Am I a "militant atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2011, 09:33 AM
RE: Am I a "militant atheist"?
(15-07-2011 06:25 AM)angry_liberal Wrote:  I asked the question in the title because the forum rules say that "militant atheists" are not liked. Blush

Where does it say that??? If that got put somewhere, it wasn't by me (and I am the one who makes final decisions on any rules here). If you could please link to where you read that so I can clarify whether it is a "rule" (which will be removed) or a personal opinion it would be appreciated.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2011, 09:48 AM
(15-07-2011 09:33 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(15-07-2011 06:25 AM)angry_liberal Wrote:  I asked the question in the title because the forum rules say that "militant atheists" are not liked. Blush

Where does it say that??? If that got put somewhere, it wasn't by me (and I am the one who makes final decisions on any rules here). If you could please link to where you read that so I can clarify whether it is a "rule" (which will be removed) or a personal opinion it would be appreciated.

Found it:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/faq
Quote:<h3>Pet peeves?</h3>
<p>People who politicize my website. Militant Christians. Militant atheists. ALL CAPS. Apologists. Westboro Baptist Church. The humorless, armchair intellectual. Televangelists. Tom Cruise’s Scientology tents. Any culture which requires a burqua. Facebook drama queens (and kings). Co
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Ah, I see. Those aren't rules for the forum, they are Seths pet peeves. The forum is the only part of the website I have control over and here you can be as militant as you want. Just because someone doesn't like something (and that includes me) doesn't mean you can't be that way here. Feel free to share whatever you like, as long as you understand that that goes for everyone. (We don't moderate fights here either, so if you get into it with someone, regardless of how much you disagree, it won't be edited.) All I ask is that you try not to intentionally be a dick. in my time as admin here, I have banned a grand total of ONE person. It takes alot.

15-07-2011, 10:21 AM
(15-07-2011 10:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  All I ask is that you try not to intentionally be a dick.

I guess my original post could have been summarized as 'How do I avoid being a "dick"?'
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2011, 10:45 AM
LOL, you're doing just fine. Besides, it's a request, not a rule. LOL

After all is said and done, someone, somewhere is going to think you're a dick (trust me, there are plenty who feel that way about me). I think the most anyone can ask is that you try not to do it on purpose.

20-07-2011, 08:55 AM
(15-07-2011 10:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ah, I see. Those aren't rules for the forum, they are Seths pet peeves. The forum is the only part of the website I have control over and here you can be as militant as you want. Just because someone doesn't like something (and that includes me) doesn't mean you can't be that way here. Feel free to share whatever you like, as long as you understand that that goes for everyone. (We don't moderate fights here either, so if you get into it with someone, regardless of how much you disagree, it won't be edited.) All I ask is that you try not to intentionally be a dick. in my time as admin here, I have banned a grand total of ONE person. It takes alot.

We all appreciate that... as may of us use the forum as a way of "venting"...

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles