Am I alone in this thinking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Am I alone in this thinking?
While I am a huge proponent of ridiculing those who deserve ridicule when it comes to religiosity, I am really against blind undeserved vitriol. I am as tired as the next guy when it comes to seeing mindless religious memes posted on Facebook, but I'm also growing tired of the atheists I "LIKE" just making fun of believers without provocation. It does nothing to further our position/stance and it only reinforces believers' attitudes that atheists are rude and arrogant. I will totally defend my position when chatting with a theist, but to just come up with these stupid memes showing Jesus in compromising positions or whatever is just childish and ineffective. Yes, a good chuckle the first time or two, but after that it just seems sad to me.

Am I alone?

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: Am I alone in this thinking?
I'm with you. I don't want to attack another's views or beliefs any more than I want someone attacking mine. It's disrespectful, childish, and most often unnecessary and inappropriate.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Ohio Sky's post
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Exactly, I just don't see the point. I feel like these people were either REALLY damaged by religion and are lashing out to compensate or are just incredibly immature and want some shock value. Even though I don't believe in any gods or supernatural stuff, it still sends shivers down my spine when I see some of the really graphic insulting ones.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Nah! I disagree.

It seems to me that there are phases of deconversion.

Not a clinical analysis, but something like:
The slow build up of doubt;
The dawning of realisation;
The crazy phase of can't get enough science and logic and learning the fallacies... the mental re-bootcamp;
The calm after the storm;
The boredom;
The helping others phase;
The rational activist.

Or something like that.

You might me in the 'boredom' phase while others are in the crazy phase.

If nothing else, the growing volume of stuff will help to shake a few people out of the trap of informational influence

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I could not agree with you more. I'm not a fan of finger pointing and name calling when it comes to this or politics.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like smidgen's post
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
(09-12-2013 03:21 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  While I am a huge proponent of ridiculing those who deserve ridicule when it comes to religiosity, I am really against blind undeserved vitriol. I am as tired as the next guy when it comes to seeing mindless religious memes posted on Facebook, but I'm also growing tired of the atheists I "LIKE" just making fun of believers without provocation. It does nothing to further our position/stance and it only reinforces believers' attitudes that atheists are rude and arrogant. I will totally defend my position when chatting with a theist, but to just come up with these stupid memes showing Jesus in compromising positions or whatever is just childish and ineffective. Yes, a good chuckle the first time or two, but after that it just seems sad to me.

Am I alone?

When their Holy Barbill stops calling for my death and subsequent eternal torture for disagreeing with these pretentious status-seeking pricks - 99% of whom believe about as much of the Holy Barbill as I do - I'll quit lampooning them. Alternatively members of Abrahamic religions can renounce all these bigoted lynch mob bits, and the bits that insist they are infinitely superior to non-believing untermenschen, in the Bible and all their other Nazi like literature.
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Nothing wrong with openly renouncing in my book, but just random senseless attacks and gutless childish depictions prove nothing. What do they hope to accomplish? I disagree with DLJ that the sheer volume would help when the volume is loaded with offensive sarcastic effluvium that only reinforces stereotypes. Anyone on the fence isn't going to be lured to rationality by a photo of Jebus going down on a child or some other crap.

[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-12-2013, 10:50 PM
(09-12-2013 04:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Nothing wrong with openly renouncing in my book, but just random senseless attacks and gutless childish depictions prove nothing. What do they hope to accomplish? I disagree with DLJ that the sheer volume would help when the volume is loaded with offensive sarcastic effluvium that only reinforces stereotypes. Anyone on the fence isn't going to be lured to rationality by a photo of Jebus going down on a child or some other crap.

We waste our time trying to convince a snake his actions are detrimental to humanity and to desist from biting people, it is his nature. Better to bash in the head of every snake you see with a No. 3 shovel or something similar. Yes Beat_stick
09-12-2013, 11:45 PM
An interesting metaphor Misanthrope, even if it misses the point for the sake of humor. Again, I don't mind bashing idiots who refuse to listen or be rational and do more harm than good, but unprovoked random tasteless images and insults are useless.

09-12-2013, 11:57 PM
(09-12-2013 11:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  An interesting metaphor Misanthrope, even if it misses the point for the sake of humor. Again, I don't mind bashing idiots who refuse to listen or be rational and do more harm than good, but unprovoked random tasteless images and insults are useless.

I just love taunting and lampooning the supercilious pricks! And being poorly educated myself it is so refreshing to have people to literally shred to pieces who are guaranteed to be even stupider than me! Wink