Always atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Always atheist?
I'd like to say I've always been atheist, but I doubt that is really true. When exposed to religion by my friends (my parents are quite secular) I had an indifferent attitude towards what they said about God. I left them in silence, not really piping up and saying how I felt inside. It was always awkward when there was prayer but I just bowed my head and sometimes looked around to see if everyone was bowing their head. At a christian party they were all singing christian tunes and people would just start off singing and everyone joined in. I started singing "Old McDonald Had a Farm" and everyone went silent. That was not a christian song. They didn't think it was funny. Nor did they chime in and sing with me, I just stopped singing. I guess it wasn't that I believed or didn't believe, it just never was a question. Obviously alot of my friends believed. But they never talked to me about it. I read one post that said when he first heard the word atheist, something clicked and he said that is what I am. I suppose that might have happened to me but I don't remember it. University I was definitely an atheist. I remember telling my friend that my belief that there was no God was as concrete as his belief that there was. That really shook him. We didn't remain friends. As for the years since University (of which there is 17, I'm now 38) I have been an atheist through and through. Even obsessed at times with thinking about evolution or reading about religion from atheists most especially Nietzsche.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
RE: Always atheist?
Welcome to TTA.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome aboard!

We've had a poll a few months ago to see how many of the forum users used to be theists. The result was interesting. As it turns out, almost 75% of the users who voted once had a religious belief. Apparently those who have been an Atheist ever since they were born are the exception. Tongue

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
(08-07-2012 07:44 AM)Vosur Wrote:  ... those who have been an Atheist ever since they were born are the exception.
Cool. Nice to be exceptional at something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How a Jehovah's Witness (me) became an atheist (also me) Northern Skeptic 17 215 Today 03:50 PM
Last Post: Stevil
  Atheist from West Virginia calvinhebb 10 118 11-08-2014 01:56 PM
Last Post: Quantum1Connect
Lightbulb A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers thespiritualanarchist 28 472 04-08-2014 04:48 AM
Last Post: premprakash pandey
  Hi, i'm an Indian Atheist IndianAtheist 15 709 30-07-2014 08:19 AM
Last Post: mighy
  I have been atheist for about a year. Here is my story. Adam9812 6 97 27-07-2014 08:53 AM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Coming out of the atheist closet Wheelbkb 6 93 22-07-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
Rainbow Hello ,I don't know I am a atheist or not... Snowflake 22 538 21-07-2014 04:57 PM
Last Post: Adrianime