Am I bad person for not liking kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2015, 08:52 AM
RE: Am I bad person for not liking kids?
(28-03-2015 03:15 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 02:46 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Do I think you're "bad" for disliking chokdren?

Uhm what is a chokdren? Consider Tongue

What you get when auto correct fails to correct drunk posting. Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
28-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Re: Am I bad person for not liking kids?
My understanding of child development and psychology does not affect my general dislike of children.
Does my dislike mean I expect children to act like tiny adults? Or that I am cruel and hateful to children? No. Does it mean that feel no love or compassion for children? Again, no. I simply dislike children.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
28-03-2015, 09:20 AM
(28-03-2015 08:52 AM)mecanna Wrote:  My understanding of child development and psychology does not affect my general dislike of children.
Does my dislike mean I expect children to act like tiny adults? Or that I am cruel and hateful to children? No. Does it mean that feel no love or compassion for children? Again, no. I simply dislike children.

i don't mean this as a criticism but to better understand your pov.
i apologize for assuming things, most of the people i've met who avoid children dislike the behavior they perceive as immature, or disruptive to adult imposed cultural standards.

and i'm referencing the definition of dislike just to make sure i understand your use of the term.

verb (used with object), disliked, disliking.
to regard with displeasure, antipathy, or aversion:

what do you define as children? (age group)
have you spent a lot of time with many different children in order to to come to your current stance?
do you dislike any other group of people based solely on a single characteristic that is beyond their ability to control?

fyi i don't think your a terrible person, and i am very supportive to anyone who says "i don't want kids" or "i dislike when people try to talk me into having kids"
28-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Years ago a pastor was trying to start up a Boy Scout troup in the little town where we lived. My son was the right age for it and we were looking for an activity for him. In an effort to help, I offered to do the secretary/treasurer stuff. I explained to the pastor that I am not good with a large group of kids but did want to contribute.

I am aware of my limits and that's one of them. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Funny how some responses here actually seem to side with the OP's family who want to force him into liking kids because they can't imagine it any other way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
28-03-2015, 10:12 AM
(27-03-2015 08:25 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with not liking kids. Frankly, I've never understood why people want to pressure someone who doesn't want kinds into having them!

Misery loves company?

"Kids" are a very diverse group. Some are okay - most are assholes like their parents.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
28-03-2015, 05:43 PM
(28-03-2015 09:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Years ago a pastor was trying to start up a Boy Scout troup in the little town where we lived. My son was the right age for it and we were looking for an activity for him. In an effort to help, I offered to do the secretary/treasurer stuff. I explained to the pastor that I am not good with a large group of kids but did want to contribute.

I am aware of my limits and that's one of them. It's not good or bad, it just is.

Funny how some responses here actually seem to side with the OP's family who want to force him into liking kids because they can't imagine it any other way.

I take it you are aware that the BSA does not let atheists join????

Since they came down that way, I've decided that they're a bunch of fucktards and will have no further dealings with them....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-03-2015, 06:11 PM
(28-03-2015 05:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 09:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Years ago a pastor was trying to start up a Boy Scout troup in the little town where we lived. My son was the right age for it and we were looking for an activity for him. In an effort to help, I offered to do the secretary/treasurer stuff. I explained to the pastor that I am not good with a large group of kids but did want to contribute.

I take it you are aware that the BSA does not let atheists join????

Since they came down that way, I've decided that they're a bunch of fucktards and will have no further dealings with them....

That was 20 years ago and I wasn't terribly vocal about being a non-believer due to where we lived. My son wasn't a believer or non...he was 7. He didn't give a shit either way and I wasn't going to choose his worldview for him.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
29-03-2015, 05:52 AM
(28-03-2015 06:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 05:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I take it you are aware that the BSA does not let atheists join????

That was 20 years ago and I wasn't terribly vocal about being a non-believer due to where we lived. My son wasn't a believer or non...he was 7. He didn't give a shit either way and I wasn't going to choose his worldview for him.

Ahhh OK....

They've gotten snooty since then.... There was an Eagle Scout that got kicked out, when he said he was an atheist not too many years ago. You can find it on Google...... Now when the BSA does it's panhandling gig in front of Wal-Mart - I tell them -- "You don't want my filthy atheist money"........

That's always good for a laugh....

(add -- http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2002/11/At...uting.aspx )

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-03-2015, 07:10 PM
If you don't want kids, don't have any. No skin off anyone's nuts. I will say that due to your age, your attitude could change in the future. If it doesn't, that's ok too.
29-03-2015, 07:13 PM
You're not a bad person for not liking kids. I don't like them either. Annoying little bastards. Not liking something doesn't make you a bad person, even if that something is a living thing.
On a personal note, don't let the old people talk down to you ("Oh, you're just young; you could/will change your mind in the future").

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?