Am I A Heartless Bastard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 04:36 PM
ISIS wants the Japanese gov't to pay $200M ransom to spare two hostages.

We can't muster the sense to laugh in ISIS' face? Giving ISIS $200M will ASSURE many more than two deaths, even if the two hostages really do get spared.

Why do we get all worked up about a handful of lives in these cases without ever seeing the larger, and to my mind more significant picture: that even giving the appearance of taking such demands seriously will destroy many more lives than the few that were ransomed?

Or am I an undiagnosed psycho for seeing this coldly and not finding tears for two unfortunate people? The world loses a tens of thousands of lives every day that could have been saved, what is it about two that this should even be in the news at all?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
20-01-2015, 04:38 PM
RE: Am I A Heartless Bastard?
(20-01-2015 04:36 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  ISIS wants the Japanese gov't to pay $200M ransom to spare two hostages.

We can't muster the sense to laugh in ISIS' face? Giving ISIS $200M will ASSURE many more than two deaths, even if the two hostages really do get spared.

Why do we get all worked up about a handful of lives in these cases without ever seeing the larger, and to my mind more significant picture: that even giving the appearance of taking such demands seriously will destroy many more lives than the few that were ransomed?

Or am I an undiagnosed psycho for seeing this coldly and not finding tears for two unfortunate people? The world loses a tens of thousands of lives every day that could have been saved, what is it about two that this should even be in the news at all?

The US gov't doesn't ever pay ransoms for precisely the reasons you cite.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like dcobranchi's post
20-01-2015, 04:58 PM
(20-01-2015 04:36 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  ISIS wants the Japanese gov't to pay $200M ransom to spare two hostages.

Are you a heartless bastard? Evidence points to the contrary; you were able to post so you do most likely have a functional heart.
The bastard part is still up for debate. Big Grin

I see no problem with feeling no sympathy for the hostages: you don't know them, they aren't even part of your nation. It's natural that your sense of empathy would be diminished in such an instance.
Either that or we're both psychopaths.

I think it's a pretty stupid decision for ISIS to even try ransoming people. They've now a well-established reputation for being nothing more than a big band of barbarians with no sense of true honour anyway; literally everybody knows that they wont honour ransom agreements, and nobody would be dumb enough to pay them for it.
The only thing they are doing is further alienating themselves and earning themselves even more enemies, which is the exact opposite of what one should do while attempting to consolidate power...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-01-2015, 05:26 PM
(20-01-2015 04:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Are you a heartless bastard? Evidence points to the contrary; you were able to post so you do most likely have a functional heart.

I see no problem with feeling no sympathy for the hostages: you don't know them, they aren't even part of your nation. It's natural that your sense of empathy would be diminished in such an instance.

I think it's a pretty stupid decision for ISIS to even try ransoming people. They've now a well-established reputation for being nothing more than a big band of barbarians with no sense of true honour anyway; literally everybody knows that they wont honour ransom agreements, and nobody would be dumb enough to pay them for it.
The only thing they are doing is further alienating themselves and earning themselves even more enemies, which is the exact opposite of what one should do while attempting to consolidate power...

He could have a bivad implanted. Tongue

But no. You're not a heartless bastard. My response to ISIS would be much more heartless.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
20-01-2015, 05:32 PM

The $200M number comes from Japan promising $200M in aid for those fighting ISIS.

#sigh
20-01-2015, 05:38 PM
You're not heartless. Shielding your heart isn't the same as not having a heart.

Were I a world leader and were it not likely to incite worse, I'd send ISIS a photo of my buttocks.

Edited.
20-01-2015, 06:28 PM
I get where you're coming from in regards to lives saved vs. two hostages.
It changes perspective when you put two faces on them.
Say if they were your parents, children, or friends.
20-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Title: Yes. So?

(20-01-2015 06:28 PM)pablo Wrote:  I get where you're coming from in regards to lives saved vs. two hostages.
It changes perspective when you put two faces on them.
Say if they were your parents, children, or friends.

I'd like to think that I'd say the same thing: Don't pay. There lives aren't any more worthy or important than the people who would be harmed by this. I almost certainly wouldn't.

It's a good thing their loved ones aren't making that decision.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
20-01-2015, 07:14 PM
(20-01-2015 05:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 04:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Are you a heartless bastard? Evidence points to the contrary; you were able to post so you do most likely have a functional heart.

He could have a bivad implanted. Tongue

... Touché.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-01-2015, 09:01 PM
(20-01-2015 05:38 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  You're not heartless. Shielding your heart isn't the same as not having a heart.

Were I a world leader and were it not likely to incite worse, I'd send ISIS a photo of my buttocks.

Edited.

Ransom response
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post