Am I Being Close-Minded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Question Am I Being Close-Minded?
So, I'm an Atheist, and I have been for about 1 year. I've only been really hardcore into Atheism for about 7-10 months, though. Anyways, today, I was browsing a random forum, and I happened to stumble upon a God "Debate" (I use quotations because it was completely one sided, with all the Christian comments getting thumbs up'd and Atheists ones getting flagged) I read a little bit, and I was appalled by the "Logic" these people were following. It was the same old "Well, ya can't prove mah god don't exist!" or "You damn Atheists think you know EVERYTHING!" and my favorite "I could prove god to you, but you wont accept him because your ignorant" After reading a few posts, I cringed, and got off the forum as fast as I could.

Later, I started to wonder, am I being close minded? Why do I get that knee-jerk reaction when reading Theist posts that I disagree with? Am I only seeing what I want to see? Maybe there is proof for a god, but I'm not seeing it because I keep staying away from Theist sites and books. After all, mostly all the creationist arguments I hear are just the ones Atheists respond to in videos. What do you guys think? Am I being close minded? Because This is really troubling me.

[Image: theory.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kris137's post
28-03-2012, 11:23 AM
RE: Am I Being Close-Minded?
(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  Later, I started to wonder, am I being close minded?

No.

(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  Why do I get that knee-jerk reaction when reading Theist posts that I disagree with?

Because you dislike seeing people be asses and not realizing it.

(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  Am I only seeing what I want to see? Maybe there is proof for a god, but I'm not seeing it because I keep staying away from Theist sites and books.

As someone who has been to a lot of theist sites and read a lot of theist books, you aren't missing anything.

(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  After all, mostly all the creationist arguments I hear are just the ones Atheists respond to in videos.

Which are the same arguments the creationists actually make.

(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  What do you guys think? Am I being close minded? Because This is really troubling me.

No, you're not. But if it'll make you feel any better, you can always go to Answers In Genesis and see the drivel they post over there.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
28-03-2012, 11:23 AM
No, you're actually recognizing the close-mindedness of theists. Most theists refuse to use empathy to understand any point but their own.

You can't be close-minded towards close-mindedness.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
28-03-2012, 12:50 PM
(28-03-2012 11:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You can't be close-minded towards close-mindedness.
I'm happy to be close-minded to close-mindedness
... like I'm happy to be intolerant to intolerance.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I am closed minded to the possibility that the world is flat.
I'm so ashamed of my bigotry.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
28-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Here's a link that might help explain what being open minded really is.http://www.ukskeptics.com/article.php?di...n_mind.php

An open mind is open to all ideas, but it must be open to the possibility that the idea could be true or false. It is not closed-minded to reject claims that make no sense. If a person can’t accept the possibility that an idea might be false, then he or she is the closed minded one.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
28-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Sometimes I have a knee jerk reaction to posts I read on Christian forums too. And I believe. So I wouldn't step up and say your being close minded too quickly. If they were actually saying what you have quoted, then I would say you were probably on the right track walking away from the discussion.

"You can't prove God doesn't exist" is not a good argument to prove Christianity. I didn't believe in God for 32 years...I couldn't prove he existed. Things changed. He proved it to me instead.

"You Atheist think you know everything!" is obviously not going to win you friends or converts for that matter. It is outright combative and unchristian to say such things to anyone.

"I could prove God to you, but you won't accept him because your ignorant." Really? Come on... Don't be surprised you get this treatment from people who call themselves Christians. The bible says you will. They don't like me either, because I most generally don't share their theology.

I'm all for someone who is solidified in their belief, no matter what they have faith in. I may not respect their beliefs but I must respect them. There is only one objective truth that exists and there are 6 billion of us currently trying to understand it from our own subjective position. When it comes to people who honestly doubt the existence of God, I most generally offer the advice to go to the source, if he actually is then he should fulfill any honest request from his created beings to reveal himself unto them. I had a personal relationship with God for 5 years before he revealed to me that he was actually the God of the bible.

Gary
[+] 3 users Like gdemoss's post
28-03-2012, 06:42 PM
(28-03-2012 06:19 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  When it comes to people who honestly doubt the existence of God, I most generally offer the advice to go to the source, if he actually is then he should fulfill any honest request from his created beings to reveal himself unto them. I had a personal relationship with God for 5 years before he revealed to me that he was actually the God of the bible.
All very good up to this point... you realize this begging this question, right? You have to believe in God to talk to God? It's like when a kid asks you "Are elves real?" and you say "That's a question that you should pose to Santa". Or like saying that all the proof you need for the existence of unicorns is to ride one. We don't make such arguments about real things (you have to talk to my friend Bill in order to believe that I have a friend named Bill) because there is always better evidence that doesn't require circular reasoning (here's Bill's facebook page, and you'll find me on his Friends list).

Many of us were theists at one point. There was a time when I questioned my faith and asked God to reveal itself --- and I meant it. And it didn't happen.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Just don't be so opened minded in dealing with crazy people that your brain falls out.
28-03-2012, 07:14 PM
(28-03-2012 11:20 AM)Kris137 Wrote:  Later, I started to wonder, am I being close minded? Why do I get that knee-jerk reaction when reading Theist posts that I disagree with? Am I only seeing what I want to see? Maybe there is proof for a god, but I'm not seeing it because I keep staying away from Theist sites and books. After all, mostly all the creationist arguments I hear are just the ones Atheists respond to in videos. What do you guys think? Am I being close minded? Because This is really troubling me.
First of all, it should be pointed out that critical thinking is always a good idea. Whether you are close-minded or not, simply asking the question and allowing yourself to be self-critical and self-evaluating is so rare and is the true badge of a rational and objective thinker... which is why I highly doubt that you are close-minded.

I personally think that you should allow yourself to visit theist sites and read theist books so you can get all the facts. Imagine if you were in court and only listened to one side of the case... wouldn't it be convincing? Of course, because you wouldn't have any counter-evidence to weigh against it.

If theist arguments are difficult to listen to, I agree that it was for me, too... but it gets easier if you stick with it. It's hard to be open-minded about things that you don't agree with and there's a scientific reason for that (point #1). As human beings we're faulty machines in our ability to be objective or reasonable. Sorry. It looks like you're already on the road to fixing it as best as you can, and I wish you luck.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user