Am I a descedant of an alien?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: Am I a descedant of an alien?
One gripe I have about the Curiosity rover science kit is that they didn't include a means to detect evidence of life. Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 10:59 PM
(26-03-2013 10:14 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  One gripe I have about the Curiosity rover science kit is that they didn't include a means to detect evidence of life. Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.

A simple camera is a means to detect life...curiosity has 17 of those.

Your claim about the Christian right is utter nonsense.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
26-03-2013, 11:00 PM
(26-03-2013 10:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(26-03-2013 10:14 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  One gripe I have about the Curiosity rover science kit is that they didn't include a means to detect evidence of life. Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.

A simple camera is a means to detect life...curiosity has 17 of those.

Your unfounded assertion about the Christian right is utter nonsense.

27-03-2013, 01:03 AM
(26-03-2013 10:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A simple camera is a means to detect life...curiosity has 17 of those.

lol, no

Curiosity's cameras are nowhere near adequate to detect bacteria or evidence of bacteria. It seems you have no clue regarding scale. The cells in our body are huge in comparison to bacteria. The rover doesn't have a microscope with enough magnification to image cells in our body. Not by a long shot.

Saying something is nonsense doesn't cut it. Proof is in the pudding.

So,

You want blow me? You can suck it too... :/

[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
27-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Well you are a star-child... so perhaps..

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
27-03-2013, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 01:51 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(27-03-2013 01:03 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(26-03-2013 10:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A simple camera is a means to detect life...curiosity has 17 of those.

lol, no

Curiosity's cameras are nowhere near adequate to detect bacteria or evidence of bacteria. It seems you have no clue regarding scale. The cells in our body are huge in comparison to bacteria. The rover doesn't have a microscope with enough magnification to image cells in our body. Not by a long shot.

Saying something is nonsense doesn't cut it. Proof is in the pudding.

So,

You want blow me? You can suck it too... :/

You made the assertion that the american christian right dictated the science package.,,.where's your proof?

The burden is on you Puddinghead. You didn't provide any so I have Carte Blanche to toss the nonsense flag.

27-03-2013, 02:44 AM
How did you get from this:
(26-03-2013 10:14 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.
To this:
(27-03-2013 01:41 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You made the assertion that the american christian right dictated the science package.,,.where's your proof?
Huh

I never made any such claim.

Still, I find it odd that NASA is so committed to avoid looking for signs of life on Mars given the money it took to get the rover there. Especially since we already have evidence of higher than expected methane levels. We knew about this long before curiosity was launched. There is enough scientific consensus to justify looking for life on Mars.

The Intelligent Design movement is strong in America and looking for life on other planets wouldn't sit well with those people. NASA is publicly funded so voters have an impact on the funding of NASA Projects. Politicians wouldn't approve funding for a project that would piss off allot of voters.

Just look at American political advertising...

How can you say religion doesn't greatly influence American politics?

Either way.. If NASA wont do it then other countries will. There is an ESA mission scheduled that will have capabilities needed to find life, or evidence of life.

27-03-2013, 10:37 AM
(27-03-2013 02:44 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  How did you get from this:
(26-03-2013 10:14 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.
To this:
(27-03-2013 01:41 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You made the assertion that the american christian right dictated the science package.,,.where's your proof?
Huh

I never made any such claim.

Still, I find it odd that NASA is so committed to avoid looking for signs of life on Mars given the money it took to get the rover there. Especially since we already have evidence of higher than expected methane levels. We knew about this long before curiosity was launched. There is enough scientific consensus to justify looking for life on Mars.

The Intelligent Design movement is strong in America and looking for life on other planets wouldn't sit well with those people. NASA is publicly funded so voters have an impact on the funding of NASA Projects. Politicians wouldn't approve funding for a project that would piss off allot of voters.

Just look at American political advertising...

How can you say religion doesn't greatly influence American politics?

Either way.. If NASA wont do it then other countries will. There is an ESA mission scheduled that will have capabilities needed to find life, or evidence of life.

Curiousity's mission is to look to for evidence that mars could have once harbored life. I guess the christian right rioting at the Viking mission search for current life on mars was too much too much for NASA to handle so future missions had to be toned down a notch.

Oh...wait....there was never any rioting or outcry by the religious right at previous missions to mars whise scientific objectives were to look for current life.

Your claim is completely baseless. You should simply nut up and admit you were wrong.

27-03-2013, 06:25 PM
(27-03-2013 10:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Curiousity's mission is to look to for evidence that mars could have once harbored life. I guess the christian right rioting at the Viking mission search for current life on mars was too much too much for NASA to handle so future missions had to be toned down a notch.

Oh...wait....there was never any rioting or outcry by the religious right at previous missions to mars whise scientific objectives were to look for current life.

Your claim is completely baseless. You should simply nut up and admit you were wrong.

The MSL mission has four scientific goals: Determine the landing site's habitability including the role of water, the study of the climate and the geology of Mars. It is also useful preparation for a future manned mission to Mars.

Many times on the NASA blogs you will find this carefully worded statement or similar: "beginning a two-year mission using 10 instruments to assess whether a carefully chosen study area inside Gale Crater has ever offered environmental conditions favorable for microbial life."

So yeah, I agree with you on the MSL mission statement for the most part - though we already know mars offers favorable conditions for microbial life. The problem is curiosity lacks the equipment to find it or evidence of extant life.

This is exactly my point. My problem is with that mission statement. It sucks.

Nope, Viking did look for life ~35-40 years ago, though that long ago the political climate was different. Weren't as many loudmouthed extremists screaming through the media. Viking lacked the technology to fulfill its mission. They did the best they could.

28-03-2013, 01:41 AM
My Speculation: One gripe I have about the Curiosity rover science kit is that they didn't include a means to detect evidence of life. Main reason probably was that it would be too controversial given the political influence of the American Christian right.

Heywood: Your speculation is wrong! Admit it!

Me: Your opinion doesn't matter to me.

Heywood: Your speculation is offensive... how dare you!

Me: Well blow me.