Am I becoming a fundamentalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Am I becoming a fundamentalist?
I have never been religious and non of my closest friends have never been that either that i know of.

I've been listening to your podcasts and a lot of Hitchens and Dawkins and it is all really clear to me.

I can't realize how anyone with a half of a brain can believe in those stories.

The more I think of it the less I think of differemt POV is legit. Im getting mad at people now for not getting how extremely stupid religion is.

Am I becoming an fundamentalist ?
Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 05:22 PM
RE: Am I becoming a fundamentalist?
(24-06-2011 04:48 PM)Borka Wrote:  .....
I have never been religious and non of my closest friends have never been that either that i know of.

I've been listening to your podcasts and a lot of Hitchens and Dawkins and it is all really clear to me.

The more I think of it the less I think of differemt POV is legit. Im getting mad at people now for not getting how extremely stupid religion is.

Not as long as you don't start proselytizing.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2011, 05:46 PM
(24-06-2011 04:48 PM)Borka Wrote:  .....

Nope, don't go trying to convert people to the Good News of Atheism or something and you're fine. Plus it is ok to be fundamentalist about some things. Like being fundamentalist about whether rape is wrong or that Evolution is fact etc.

"Do what though wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - The Book of the Law
"There is no God but man" - Liber OZ

Light and Nature

Tweet!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2011, 06:00 PM
When you get into something it's going to take a while to calm down. I used this site to stop me from crashing a bus =p Just talk it out, because while their ideas shouldn't have so much power you have to accept that they do for now.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
24-06-2011, 10:19 PM
It is great that you have the self awareness that you may be becoming opinionated.

My take on this issue is as follows.

There is no doubt that we are over exposed to Christian ideas. Christians have invaded the media and schools. Nearly no one blinks when a president says "god bless you", or "let's pray for..."

We should make a stand against this. Not a shouting, aggressive stand, but we should be proudly proactive in voicing our objections. If someone says "god bless you" to me when I sneeze, I reply that I genuinely thankyou for your concern but I don't believe in god. When I hear "I/we will pray for you/ them", I point out that it would be more beneficial to actually physically help the person in some way.

I encourage my brothers and sisters to teach their children about all religions but to make it clear to the children's teachers that there is to be no praying or hymns.

I make a stand against misogynists, racism and homophobia.

I do try, however, to genuinely listen to Christian's points of view, and I acknowledge that I have heard them before I reply with my own version of truth.

Cheers, Mark
24-06-2011, 10:47 PM
(24-06-2011 10:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  We should make a stand against this. Not a shouting, aggressive stand, but we should be proudly proactive in voicing our objections.

Why?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
24-06-2011, 11:17 PM
(24-06-2011 10:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-06-2011 10:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  We should make a stand against this. Not a shouting, aggressive stand, but we should be proudly proactive in voicing our objections.

Why?

Because the fundamental Christian agenda, as determined by reading the bible, has elements of
-racism
-intolerance
-homophobia
-sexism
-anti scientific, rational thought.

In addition, in my opinion, Christian philosophy and history is not based on a foundation of truth, and I believe that is immoral. Particularly if it is taught to trusting impressionable children as the truth.

In addition, in my opinion, the driving force behind the promotion of Christianity is all about the power and money of churches. I grant them their right to advertise, but not their right to indoctrinate children. I will vocalise my objections to their advertising in the same way I will press the mute on a remote control when an advertisement for Macdonald's hamburgers come on.
25-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Why? "No marginalised group of people in history have ever won their rights and recognition by sitting down and quietly waiting for it to happen." - VoodooSix (youtuber Tongue)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
25-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Keeping quiet and looking the other way while the thugs do their worst is the best way to become the next victim, as was demonstrated in Germany in the 1930's. We need "fundamentalists" like Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens to fight for reason against ignorance and intolerance for humanity to progress.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes hotrodmike's post
25-06-2011, 04:53 AM

(24-06-2011 10:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It is great that you have the self awareness that you may be becoming opinionated.

My take on this issue is as follows.

There is no doubt that we are over exposed to Christian ideas. Christians have invaded the media and schools. Nearly no one blinks when a president says "god bless you", or "let's pray for..."

We should make a stand against this. Not a shouting, aggressive stand, but we should be proudly proactive in voicing our objections. If someone says "god bless you" to me when I sneeze, I reply that I genuinely thankyou for your concern but I don't believe in god. When I hear "I/we will pray for you/ them", I point out that it would be more beneficial to actually physically help the person in some way.

I encourage my brothers and sisters to teach their children about all religions but to make it clear to the children's teachers that there is to be no praying or hymns.

I make a stand against misogynists, racism and homophobia.

I do try, however, to genuinely listen to Christian's points of view, and I acknowledge that I have heard them before I reply with my own version of truth.

Cheers, Mark

Is there really a need to point out (or maybe you are correcting them) to people
that you don't believe in god?

It is good to see you acknowledge it is your version of the truth.

Sign of a mature minded person.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sweetpea's post