_Back.png]
Adorable I am - Yoda (held together by horse glue)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post