Yes
No, just a phase
[Show Results]

Am I becoming a homosexual?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 01:06 PM
RE: Am I becoming a homosexual?
I don't like the idea of the spectrum, it divides people into categories, it also makes bisexuality a sub-category, and everything becomes hierarchical again.
Sexuality isn't so simple, it's like a constantly changing field of attraction and sexual acts to/with different types of people and bodies. We say we "are" this or that to simplify and to communicate our predominant feelings, but those labels are not out identity any more than our ice cream tastes are our identity, I'm not a chocolate-ist, I just like chocolate. In the same way, I'm not a homosexual, I just like dudes.

Granted, the labels are useful, but when we spend more time analysing the labels than the actual feelings behind them, then things get messy...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
(12-11-2013 01:06 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I don't like the idea of the spectrum, it divides people into categories, it also makes bisexuality a sub-category, and everything becomes hierarchical again.
Sexuality isn't so simple, it's like a constantly changing field of attraction and sexual acts to/with different types of people and bodies. We say we "are" this or that to simplify and to communicate our predominant feelings, but those labels are not out identity any more than our ice cream tastes are our identity, I'm not a chocolate-ist, I just like chocolate. In the same way, I'm not a homosexual, I just like dudes.

Granted, the labels are useful, but when we spend more time analysing the labels than the actual feelings behind them, then things get messy...

Fuck you, I'm a chocolatist!

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
12-11-2013, 01:52 PM
(12-11-2013 05:23 AM)Vosur Wrote:  So... nobody is going to call me out on the fact that Freud has been dead for a long time? Dodgy

Ha - I was going to but, I wanted to read the rest of the thread. Big Grin
Besides, Freud is so 20th Century; he presented some interesting ideas and got people talking. Foundation is not the entire of progress. Dodgy

My gay test....
YOUR RESULT
You COULD Be Gay!
Well which is it? Men? Women? Both? The results are inconclusive here. On one hand, you are someone we could see running out of the closet in full drag, doing jazz-hands...but then you wouldn't be so out of place shot-gunning Schlitz and cat-calling at local soccer moms either. You are confused yourself, and you have sufficiently confused us.
We don't really know what you are.

Blink

(12-11-2013 01:06 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I don't like the idea of the spectrum, it divides people into categories, it also makes bisexuality a sub-category, and everything becomes hierarchical again.

^^This^^
I tend to agree with this... and as Robby pointed out from the Kinsey results, sexuality fluctuates throughout life. Consider Now that I think about it... maybe my "test result" is somewhat accurate, in it's inability to pin point exactly what I am.

A spectrum or standardized test - even just for fun or for the purpose of labeling - wouldn't begin to give an entirely accurate picture of anyone. I think going with the flow is simply one's best bet. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
(12-11-2013 01:52 PM)kim Wrote:  Ha - I was going to but, I wanted to read the rest of the thread. Big Grin
I needed someone to set up my picture response, but you blew it. Weeping

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-11-2013, 03:03 PM

I'll have to disagree. A spectrum is continuous, every variation is there without a label.

'Spectrum' is the right word as it doesn't categorize, one thing shades to another.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
muffs, aside from you terrible painting, what the fuck is a dudet? Laugh out load

12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
(12-11-2013 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I'll have to disagree. A spectrum is continuous, every variation is there without a label.

'Spectrum' is the right word as it doesn't categorize, one thing shades to another.

If we could accept and actually work with that I'd agree, but we don't, the extremes of the spectrum become point of reference from where we judge the rest, and they're never equal.

The idea of the spectrum also comes from a preconceived notion of sex and gender. An intersex person can't, by definition, be anywhere on the spectrum, he/she doesn't have the "proper" body to be hetero or homosexual.

I think that sex/gender/sexuality is too nuanced to be fixated on a spectrum, the idea of shades and blurred lines can't account for the diversity of bodies, minds and feelings.

It is better than a simple man/woman, hetero/homo binary, but the spectrum is the same binary, only with blurred lines.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I kind of have to wonder if our species has moved to this wider scope of diversity over the millions of years of evolution. Consider I guess I want to ask; would a spectrum be more applicable in caveman days than now? Wouldn't definition be more explicit in the early years of our species?

Something interesting from caveman days to domesticity... There is an interesting theory that our species in general finds the naked human back sexually appealing because it indicated a lack of fleas. I gotta say, I'm all for no fleas. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-11-2013, 04:34 PM
(12-11-2013 04:00 PM)kim Wrote:  I kind of have to wonder if our species has moved to this wider scope of diversity over the millions of years of evolution. Consider I guess I want to ask; would a spectrum be more applicable in caveman days than now? Wouldn't definition be more explicit in the early years of our species?

Something interesting from caveman days to domesticity... There is an interesting theory that our species in general finds the naked human back sexually appealing because it indicated a lack of fleas. I gotta say, I'm all for no fleas. Wink

Mayhaps we are evolving in a way that will keep the population in control somewhat better.

I prefer flea free skin too... Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I had no clue you were a pup TTT.
"Am I becoming a homosexual?"
No. You're already you. You're discovering who you already are, whatever that is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.