Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 09:05 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
(13-01-2014 08:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 08:32 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  But that's the question, it seems to me that IT'S SOCIAL ISSUE. In my experience, that is. So can it be racist, if it is true?

If you hang out with people who think or talk like this - that doesn't make it a 'social' issue. What it means is you need better friends. Only idiots in your area? Move to where folks are a bit more progressive.........

or.........

You could do a LOT more reading and educate yourself wherever you are.

My friends are not the issue, quite the contrary: they agree with me and are actually more racist about it than would ever dare to be.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 09:06 AM
(13-01-2014 09:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 08:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If you hang out with people who think or talk like this - that doesn't make it a 'social' issue. What it means is you need better friends. Only idiots in your area? Move to where folks are a bit more progressive.........

or.........

You could do a LOT more reading and educate yourself wherever you are.

My friends are not the issue, quite the contrary: they agree with me and are actually more racist about it than would ever dare to be.

Hanging out with people who agree with you? Maybe not the best idea.
Are you like 12 years old? Cause you sound about 12 to me.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-01-2014, 09:07 AM
(13-01-2014 08:31 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 08:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  "all Asians look a like,

(1) All Asians look alike is False. Completely false.
(2) That's not a pun. It's just a stupid thing to say.

cheers

Well I was trying to say don't agree with that... But yeah, you get what I'm saying.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(13-01-2014 04:17 AM)Dee Wrote:  Race? Race is a social construct.

That's not really true. Despite the public statements on the concept of race that have been issued by various associations of anthropologists the idea remains alive and well in areas of anthropology where it is needed. Pick up any current textbook on forensic anthropology and you will find detailed detailed tables on skeletal anthropometry as it relates to race. Forensic anthropologists routinely identify the race of crime victims just from their skeletal remains. The only concession is that they will use the term ancestry instead of race but this is merely cosmetic.

Consider The Use of Forensic Anthropology which was published in 2009:

--Chapter Six is named Assessing Ancestry (Race) from the Skeleton
--This is how Chapter Six starts

[Image: 2lb15qo.png]

--If we continue into Chapter Six we find this table:

[Image: qoyjhx.png]

The notion of race is not only objectively real it is essential to forensic anthropology. The ability of forensic anthropologists to identify the race of a crime victim from just skeletal remains testifies in a powerful way to the reality of race. Were race merely a social construction it would be impossible to identify the race of a victim just from skeletal remains.

The tabooing of race in physical/biological anthropology will only retard the progress of that sub-field of anthropology and have anthropologists speaking in code--using ancestry as a stand-in for race.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
13-01-2014, 09:10 AM
(13-01-2014 09:06 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  My friends are not the issue, quite the contrary: they agree with me and are actually more racist about it than would ever dare to be.

Hanging out with people who agree with you? Maybe not the best idea.
Are you like 12 years old? Cause you sound about 12 to me.

No, I'm almost 19. And I don't hang out with them because I agree with them. I actually found that out on accident when they took me to a sushi place and *once again* we got cut in line by an older couple who didn't even acknowledge our existence. It was completely rude, and even the cashier raised an eye brow.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 09:12 AM
In my work, I run a martial arts gym and teach arts from American/Hong Kong descent. Brazil, Indonesia, The Filipines and Thailand. ... I have been fortunate enough to travel the world and train with and under some incredible people from all over the world and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I'm from a little town called Peterlee in the north east of England. It's bang in the centre of old mining communities. It isn't cosmopolitan, it's not progressive and it's very working class while English. As a young man, before my life took the direction of what I do now, I considered myself to be fairly liberal minded but look back at some of the views I held. I didn't consider myself racist. It was 'mild' stereotypes that I clung to. Germans are all engineers, Japanese are all technically minded, black americans are predisposed to crime because of poverty etc. Sort of, it's how the world is.

I was so wrong and racist through ignorance. All cultures have wankers in them. All cultures have decent and respectful in them. ... That family sound awful. Blame them personally don't attribute it to pigmentation. ... To be honest though, you sound like you could maybe do with rethinking your position a bit. 'I can tell' generations etc;and your wording in general sounds like you're making a few negative presuppositions to start with. Having asian family and friends doesn't give you a pass either, it doesn't mean you don't make incorrect or offensive judgments about them. In fact it was a vietnamese friend of mine who helped open my eyes in the first place about 15 years ago. Just because he was and is my friend, didn't mean I had things to learn and correct about myself. ... That's my opinion, for what it's worth Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
13-01-2014, 09:12 AM
(13-01-2014 09:08 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 04:17 AM)Dee Wrote:  Race? Race is a social construct.

That's not really true. Despite the public statements on the concept of race that have been issued by various associations of anthropologists the idea remains alive and well in areas of anthropology where it is needed. Pick up any current textbook on forensic anthropology and you will find detailed detailed tables on skeletal anthropometry as it relates to race. Forensic anthropologists routinely identify the race of crime victims just from their skeletal remains. The only concession is that they will use the term ancestry instead of race but this is merely cosmetic.

Consider The Use of Forensic Anthropology which was published in 2009:

--Chapter Six is named Assessing Ancestry (Race) from the Skeleton
--This is how Chapter Six starts

[Image: 2lb15qo.png]

--If we continue into Chapter Six we find this table:

[Image: qoyjhx.png]

The notion of race is not only objectively real it is essential to forensic anthropology. The ability of forensic anthropologists to identify the race of a crime victim from just skeletal remains testifies in a powerful way to the reality of race. Were race merely a social construction it would be impossible to identify the race of a victim just from skeletal remains.

The tabooing of race in physical/biological anthropology will only retard the progress of that sub-field of anthropology and have anthropologists speaking in code--using ancestry as a stand-in for race.

I believe he was talking about the social differences in the discussion, not how people look...

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 09:15 AM
(13-01-2014 09:12 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  In my work, I run a martial arts gym and teach arts from American/Hong Kong descent. Brazil, Indonesia, The Filipines and Thailand. ... I have been fortunate enough to travel the world and train with and under some incredible people from all over the world and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I'm from a little town called Peterlee in the north east of England. It's bang in the centre of old mining communities. It isn't cosmopolitan, it's not progressive and it's very working class while English. As a young man, before my life took the direction of what I do now, I considered myself to be fairly liberal minded but look back at some of the views I held. I didn't consider myself racist. It was 'mild' stereotypes that I clung to. Germans are all engineers, Japanese are all technically minded, black americans are predisposed to crime because of poverty etc. Sort of, it's how the world is.

I was so wrong and racist through ignorance. All cultures have wankers in them. All cultures have decent and respectful in them. ... That family sound awful. Blame them personally don't attribute it to pigmentation. ... To be honest though, you sound like you could maybe do with rethinking your position a bit. 'I can tell' generations etc;and your wording in general sounds like you're making a few negative presuppositions to start with. Having asian family and friends doesn't give you a pass either, it doesn't mean you don't make incorrect or offensive judgments about them. In fact it was a vietnamese friend of mine who helped open my eyes in the first place about 15 years ago. Just because he was and is my friend, didn't mean I had things to learn and correct about myself. ... That's my opinion, for what it's worth Smile

OK fair enough. I totally agree I worded the whole thread badly. It did come off way more harsh than intended. But as I keep trying to say, I'm not basing anything on how people look; rather, how they act.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
13-01-2014, 09:20 AM
(13-01-2014 09:15 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:12 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  In my work, I run a martial arts gym and teach arts from American/Hong Kong descent. Brazil, Indonesia, The Filipines and Thailand. ... I have been fortunate enough to travel the world and train with and under some incredible people from all over the world and I can't see that changing any time soon.

OK fair enough. I totally agree I worded the whole thread badly. It did come off way more harsh than intended. But as I keep trying to say, I'm not basing anything on how people look; rather, how they act.

I didn't mention how anyone looked. I'm pointing out negative assumptions based on culture mate Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
13-01-2014, 09:21 AM
(13-01-2014 09:03 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 08:46 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Yeah, it's still considered racism.

It doesn't matter if you have family or friends of that race - if you're not of that race and are attributing things to their race as a whole, it falls under racism.

I was using that an example for my experience with the different races, not an excuse.

So?

Quote: The group that offended me was in fact Chinese. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese and Chinese. Also, part of my family is Chinese and Vietnamese.

How does what I said still not work?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]