Am I Being Close-Minded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 07:18 PM
RE: Am I Being Close-Minded?
(28-03-2012 07:10 PM)Godless Wrote:  Just don't be so opened minded in dealing with crazy people that your brain falls out.

ROFLMAO! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 08:35 PM
You are not being closed-minded; it is painful to read their ignorant illogic.
It is truly cringe-worthy. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm trying not to be too open minded to the point of gullibility, I've done that before, and I was believing in all kinds of non-sense (9/11 conspiracies, NWO, and reptilians ect) I'm just trying to find the right amount of skepticism. Every time I think I have achieved it, I always find some reason to doubt myself on it. Maybe i'm just too negative, lol. Anyways, thanks again for the replies! I didn't expect to get this many Tongue

[Image: theory.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Kris137's post
28-03-2012, 10:11 PM
(28-03-2012 09:54 PM)Kris137 Wrote:  Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm trying not to be too open minded to the point of gullibility, I've done that before, and I was believing in all kinds of non-sense (9/11 conspiracies, NWO, and reptilians ect) I'm just trying to find the right amount of skepticism. Every time I think I have achieved it, I always find some reason to doubt myself on it. Maybe i'm just too negative, lol. Anyways, thanks again for the replies! I didn't expect to get this many Tongue
If you want to read some theistic arguments that make sense, try Schroeder... uh, I was going to give a list, but can't think of anymore right now. IRL I've found that deists are the most convincing and I enjoy discussions about belief with them. Most religious don't like arguing down to the bare-bones of belief, but deists will. Many will even flat out admit it's a god-of-the-gaps. They will even continue after that, but I think it's interesting.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
29-03-2012, 02:15 AM
No, you're not being closed minded, the fact that you reflect on yourself like that shows that you are capable of critical thinking.
You describe seeing those theist videos, you want to see the absolute opposite? Go to Youtube and look for Why Do People Laugh At Creationists?
Thunderf00t can be polarising even among atheists, not everyone always agrees with him, but I really enjoy his work, and these videos might be what you describe.

Science and education FTW! -Thunderf00t

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
29-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Wondering about it is a sure sign you ain't. It's like insanity that way.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-03-2012, 10:14 AM
(28-03-2012 09:54 PM)Kris137 Wrote:  Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm trying not to be too open minded to the point of gullibility, I've done that before, and I was believing in all kinds of non-sense (9/11 conspiracies, NWO, and reptilians ect) I'm just trying to find the right amount of skepticism. Every time I think I have achieved it, I always find some reason to doubt myself on it. Maybe i'm just too negative, lol. Anyways, thanks again for the replies! I didn't expect to get this many Tongue
Every new skeptic comes to this point. I have been an Agnostic Atheist for two years now, and let me tell you, the first year was the hardest.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
29-03-2012, 08:51 PM
(28-03-2012 06:42 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Many of us were theists at one point. There was a time when I questioned my faith and asked God to reveal itself --- and I meant it. And it didn't happen.

I can only take you at your word as I believe that you have done as you say you have. The difference between what you said and what I said was that you were questioning a faith you already had. I was speaking of a lack of faith that seeks the truth with a desire to live with whatever the answer is. I did not believe in God when I requested his revelation. I did not expect to get a response but made an honest effort anyway. For whatever reason he chose to respond.

Gary