Am I a descedant of an alien?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Am I a descedant of an alien?
So, I've heard of a couple of theories about how life began on earth, both from respected sources and I know that no one knows for certain, but one theory is that life on earth was transported here from meteors. How credible is this theory? Is there any evidence to support this at all? Anyone attempt to calculate the odds of this vs the odds of life beginning on primordial through random chemical chance? What about the bacteria from other bodies that we've discovered, how does that compare with earths bacteria? Have we observed any kind of life which is able to survive a meteor crashing into the earth? Is it something which existed on planet earth? I am curious and I don't know shit about it. Hope some smarty pants on here can help me out.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: Am I a descedant of an alien?
These are hard questions.

Brain overloads

Just go with "God dun it" and stop worrying about it.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 07:50 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
Amino acids (biological building blocks) have been found on comets in our solar system. Tests have shown that not only could they survive a planetary impact, but they will reorganize into higher-form amino acids.
The theory that you descibe is called panspermia; literally: "life everywhere." While it can easily explain the spreading of basic life, I believe that prior abiogenesis is still requisite. At this point, the actual origination of life on Earth can only be as good as "possibilities." Given oceans of chemicals and a billion years from acretion to primordial cellular life, abiogenesis occurring here independently seems very plausible.
I have not heard of any extra-terrestrial bacteria being found. I have seen a picture of a micro-fossil that has a biological appearance, but certainly no viable specimens for comparison.

I do not profess to be a smarty pants or any other type of garment, clothing, or footwear.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
22-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Panspermia is a plausible but currently untestable hypothesis. If we find life on other words with the same biochemistry, or even very similar DNA, that might serve as a confirmation; it's unclear what else could serve as evidence.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
22-03-2013, 11:12 PM
(22-03-2013 06:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  So, I've heard of a couple of theories about how life began on earth, both from respected sources and I know that no one knows for certain, but one theory is that life on earth was transported here from meteors. How credible is this theory? Is there any evidence to support this at all? Anyone attempt to calculate the odds of this vs the odds of life beginning on primordial through random chemical chance? What about the bacteria from other bodies that we've discovered, how does that compare with earths bacteria? Have we observed any kind of life which is able to survive a meteor crashing into the earth? Is it something which existed on planet earth? I am curious and I don't know shit about it. Hope some smarty pants on here can help me out.

Here is what we know.
1)planetary bodies exchange material.
2)bacteria have survived exposed in space. They tested this on the ISS by leaving several colonies exposed in space for over a year, one colony survived.
3)bacteria can survive re-entry and impact if they are buried in the meteorite. I don't believe this has been observed directly but shown in simulation. I recall some experiments were recovered from the Columbia wreckage were the bacteria being studied survived the burn up and crash.

Given the above, I would say panspermia is plausible.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
23-03-2013, 05:26 AM
You? Yeah. Tongue

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-03-2013, 09:05 AM
(22-03-2013 11:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 06:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  So, I've heard of a couple of theories about how life began on earth, both from respected sources and I know that no one knows for certain, but one theory is that life on earth was transported here from meteors. How credible is this theory? Is there any evidence to support this at all? Anyone attempt to calculate the odds of this vs the odds of life beginning on primordial through random chemical chance? What about the bacteria from other bodies that we've discovered, how does that compare with earths bacteria? Have we observed any kind of life which is able to survive a meteor crashing into the earth? Is it something which existed on planet earth? I am curious and I don't know shit about it. Hope some smarty pants on here can help me out.

Here is what we know.
1)planetary bodies exchange material.
2)bacteria have survived exposed in space. They tested this on the ISS by leaving several colonies exposed in space for over a year, one colony survived.
3)bacteria can survive re-entry and impact if they are buried in the meteorite. I don't believe this has been observed directly but shown in simulation. I recall some experiments were recovered from the Columbia wreckage were the bacteria being studied survived the burn up and crash.

Given the above, I would say panspermia is plausible.

I totally agree. I don't think much more could be said considering the lack of definitive testing.
25-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Comets*, not asteroids.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-03-2013, 10:26 PM
There are organisms called Extremophiles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile
26-03-2013, 12:10 AM
(23-03-2013 05:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You? Yeah. Tongue
Awww, Shucks HoC, didn't know you thought so highly of me. Thumbsup