Am I alone in this thinking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 12:28 AM
RE: Am I alone in this thinking?
(09-12-2013 11:57 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 11:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  An interesting metaphor Misanthrope, even if it misses the point for the sake of humor. Again, I don't mind bashing idiots who refuse to listen or be rational and do more harm than good, but unprovoked random tasteless images and insults are useless.

I just love taunting and lampooning the supercilious pricks! And being poorly educated myself it is so refreshing to have people to literally shred to pieces who are guaranteed to be even stupider than me! Wink

Beside, us trying to lure them to our atheistically correct rationality, or to “save” them, is no better than them trying to lure/save us with their Christianly correct irrationality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
10-12-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm one of the minority who disagree.

It's either ok for everyone or it's ok for no one. They shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it. Obviously they don't have a problem sharing pics that demonize evolution and whatnot, so we're allowed that same freedom.

I agree that it is not the way to win an intelligent argument...but the internet is supposed to be mostly escapism. People sharing pictures and links on their own social media page doesn't affect other people in any real way.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
10-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm not for "saving" or "luring" anyone, all I mean is I would rather people not reinforce already unfair stereotypes by being an ass for no reason.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 11:19 AM
How about unliking their page. Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I have to say, that both sides can be at fault here. For myself, I came here because I enjoy understanding why someone else would believe something completely different to me, and in part it's understanding why I don't agree with a lot said here that I can understand why I do believe the way I do. And for the most part, I've been really pleasantly surprised with the level of respect and discussion I've been welcomed into.
BUT here are a few impressions I've picked up in the last few months.
It first seemed strange to me that some people will tell me that this is an atheist space and if I don't like the views here I'm free to go- this from people who boast about going to Christian forums specifically to supposedly destroy the views of the people there and then boast about being banned. Why complain about people coming here for discussion if you go to their forums to be as disruptive as possible?

The other thing that bugs me is the way people refer to God and Jesus and religious figures in ways specifically meant to mock; having your sacred figures referred to like that does, at times, hurt. Now I'm a big girl, I know this is your space and you're free to speak as you like with some threads specifically for this kind of thing. But if we're engaged in a discussion about sin or prayer or morality or free will, to be honest that kind of language can simply come across as a substitute for a real argument. A 'well I don't have to defend myself because your God is stupid' approach.

As I've said, most of the people here are great to talk to, but being told basically that 'you're dogmatic, blind, ignorant, etc so listen to us because we're rational people, you idiot' isn't the most convincing way to show me your perspective is rational at all. I enjoy reading people's debate and criticise issues, not people.

I really liked this video about Dawkins and Ravi Zacharias and the mocking of people. It's 11mins but well worth the listening. I particuarly like this quotes 'Are we seeking the winning of this person or the decimation of this person?' and 'In a world of hate, mockery will engender more hate.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51rR4aC9aMg

If you consider the majority of religious or atheist people you come in contact with to be disrespectful of you and your beliefs, then what better way of showing you're position is better than that then to show a higher, dare I say rational?, response.
[+] 1 user Likes Yasmin's post
10-12-2013, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 03:22 PM by DLJ.)
(09-12-2013 11:57 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  ...
I just love taunting and lampooning the supercilious pricks! And being poorly educated myself it is so refreshing to have people to literally shred to pieces who are guaranteed to be even stupider than me! Wink

It's "more stupid" not "stupider".

Dumbass!

Tongue

[/taunting]

(10-12-2013 03:12 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  ...
what better way, of showing your position is better than that, than to show a higher (dare I say, rational?) response.

Now that is just completely irrational...

... because your god is a dumbass!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Yes, I could just unfollow or unfriend them, and that will solve my issue, but it doesn't solve the bigger issue, which is maturity and dispelling stereotypes.

And I didn't start this thread so people would get pissed at each other, I just wondered if I was in the minority when it came to these senseless displays of immaturity.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
10-12-2013, 07:48 PM
@ the OP. It's still a difficult topic for me. I identified as a Christian for nearly 4 decades. The entire idea of a supernatural entity just looks so bizzare now. But, I still think religions are interesting, and one can hardly blame those who are initiated, indoctrinated, etc., into their religions from birth (as I was).

There are several atheists who are outspoken leaders and also have compassion for the religious. Daniel Dennette, Dan Barker, Robert Price, Jerry DeWitt come to mind.

I have given in to my desire to mock people for their ridiculous beliefs, but I don't feel proud for doing so. I do enjoy pointing out the flaws and contradictions in the Bible, but I think that can be done respectfully
[+] 2 users Like anonymous66's post
11-12-2013, 01:13 AM
(10-12-2013 07:48 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  @ the OP. It's still a difficult topic for me. I identified as a Christian for nearly 4 decades. The entire idea of a supernatural entity just looks so bizzare now. But, I still think religions are interesting, and one can hardly blame those who are initiated, indoctrinated, etc., into their religions from birth (as I was).

There are several atheists who are outspoken leaders and also have compassion for the religious. Daniel Dennette, Dan Barker, Robert Price, Jerry DeWitt come to mind.

I have given in to my desire to mock people for their ridiculous beliefs, but I don't feel proud for doing so. I do enjoy pointing out the flaws and contradictions in the Bible, but I think that can be done respectfully

Ah well, anyone who agrees with his superego, i.e. his real "God," that I deserve to be burnt like a piece of objectionable rubbish - forever - for daring to disagree with His fucked up philosophy should at the very least expect some harsh criticism and/or heaps of humiliation. Indeed, they should be so fucking thankful that's all they get, that they don't get the shit kicked out of them, as they really deserve. Beat_stick
11-12-2013, 08:37 AM
If they have respect for me, then I have respect for them. I may not respect their beliefs or religion, but I never will openly attack anyone without provocation, especially with repulsive memes that are only meant to hurt believers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Truth or wishful thinking? Youkay 18 636 29-10-2013 12:48 PM
Last Post: Youkay