Am I Atheist or Agnostic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Am I Atheist or Agnostic?
I don't deal in absolutes. Will not say there IS or ISN'T a god.

I believe that god is highly improbable.

I do not believe that any gods presented throughout mankind have been sufficient and are false. I am willing to believe anything that can be proven.

Will someone help me out? Should my username be agno chiefs fan?...lets be honest, it does have nice ring to it.

I say we make this interesting.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
17-03-2012, 03:57 AM
RE: Am I Atheist or Agnostic?
Turns out you can be both.
I believe this is a fairly accurate representation of the terms as they are currently viewed:

[Image: gobbledigook.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Mugsy's post
17-03-2012, 03:57 AM

It's very simple. Do you believe there is a conscious being who created the universe? If you don't, then you're an atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2012, 03:59 AM
(17-03-2012 03:57 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's very simple. Do you believe there is a conscious being who created the universe? If you don't, then you're an atheist.

It really is not that simple at all.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-03-2012, 04:00 AM
You're pretty much an agnostic atheist.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
17-03-2012, 04:37 AM
(17-03-2012 03:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-03-2012 03:57 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's very simple. Do you believe there is a conscious being who created the universe? If you don't, then you're an atheist.

It is that simple actually

If you have a belief in god/s then you are a theist
If you do not have a belief in god/s then you are an atheist.
The only in between, is if you recognise that the question "does god exist?" does not make sense, because there is no clear definition of what a god actually is. This person would be an ignostic.

With regards to atheist and agnostic, these are two different topics it isn't an either/or question. Atheist is about belief, agnostic is about knowledge.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
17-03-2012, 05:00 AM
If ya hafta ask... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Sup, ACF.

I've always thought that the Cartesian graph Mugsy posted is shitte (no knock on you Mugsy) because it doesn't account for the X=0, Y=0 coordinate. I've always preferred Dawkins' Spectrum of Theistic Probablity:
Quote:1 - Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
2 - De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
3 - Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
4 - Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
5 - Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
6 - De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
7 - Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."
A quote from Thomas Henry Huxley, the man who coined the term Agnostic (which shows that the Agnostic/Gnostic dichotomy, the basis of the Cartesian graph model, is false):
Quote:Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle... Positively the principle may be expressed as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable.
And the following logic. If Atheist means not-Theist, then yes, you're an Atheist (ie, if Abcde means not-Couch, then you, me, a bus, the Care Bears and Jupiter (God, planet and city in Florida) are Abcde because we're not couches). If Atheist means "does not believe in God" then you cannot be an Atheist because you have not taken that position.

For myself, I consider myself an Agnostic. Period. I also accept that some view me as an Atheist and others as an Agnostic Atheist. Such is life.

There's also Jillian's am-I-Jewish test Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
17-03-2012, 08:03 AM
(17-03-2012 04:37 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-03-2012 03:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

It is that simple actually

If you have a belief in god/s then you are a theist
If you do not have a belief in god/s then you are an atheist.
The only in between, is if you recognise that the question "does god exist?" does not make sense, because there is no clear definition of what a god actually is. This person would be an ignostic.

With regards to atheist and agnostic, these are two different topics it isn't an either/or question. Atheist is about belief, agnostic is about knowledge.

It can be argued on what an Atheist is though. Agnostics are not technically Atheists, and neither are Apatheist. There are many different titles for many different beliefs, and it is not as simple as saying "You don't say there is a God, so your an Atheist."

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-03-2012, 08:28 AM
(17-03-2012 08:03 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It can be argued on what an Atheist is though. Agnostics are not technically Atheists, and neither are Apatheist. There are many different titles for many different beliefs, and it is not as simple as saying "You don't say there is a God, so your an Atheist."

We don't have to argue about definitions... that's what the dictionary is there for: to settle disputes on definition.

It's true that you can have different degrees of belief (for instance, the chart by Dawkins posted by Ghost) but you still either believe in a God or you don't. "Atheism" is defined by its precursor, "theism"... we don't have a word for people who don't believe in Green Aliens that eat planets because there's no word for people who do believe in such a thing. For as long as there has been belief in God there have been people who don't, and there's no way to logically conclude that there was a disbelief in God before there was a belief in God. Even if the existence of God was unknown, because it was unknown there would be no word for people who didn't believe in God (because the definition would beg the question/be circular reasoning).

Apatheists may not care about the answer, but it's fair to say that the theists will not claim apatheists among their ranks because I think most (if not all) of them will say that you actually have to positively do something to become a theist. So they'd be atheists by default, even if they don't want to use the title.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user