Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 03:38 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
@Chip, You just did but w/e

Quote:I know, I'm simply pointing out that you're grouping them by race instead of more logical things. For instance, they're just a rude family or young and don't understand standard buffet customs! Plus, you mentioned that all 1st and 2nd gens are that way, you must know that is a gross exaggeration.

I'm not the OP..
I thought you were talking to me. I was talking about all Chinese people.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 03:39 AM
(13-01-2014 03:36 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Plus, you mentioned that all 1st and 2nd gens are that way, you must know that is a gross exaggeration.

Muffs isn't the OP.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 03:47 AM
My bad, sorry.
13-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Oh come on. You will find asshole children like this everywhere.

Just look at how kids are raised these days to be fat little cunt princesses who believe that they are entitled to everything and believe the entire planet rotates arround their fat asses.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
13-01-2014, 04:17 AM
Race? Race is a social construct. So often people as angry as you sound---punching someone in the um what--need to look deeper inside themselves rather than at others, especially at groups of others.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
13-01-2014, 04:22 AM
It's now comes in an edible form so everyone can enjoy it:

[Image: german-type-sexual-harassment.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
13-01-2014, 05:07 AM
"The problem with close-minded people is that their mouths are always open" ~Anonymous

What I find is that very angry people usually find a group of people to exercise their demons on. And the, now I feel better about myself is a false fix. Look deep inside yourself for what is eating you.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
13-01-2014, 06:04 AM
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, so I live in Orange County, California. Today I took my mom out for breakfast at a restaurant called Souplantation (I believe it's called The Ripe Tomato in other locations, it's basically a healthy buffet) and there was some sort of Asian gathering (I would assume a family reunion but, I couldn't really tell [no pun intended]). They were the most rude, arrogant, nasty and disrespectful people I've ever met. They have no control of their young, they break restaurant utensils and just walk away like nothing happened, they spill food every where, treat the staff like maids, walk around like they are better than everyone else with their nose in the air and even cut in line! I've seriously never been so fucking pissed off and offended at the same time in my life! The worst part is, this isn't the first time! It seems every Asian I meet (that is within the first or second generation born in America [yes I can tell]) is that way! I can only get along with third or more generation Asians. I confronted one woman at the restaurant who literally walked in front of (I was in line) to take the last cinnamon roll from me and she called me a "racist American with no respect" then muttered something under her breath in Asian. You have no idea how much it took out of me to not back hand her right there. Are you kidding me??
Can anyone of oriental descent explain the "nose in the air" attitude to me? Cause it seems to be a social issue.
Other than that I feel justified for my responses and feelings towards them, but, I would like a second opinion.
Was I being racist? Or was I justified?

A little bit racist. The people you described do sound like total pricks, though. Try not to look down on all Asians because of that incident.
13-01-2014, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 08:31 AM by DLJ.)
Yes there are differences between east and west cultures. Likewise north and south.

Yes the OP was generalising and generalisation by that human construction we call race, is racism.

You can also find those generalisations in frequent use by the different ethnic groups in Asia.

One often hears Singaporean and Malaysian Chinese complaining about the Chinese Chinese because of their inability to queue.

It became a problem on the MRT (train, tube) so they've done awareness campaigns and floor markings to try to re-educate.

Spitting in public is another one. You don't get 'No Spitting' signs in England.

On the other hand, picking your teeth after a meal will get mutterings of disgust from my Vietnamese friends.

And not acknowledging when you hold open a door is a personal bugbear.

The reasons for the cultural differences in a social evolution sense, are quite intriguing and I don't fully understand them all but I think the non-queuing thing comes from a culture that had 300 years of feudal wars and starvation perhaps with later years of over-population.

When in Beijing and e.g. Ho Chi Minh airport check-in, it's really hard to assimilate and just step in front of people
But I've seen friends who happily queue when in Singapore, will switch to non-queue mode when in Vietnam.

We adapt, I guess.

Try not to get upset because of your own cultural conditioning and see through the eyes of an anthropologist.
... better for your blood pressure.

13-01-2014, 06:35 AM
.... oh, and I'm told that the Japanese think that westerners smell horrible.

I think they must be referring to the French!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post