Am I an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Am I an atheist?
Or an agnostic? Or somewhere in between if that is possible.

I don't believe in god and have no time for organised religion. I don't believe in spirits or an afterlife or any sort of all powerful being or heaven and hell etc. though I do believe in evolution.

I have the idea that there is something 'out there' where the answer might lie though have no idea where or what form it might take.

So....any input appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2010, 06:42 AM
RE: Am I an atheist?
Sounds to me like you're an agnostic atheist. You don't believe in a god (atheist) but you don't believe that the existence of a god can be disproven (agnostic). Or something. Your position is rather foggy. Can you elaborate a little further?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2010, 08:34 AM

At the least, I believe you are an atheist (simply by your comment "I don't believe in god and have no time for organised religion. I don't believe in spirits or an afterlife or any sort of all powerful being or heaven and hell etc.")

The fact that you believe in evolution (to me) means you adhere to evidence to show why the world around us is what it is. To this, I commend you. Smile

Your final statement "I have the idea that there is something 'out there' where the answer might lie though have no idea where or what form it might take." is the same thought process of most Atheists I have seen on the Internet...if the evidence points to something 'supernatural' and it is testable, verifiable, repeatable, then we can accept it as fact...however, the current theories on the origin of the universe are sufficient until we get a better understanding (science is ALWAYS testing their theories and working towards proving them, that is why it is so valiant a field).

Your thoughts are very similar to mine...I'm an Atheist! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Oh, never mind.

Phu Cat
13-06-2016, 01:51 PM
To me, there is nothing out there about science.
13-06-2016, 01:55 PM
You don't believe in a god, that makes you an atheist by simple definition of the term. If you think it's a possibility or you think there is a god but it needs to be re-defined like " The energy in the universe that brought about the conditions that created life." than you are a pantheist or just an agnostic since you're open to the possibility. You are definitely an atheist if you lack the belief in any god or gods.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
13-06-2016, 01:56 PM
NOOBS:
Necro-posting is bad form.

It makes the face: Angry

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Best necro ever, I think so. Angel

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Necros don't bother me. And they actually help the forum - google watches everything and attaches values to it. Necros mean that old info here is still valuable and google feels that we deserve better exposure because of it....so it works in favor of the forum.

So you think there is something out there? I do too. I think that something farted and caused the big bang. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-06-2016, 03:36 PM
(13-06-2016 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  ---
So you think there is something out there? I do too. I think that something farted and caused the big bang. Big Grin

Oh, that's just silly, Dom! JUZT SILLY!!

If that was true, they would have called it The Big Fart! Blink

Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post