Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 07:37 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
Part of the problem of this no queuing business is people don't speak up when other people cut in a queue.
More people just need them to get to the fucking back of the line.

Less being polite, more forcing others to be polite.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 07:57 AM
(13-01-2014 07:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ....

My point was that politeness (or lack of) is culturally relative.

So what it comes down to is ... which is best? Assimilation or diversity.

13-01-2014, 08:06 AM
(13-01-2014 07:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ....

My point was that politeness (or lack of) is culturally relative.

So what it comes down to is ... which is best? Assimilation or diversity.

xD

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
13-01-2014, 08:21 AM
(13-01-2014 02:41 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I confronted one woman at the restaurant who literally walked in front of (I was in line) to take the last cinnamon roll from me and she called me a "racist American with no respect" then muttered something under her breath in Asian.

There is no such language as "Asian".

Quote:Can anyone of oriental descent explain the "nose in the air" attitude to me?

This is where you should have used the adjective "Asian". "Oriental" is old-fashioned and some would say offensive.

Quote:Was I being racist? Or was I justified?

If your account of the facts is accurate then they were being rude and antisocial.

You seem to believe that the people from the Far East (and their descendants in North America) comprise a single homogeneous group: "a bunch of slanty-eyed and yellow-skinned people that speak Asian". That's racist.

Asia isn't a country where they speak Asian--that's just in your imagination. I'm surprised that you don't even know enough about the ethnic composition of your own country to distinguish the various Asians that comprise part of the USA population.

You should be able to at least identify the two Asian countries that the USA bombed into oblivion: Japan and Vietnam. You should also know Korea from M.A.S.H.--the war-based sit-com.

I in fact do know the difference. When said "Asian" or Oriental" (I apologize if that offended anyone, I didn't know it was offensive) I was just being general. The group that offended me was in fact Chinese. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese and Chinese. Also, part of my family is Chinese and Vietnamese. I can tell the difference between Japanese as well. The reason I was being general is because I did not want to throw one group under the bus.
(I was also very tired when wrote this and it was not well thought out)

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 08:23 AM
(13-01-2014 01:08 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  What I mean is, yes you are justified in being annoyed by the people who were rude at the restaurant. AND Yes, you are being racist. Not all Asian people are the same. They don't even come from the same cou try let alone the same culture, and to claim you have some inside knowledge on what generation American a stranger is...I doubt it. Also, oriental descent? Wtf.

I know not all Asians are the same, I know there are multiple groups. Just in my experience, they all have the same attitude towards me. All of what said is from personal experience.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Full listing of image posted by Chippy.

Very disappoint-lah to see Singapore so low down the list.

[Image: PISAFULLLITERACYWEB.png]

13-01-2014, 08:27 AM
(13-01-2014 02:47 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, so I live in Orange County, California. Today I took my mom out for breakfast at a restaurant called Souplantation (I believe it's called The Ripe Tomato in other locations, it's basically a healthy buffet) and there was some sort of Asian gathering (I would assume a family reunion but, I couldn't really tell [no pun intended]).

What is the pun in what you described?

An "Asian gathering"? If you saw a group of European-Americans would you describe it as a "European gathering"? If you saw a group of African-Americans would you describe it as "some sort of African gathering"?

Pun being "all Asians look a like, I was trying to not be offensive... Apparently ironically doing so.
Honestly that's good question. I'm currently thinking about that... I don't know what I would say. It's just there was group of Chinese that looked like a family reunion. I was very tired when I wrote this, I actually honestly don't really remember writing most of it.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 08:30 AM
(13-01-2014 03:03 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 12:01 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...walk around like they are better than everyone else...

They are better than everyone else:

[Image: asian-american-pew-research.jpg]

They also have higher mean IQ scores:

[Image: 8a-smart.jpg]

And they are generally better at math:

[Image: race-differences-in-iq-thirty-years-of-r...gure-2.png]

[Image: SAT-math-by-race-ethnicity.png]

[Image: Pisa-full-results-graphic-008.jpg]

They're not any better than anyone else. The only difference is that they have a better work ethic and study habit. Going through school (where it was mostly Korean dominated area) I was constantly beating them in grades. One time Japanese student got offended that beat her on test because I didn't study and still got a 100% while she studied all night and got a 90%. After that all she did was shit about me behind my back.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 08:31 AM
(13-01-2014 08:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  "all Asians look a like,

(1) All Asians look alike is False. Completely false.
(2) That's not a pun. It's just a stupid thing to say.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-01-2014, 08:32 AM
(13-01-2014 03:07 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Yes, because you grouped them as rude for their race instead of grouping them as just a bunch of human assholes.

But that's the question, it seems to me that IT'S SOCIAL ISSUE. In my experience, that is. So can it be racist, if it is true?

Atir aissom atir imon