Am I BrainWashed ?( A possible deconvert)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2013, 12:24 AM
RE: Am I BrainWashed ?( A possible deconvert)
Thanks for all the replies everyone! after quite a bit of research i told my church and they were really understanding! It totally surprised me and made things a lot easier .

haha they probably right now though are all freaking out now that i'm some where else

[Image: bacon-is-my-god-base_1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
(23-09-2013 12:24 AM)AtheistInTraining? Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies everyone! after quite a bit of research i told my church and they were really understanding! It totally surprised me and made things a lot easier .

haha they probably right now though are all freaking out now that i'm some where else

That isn't surprising. They probably see it as teenage angst and general rebellion against God and not true disbelief. Shunning you or coming out in opposition to you would not help them in bringing you back to the fold. If anything, they probably see you now as a troubled kid in need of help now more than ever.

In any case, just remember this one thing: Your belief/non-belief is for you, it is not for them. It is your life, your journey, and your quest for truth. In the end, their opinion doesn't matter. However, it doesn't make things any less painful or difficult to bear.

I decided at a very young age that I thought God wasn't real. I announced it in the middle of a heated discussion with my mom when I was 16. I am 26 now and she has only recently begun to openly acknowledge my rejection of faith and my family isn't even all that religious. So I'm just saying it may take some time.

I'm in Utah as well. I grew up here so I know full well how living under the Zion Dome can be. There are atheist and other secular groups here as well, surprising as it may seem. So there is a community for you to should you have any questions or need any kind of moral support.

Good luck

Travis

-Ideas Pull the Trigger but Instinct Loads the Gun
[+] 3 users Like tmbell87's post
10-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Can you start out small? Like rejecting and voicing your disapproval of organized religion instead of god himself?

My journey to atheism started as a rejection and disavowal of the Catholic Church. Their treatment of women is deplorable and I wanted no part in supporting an organization that treated women like second class citizens, responsible for the fall of man because we are fowl temptresses. Or their crimes against children in the way they aided and abetted The continued sexual assault.

Everyone in my family shared those objections so my decision to leave that particular religion was more....platable

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson