Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 09:00 AM by Im_Ryan.)
Am I being Racist?
OK, so I live in Orange County, California. Today I took my mom out for breakfast at a restaurant called Souplantation (I believe it's called The Ripe Tomato in other locations, it's basically a healthy buffet) and there was some sort of Asian gathering (I would assume a family reunion but, I couldn't really tell [no pun intended]). They were the most rude, arrogant, nasty and disrespectful people I've ever met. They have no control of their young, they break restaurant utensils and just walk away like nothing happened, they spill food every where, treat the staff like maids, walk around like they are better than everyone else with their nose in the air and even cut in line! I've seriously never been so fucking pissed off and offended at the same time in my life! The worst part is, this isn't the first time! It seems every Asian I meet (that is within the first or second generation born in America [yes I can tell]) is that way! I can only get along with third or more generation Asians. I confronted one woman at the restaurant who literally walked in front of (I was in line) to take the last cinnamon roll from me and she called me a "racist American with no respect" then muttered something under her breath in Asian. You have no idea how much it took out of me to not back hand her right there. Are you kidding me??
Can anyone of oriental descent explain the "nose in the air" attitude to me? Cause it seems to be a social issue.
Other than that I feel justified for my responses and feelings towards them, but, I would like a second opinion.
Was I being racist? Or was I justified?

Edit: Due to the comments basically saying I'm too ignorant to know the difference between "Asians" I would like to make a few points:
1. I was half asleep when wrote this, I was waiting for my laundry to finish for work in the morning. I really don't remembering writing most of this, but after rereading it kind of came back to me.
2. I apologize if the word "oriental" is offensive, I was unaware of this. Thanks for telling me.
3. The reason I did not specify was because I did not want to sound racist (yes, ironically doing so). The group I was speaking of was Chinese and I'm pretty sure it was a family reunion of some sort.
4. I have Chinese and Vietnamese family, and best friends. I have grown up with them, so I like to think I can spot little things that tell what "generation" a person is (and this does not only apply to Asians, but it's easier because of the bigger cultural differences)
5. I was not saying that because of "race" they are rude, I was trying to communicate the social differences. You can not argue that each is different in some way. I understand this, and try to be tolerate but some times it becomes overbearing (like in the situation mentioned above)
6. All of what I am saying is based on personal experience, I am not trying to be racist. I am pointing out what I feel which I believe is rooted in cultural difference. Like in the example of "walking with your nose in the air". No, they are not the only people that do it. But it seems to reoccur with the elder "Asians" (meaning not particular to one group, but all that i met) who are normally a first generation, that they will walk and around and not even acknowledge your existence. They literally will push me aside (by taking up all the room to walk in tight hallways, not physically pushing) and not say a word. What's the deal with that?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
13-01-2014, 12:57 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
Yes. Dodgy

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
13-01-2014, 01:08 AM
What I mean is, yes you are justified in being annoyed by the people who were rude at the restaurant. AND Yes, you are being racist. Not all Asian people are the same. They don't even come from the same cou try let alone the same culture, and to claim you have some inside knowledge on what generation American a stranger is...I doubt it. Also, oriental descent? Wtf.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
13-01-2014, 02:41 AM
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I confronted one woman at the restaurant who literally walked in front of (I was in line) to take the last cinnamon roll from me and she called me a "racist American with no respect" then muttered something under her breath in Asian.

There is no such language as "Asian".

Quote:Can anyone of oriental descent explain the "nose in the air" attitude to me?

This is where you should have used the adjective "Asian". "Oriental" is old-fashioned and some would say offensive.

Quote:Was I being racist? Or was I justified?

If your account of the facts is accurate then they were being rude and antisocial.

You seem to believe that the people from the Far East (and their descendants in North America) comprise a single homogeneous group: "a bunch of slanty-eyed and yellow-skinned people that speak Asian". That's racist.

Asia isn't a country where they speak Asian--that's just in your imagination. I'm surprised that you don't even know enough about the ethnic composition of your own country to distinguish the various Asians that comprise part of the USA population.

You should be able to at least identify the two Asian countries that the USA bombed into oblivion: Japan and Vietnam. You should also know Korea from M.A.S.H.--the war-based sit-com.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
13-01-2014, 02:47 AM
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, so I live in Orange County, California. Today I took my mom out for breakfast at a restaurant called Souplantation (I believe it's called The Ripe Tomato in other locations, it's basically a healthy buffet) and there was some sort of Asian gathering (I would assume a family reunion but, I couldn't really tell [no pun intended]).

What is the pun in what you described?

An "Asian gathering"? If you saw a group of European-Americans would you describe it as a "European gathering"? If you saw a group of African-Americans would you describe it as "some sort of African gathering"?
13-01-2014, 03:03 AM
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...walk around like they are better than everyone else...

They are better than everyone else:

[Image: asian-american-pew-research.jpg]

They also have higher mean IQ scores:

[Image: 8a-smart.jpg]

And they are generally better at math:

[Image: race-differences-in-iq-thirty-years-of-r...gure-2.png]

[Image: SAT-math-by-race-ethnicity.png]

[Image: Pisa-full-results-graphic-008.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like Chippy's post
13-01-2014, 03:03 AM
South Koreans, extremely pleasant people. Japanese, also very pleasant. Indians, ehhh, they're nice enough but good luck understanding a damn thing that comes out of their mouth and believe it or not they're speaking 'English'. Malaysians, also very pleasant people. Philippians, meh they're ok.
Chinese?? rude as fuck. Arrogant cuntwards, all 1.5billion of them. It's the culture, they're like little Asian nazi's minus the genocide.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-01-2014, 03:06 AM
(13-01-2014 03:03 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...walk around like they are better than everyone else...

They are better than everyone else:

[Image: asian-american-pew-research.jpg]

They also have higher mean IQ scores:

[Image: 8a-smart.jpg]

And they are generally better at math:

[Image: race-differences-in-iq-thirty-years-of-r...gure-2.png]

[Image: SAT-math-by-race-ethnicity.png]

[Image: Pisa-full-results-graphic-008.jpg]

Does this give me a free pass to look down at black people?

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Yes, because you grouped them as rude for their race instead of grouping them as just a bunch of human assholes.
[+] 2 users Like jaxx's post
13-01-2014, 03:10 AM
(13-01-2014 03:07 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Yes, because you grouped them as rude for their race instead of grouping them as just a bunch of human assholes.

That doesn't make sense...

What am I suppose to say? Those humans that all have the funny eyes and live/originate/have heritage in the region we call China, are all arrogant assholes!

It seems needless complicated.