Alzheimer cure on the horizon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Alzheimer cure on the horizon?
http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/7/278/278ra33

Quote:Abstract

Amyloid-β (Aβ) peptide has been implicated in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). We present a nonpharmacological approach for removing Aβ and restoring memory function in a mouse model of AD in which Aβ is deposited in the brain. We used repeated scanning ultrasound (SUS) treatments of the mouse brain to remove Aβ, without the need for any additional therapeutic agent such as anti-Aβ antibody. Spinning disk confocal microscopy and high-resolution three-dimensional reconstruction revealed extensive internalization of Aβ into the lysosomes of activated microglia in mouse brains subjected to SUS, with no concomitant increase observed in the number of microglia. Plaque burden was reduced in SUS-treated AD mice compared to sham-treated animals, and cleared plaques were observed in 75% of SUS-treated mice. Treated AD mice also displayed improved performance on three memory tasks: the Y-maze, the novel object recognition test, and the active place avoidance task. Our findings suggest that repeated SUS is useful for removing Aβ in the mouse brain without causing overt damage, and should be explored further as a noninvasive method with therapeutic potential in AD.

Quote:The team reports fully restoring the memory function of 75 percent of the mice they tested it on, with zero damage to the surrounding brain tissue. They found that the treated mice displayed improved performance in three memory tasks - a maze, a test to get them to recognise new objects, and one to get them to remember the places they should avoid.

"We’re extremely excited by this innovation of treating Alzheimer’s without using drug therapeutics," one of the team, Jürgen Götz, said in a press release. "The word ‘breakthrough’ is often misused, but in this case I think this really does fundamentally change our understanding of how to treat this disease, and I foresee a great future for this approach."

The team says they’re planning on starting trials with higher animal models, such as sheep, and hope to get their human trials underway in 2017.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2015, 05:05 PM
RE: Alzheimer cure on the horizon?
(14-07-2015 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/7/278/278ra33

Quote:Abstract

Amyloid-β (Aβ) peptide has been implicated in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). We present a nonpharmacological approach for removing Aβ and restoring memory function in a mouse model of AD in which Aβ is deposited in the brain. We used repeated scanning ultrasound (SUS) treatments of the mouse brain to remove Aβ, without the need for any additional therapeutic agent such as anti-Aβ antibody. Spinning disk confocal microscopy and high-resolution three-dimensional reconstruction revealed extensive internalization of Aβ into the lysosomes of activated microglia in mouse brains subjected to SUS, with no concomitant increase observed in the number of microglia. Plaque burden was reduced in SUS-treated AD mice compared to sham-treated animals, and cleared plaques were observed in 75% of SUS-treated mice. Treated AD mice also displayed improved performance on three memory tasks: the Y-maze, the novel object recognition test, and the active place avoidance task. Our findings suggest that repeated SUS is useful for removing Aβ in the mouse brain without causing overt damage, and should be explored further as a noninvasive method with therapeutic potential in AD.

Quote:The team reports fully restoring the memory function of 75 percent of the mice they tested it on, with zero damage to the surrounding brain tissue. They found that the treated mice displayed improved performance in three memory tasks - a maze, a test to get them to recognise new objects, and one to get them to remember the places they should avoid.

"We’re extremely excited by this innovation of treating Alzheimer’s without using drug therapeutics," one of the team, Jürgen Götz, said in a press release. "The word ‘breakthrough’ is often misused, but in this case I think this really does fundamentally change our understanding of how to treat this disease, and I foresee a great future for this approach."

The team says they’re planning on starting trials with higher animal models, such as sheep, and hope to get their human trials underway in 2017.

I hope they make quick progress, my mother in law is 52 yo and is in stage 4 already..sad.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
14-07-2015, 05:08 PM
2017 might be a little late for my family member who has recently been diagnosed with this one. But I'll let her know.

(and then I'll remind her again a few days later).

From an ethical perspective, given the typical age of sufferers and that 2 years is a long time to wait (not in evolutionary terms ... in terms of speed of an individual's deterioration) would not human-trials now be an acceptable risk?

I bet there'd be a long queue of volunteers.

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
14-07-2015, 05:15 PM
My wife is a volunteer with an Alzheimer's research project in AZ where we have loads of aging dementia patients. She showed me this study one time which had her whole team bummed out.

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/alzhe...2014-07-03

Quote:Alzheimer's R&D suffers as trial failure rate hits an 'astounding' 99.6%

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
14-07-2015, 05:22 PM
(14-07-2015 05:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  My wife is a volunteer with an Alzheimer's research project in AZ where we have loads of aging dementia patients. She showed me this study one time which had her whole team bummed out.

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/alzhe...2014-07-03

Quote:Alzheimer's R&D suffers as trial failure rate hits an 'astounding' 99.6%

Maybe she needs to read the op then, no drugs....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2015, 05:25 PM
The point is that all of these trials got through the initial stages showing promise too, and then fell flat on their faces.

If treatments fail at stages 1 or 2 they do not proceed to stage 3.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
14-07-2015, 06:25 PM
(14-07-2015 05:25 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The point is that all of these trials got through the initial stages showing promise too, and then fell flat on their faces.

If treatments fail at stages 1 or 2 they do not proceed to stage 3.

Of course, that's the point of trials, this one is just going into stage two now. Stage one was stellar. And it is a totally new approach. Nothing in common with previous attempts. So, it is hopeful.

14-07-2015, 07:33 PM
(14-07-2015 05:05 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I hope they make quick progress, my mother in law is 52 yo and is in stage 4 already..sad.

GWG i am sorry to hear this. That really sucks. Not that my contributions make much of a difference but a good portion of my charity giving goes to Alzheimers. At least it's going there and not to the church anymore.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
03-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Both my parents have Dementia and I am their only carer its unbelievably hard at times I don't really have a social life and work options are limited, its part if the reason I behave a bit crazy sometimes this research sounds promising but trials and licensing take sooo long
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post