Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 10:15 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
Joking aside mate. ... and this isn't an attack, I'm merely going off what you have given us in this thread. If you are only getting on with 'Americanized' people, that's maybe the problem. The common denominator I was alluding to is YOU my friend.

Which is the point a few of us on here may be angling at Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 10:15 AM
(13-01-2014 10:11 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:08 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  "father goes to mexico and I usually go with him" ??? As if that's a huge accomplishment against being racist?

Um...........

ok.................

I was raised in the south and know well how difficult it can be to retrain your brain to think another way than your own background. But it can be done.
Program yourself to see People. Just people. Not their ethnicity nor their skin tone; not their accent........... not their hair texture, not their social advantages or lack of advantages.......

just start training yourself to see people as People.

Instead of pointing to a gal who looks to be of Island decent............ you See a girl in a yellow dress not a gal of Island decent.
Ok..............

You can do it.

You need to want to do it though. Keep that in mind. k?

Wait what? You totally misunderstood the point of the story. It was not the fact that I'm going to Mexico, it was that I can make fun of myself and my own race.
Besides that, it nothing to do with this thread, it was in response to "reverse racism".
And yeah, I come from the South originally as well.

Pumpkin you are missing the point.
YOU Said you didn't want to BE racist. I am offering a suggestion to HELP you.

jesusBlink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-01-2014, 10:24 AM
(13-01-2014 07:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ....
Less being polite, more forcing others to be polite.

My point was that politeness (or lack of) is culturally relative.

So what it comes down to is ... which is best? Assimilation or diversity.

It's got nothing to do with assimilation or diversity...
It has all to do with "this is wrong, it needs to be fixed".

Islamic countries have some rather 'out-there' cultures. Hell, in some of those countries they execute people based on their sexual orientation.
Are you suggesting that we embrace this part of their culture??

No of course not, you're not a twat.

This is obviously not such an extreme situation BUT it's exactly the same principle.
They're arrogant assholes because that's their culture. It's bullshit and needs to change and to blame it on "oh that's their culture it's excusable" is total horse ass bullshit.

Also, I'm not promoting everyone should be the same. I'm all for experiencing different cultures and people expressing their culture and all that shit. BUT you can experience a culture such as Chinese without the needless arrogance and rudeness.
Just like you can experience Nigerian culture without being strung up.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-01-2014, 10:26 AM
(13-01-2014 10:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Fair enough.
I'm being defensive because people misunderstand what I'm saying (yes, this is my fault to begin with I know), but as I said before I was not totally awake when wrote that and have been trying to better explain/fix my mistake through the responses.

Yeah, got that. I've read the posts.

But now you're being defensive about being defensive. Laughat

Suggestion: Change tactic and ask for an "as is" analysis (which some have already provided) and then suggestions for a "to be" state.

OK, then would you give me a suggested "to be" state?

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:29 AM
(13-01-2014 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My point was that politeness (or lack of) is culturally relative.

Islamic countries have some rather 'out-there' cultures. Hell, in some of those countries they execute people based on their sexual orientation.

This is obviously not such an extreme situation BUT it's exactly the same principle.
They're arrogant assholes because that's their culture. It's bullshit and needs to change and to blame it on "oh that's their culture it's excusable" is total horse ass bullshit.

Also, I'm not promoting everyone should be the same. I'm all for experiencing different cultures and people expressing their culture and all that shit. BUT you can experience a culture such as Chinese without the needless arrogance and rudeness.

This is more or less what I'm trying to say...

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:32 AM
(13-01-2014 10:15 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:11 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Wait what? You totally misunderstood the point of the story. It was not the fact that I'm going to Mexico, it was that I can make fun of myself and my own race.
Besides that, it nothing to do with this thread, it was in response to "reverse racism".
And yeah, I come from the South originally as well.

Pumpkin you are missing the point.
YOU Said you didn't want to BE racist. I am offering a suggestion to HELP you.

jesusBlink

I already do that. I'm not as racist as my original thread sounded. My response was to your first part "as if that's a huge accomplishment against racism".

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:33 AM
(13-01-2014 10:29 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's got nothing to do with assimilation or diversity...

This is more or less what I'm trying to say...

Sure, I haven't read the rest of the thread so I dunno what's the conversation's about for the last 6 pages.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-01-2014, 10:36 AM
(13-01-2014 10:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My point was that politeness (or lack of) is culturally relative.

I find myself agreeing with this in essence but based on my own experience I think a lot of the time we can perceive behaviour as arrogant or offensive when it's not. Or at least not intended to be. I only speak for myself here but when I was younger, I know there were occasions where cultures collided and I had inadvertently caused the initial offence. I'm talking about innocuous things here like addressing people correctly or table manners. I agree wholeheartedly about the crazy shit though. Thumbsup

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
13-01-2014, 10:37 AM
(13-01-2014 10:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:29 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  This is more or less what I'm trying to say...

Sure, I haven't read the rest of the thread so I dunno what's the conversation's about for the last 6 pages.

My original thread was way more harsh than I meant it to be because I want entirely awake when writing it. So all the other pages are me trying to correct myself but being able to effectively communicate it the way I mean.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:40 AM
(13-01-2014 10:15 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Joking aside mate. ... and this isn't an attack, I'm merely going off what you have given us in this thread. If you are only getting on with 'Americanized' people, that's maybe the problem. The common denominator I was alluding to is YOU my friend.

Which is the point a few of us on here may be angling at Smile

Yes I realize that.
Read the post by DLJ, THAT is what I'M trying to angle at. I just couldn't really explain it so I sound way more racist than I actually am...

Atir aissom atir imon