Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)
I live in a part of San Diego that has a dense population of middle easterners. Mostly of which, are Chaldean, but many are also Muslim.

A couple years ago a Muslim woman had committed suicide in my city, and that was verified by suicide note. But after further assessment, officials were not 100% convinced that it was a true suicide, but they suspected foul play after discovering that the woman wanted a divorce and was going to leave the man. Which I am assuming is not allowed in the Muslim faith?

Another story, from my community college, one man had slapped her wife in English class because the professor required her to participate my oral speech during class...which I guess is also a big bad no-no...even if it means the difference between a passing or failing grade.

Personally, I love many of the Muslim people. There are even many who are more westernized and do not where the hijab. They have been my classmates and some times fellow debaters on campus who I respect. I often even defend them in the face of real ignorance and racism.

But lately I have grown a very big distaste for the hijab and the husbands and families who require this of their daughters and wives. To me, it looks like a symbol of oppression and male jealousy. I see it as a way to minimize their identity and take away their individuality, and a way to create second class citizens: woman.

I understand those women who wish to wear the hijab, and I respect those who genuinely do. But these women are beautiful women, intelligent women, respectable women and I hate to think that some of these women hate wearing the hijab and wish to not wear it.

I wish I could free those women who do, I wish that the women would stand up for themselves, but I would in no ways want them to if it means a shady-ass suicide would conspire.

The most I could ever wish for them are their education and luckily, many of them take advantage of the education here in SoCal, and good on them for it.

But am I racist or intolerant because I believe the hijab is an obstruction of human liberty?

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
RE: Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)
(02-08-2014 10:21 PM)Quantum1Connect Wrote:  I live in a part of San Diego that has a dense population of middle easterners. Mostly of which, are Chaldean, but many are also Muslim.

A couple years ago a Muslim woman had committed suicide in my city, and that was verified by suicide note. But after further assessment, officials were not 100% convinced that it was a true suicide, but they suspected foul play after discovering that the woman wanted a divorce and was going to leave the man. Which I am assuming is not allowed in the Muslim faith?

Another story, from my community college, one man had slapped her wife in English class because the professor required her to participate my oral speech during class...which I guess is also a big bad no-no...even if it means the difference between a passing or failing grade.

Personally, I love many of the Muslim people. There are even many who are more westernized and do not where the hijab. They have been my classmates and some times fellow debaters on campus who I respect. I often even defend them in the face of real ignorance and racism.

But lately I have grown a very big distaste for the hijab and the husbands and families who require this of their daughters and wives. To me, it looks like a symbol of oppression and male jealousy. I see it as a way to minimize their identity and take away their individuality, and a way to create second class citizens: woman.

I understand those women who wish to wear the hijab, and I respect those who genuinely do. But these women are beautiful women, intelligent women, respectable women and I hate to think that some of these women hate wearing the hijab and wish to not wear it.

I wish I could free those women who do, I wish that the women would stand up for themselves, but I would in no ways want them to if it means a shady-ass suicide would conspire.

The most I could ever wish for them are their education and luckily, many of them take advantage of the education here in SoCal, and good on them for it.

But am I racist or intolerant because I believe the hijab is an obstruction of human liberty?

This is the problem with multiculturalism it promotes tolerance of intolerance. No you are not racist for disliking a backwards and misogynistic control placed on people.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-08-2014, 01:40 AM
(02-08-2014 10:21 PM)Quantum1Connect Wrote:  I live in a part of San Diego that has a dense population of middle easterners. Mostly of which, are Chaldean, but many are also Muslim.

You described two situations which are mostly hear say and not even confirmed. Yet, you describing them in your post means that you agree with them, without proper evidence. That is some kind of bias, and might lead to intolerance or racism, if you aren't careful.

Wanting to free women from hijab? Perfectly acceptable. Not racist or intolerant. Why do I think that way? Because it is a symbol of women suppression. And women ARE less worth than in Muslim religion and tradition. Of course, it is the same case with Christianity. But there are Christians and Muslims, who have adapted to progress and have moderated their belief. People, who remain stubbornly fundamental, especially regarding misogynistic traditions, I do not respect and actively voice against.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
03-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Since when was Islam a race?

If it is a race, how does one determine the winner?

Consider

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2014, 04:29 AM
If you are on Facebook, there is a page of women who post photos of themselves without the hijab. They do it as a way to fight the oppression. One small freedom- of choosing what to wear--the messages of support from around the world is amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/StealthyFreedom?ref=ts&fref=ts

I live in an area where I might see someone in a hijab once a week if I'm out shopping. It's not common, but also not uncommon. While on vacation this summer I was in a small shop and two couples came in together, the women were dressed in full black burkas. It was the first time I had ever seen someone like that and it instantly enraged me. It was the same emotion as if I was witnessing violent child abuse. I had my two daughters with me (ages 8 and 10 at the time). The flood of emotion was quite overwhelming. I wanted to fight to free them, but knew I couldn't. Instead I encouraged my girls to sing and laugh and to be as loud and slightly obnoxious as they wanted. I wanted the women to know that girls do have a voice, and I wanted the men to know that they will never control us all.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2014, 05:44 AM

A little correction here. Divorce is very much allowed in Islam. So if a man decides to kill her wife if she wants a divorce then it's not because of Islam, it's because of the man's own thinking. Most men don't like divorce because it would mean bad reputation in their society, just like a president would avoid divorce to avoid bad publicity. Nothing to do with religion here.

I live in Pakistan and it's funny that the country who was named as Islamic Republic of Pakistan is way way more forward than what you described. Majority of women don't wear hijab, we have parties, we have shopping sprees, we have dates and so on. Pakistani women wear hijaab when they don't have a good dress to wear (my cousin does so), they'll wear hijaab over their night suit and go out, and some of them wear it on dates so that their parents won't be able to recognize her if she runs into them. But this is Pakistan.

And no, you are not racist. You are merely thinking what everyone else does. We all hate hijaab and the depraved thinking of men who suppress their wives in the name of religion.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 4 users Like Anna's post
03-08-2014, 12:33 PM
(03-08-2014 02:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Since when was Islam a race?

If it is a race, how does one determine the winner?

Consider

discriminatory***

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Nope. You are certainly not racist.

Intolerance of intolerance is a good virtue.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]