Am I Overreacting? :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 07:17 AM
RE: Am I Overreacting? :(
I don't think you overreacted. It sounds like you made a reasonable and respectful request and she reacted very unreasonably. The FFRF likely won't get involved with this as they only take up cases that they know they will win and this isn't necessarily in that category. However, I would consider writing a thoughtful letter to the hospital about the incident. You don't even have to name any names if you don't want to get her in trouble, but explain your issue with Christmas music (my Jewish people have been persecuted for centuries by this religion! Lay it on thick if you think it will help get your message across) and respectfully request that they offer a little more training to their employees on cultural and religious sensitivity and how to react appropriately when faced with new beliefs and ideas. It may or may not accomplish anything, but remember that these people are working for you. They have an obligation to meet the needs of their customers, regardless of faith, and the higher ups take that very seriously in any company because it affects their bottom line. If enough people complain they will undoubtedly address the issue. Hopefully it will help save someone else a bad experience.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ohio Sky's post
05-12-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm so sorry you went through that Sad

-digital hugs Hug-

She was definetly waaaay out of line. You'd think she'd know better, way better, than to react like that considering the place she worked. You certainly didn't do anything wrong.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
05-12-2016, 11:07 AM
You didn't overreact at all. Good for you for being brave enough to say how you felt. You may have even said things others were thinking but were scared to say. As a former Christian myself, it does seem that some Christians don't get that not everyone follows or has any interest in following their beliefs. Also, Christmas is a Christian/Catholic holiday--Christmas is a combination of Christ and Mass--sorry jariel's nurse, but you can't get anymore Jebus-y than that. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-12-2016, 11:17 AM
You did not overreact at all. That nurse made a huge thing out of nothing. Sounds like she turned into Nurse Rached

[Image: LOUISE-FLETCHER-AS-NURSE-RATCHET-IN-ONE-...EST_10.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-12-2016, 12:24 PM
I want to thank all of you for your kind and supportive comments. I'm glad I posted about this here!
I feel so much better today, and am thankful that 99.999 percent of my hospital stay was extremely helpful. Except for the incident with that one obviously fundagelical and inappropriately-acting nurse, everything was good.
Guess what - FFRF has taken the case.
I LOVE FFRF.
They helped me once before - my FFRF lawyer is wonderful, and I've come to consider him a friend - and you know what's amazing? Dan Barker has taken an interest in my situation and we're now e-mail buddies. Life sure can have its rewards!

Big hugs to you all -
Jariel
[+] 6 users Like jariel's post
05-12-2016, 12:26 PM
"You did not overreact at all. That nurse made a huge thing out of nothing. Sounds like she turned into Nurse Rached"

Hahahaha! She did! She did!!

[Image: LOUISE-FLETCHER-AS-NURSE-RATCHET-IN-ONE-...EST_10.jpg]
[/quote]