Am I being Racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Am I being Racist?
(13-01-2014 09:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:47 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I love that as soon as I mention my age that must be the typical know it all. When I made this post to actually try and educate myself, hence the title. Thanks for being a prick about it.

Ok, so rename the thread Racial Stereotyping Can Be Fun, post some comedy clips of ironic reverse-racism and let's all go and smoke some cheese.

Thumbsup

I have no problem making fun of my own race, or being comical about any race. Anyone that knows me in real life could tell you that. Hell, my father goes to Mexico all the time and usually go with him. Every time I play the stupid American that speaks Spanish with the whitest accent ever. Always gets laughs.
But I'm actually trying to be serious here, if am being racist then I want to fix it.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 10:00 AM
(13-01-2014 09:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:21 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So?

How does what I said still not work?

I'm saying that I'm not trying to excuse what I said, rather that I have some experience with other based on my upbringing and do not have a problem with the race as a whole, only a few cultural differences.

You misinterpret. I wrote that because some people actually think that disqualifies them.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
13-01-2014, 10:01 AM
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...
But I'm actually trying to be serious here, if am being racist then I want to fix it.

OK. Pro-tip...

Read what you have written and note:
a) where you have been defensive of your current position
b) where you have asked for advice as to how to change.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-01-2014, 10:02 AM
(13-01-2014 10:00 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I'm saying that I'm not trying to excuse what I said, rather that I have some experience with other based on my upbringing and do not have a problem with the race as a whole, only a few cultural differences.

You misinterpret. I wrote that because some people actually think that disqualifies them.

No, I understand what you are saying exactly. That's why I'm saying I'm not trying to disqualify myself at all.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:05 AM
(13-01-2014 10:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ...

OK. Pro-tip...

Fair enough.
I'm being defensive because people misunderstand what I'm saying (yes, this is my fault to begin with I know), but as I said before I was not totally awake when wrote that and have been trying to better explain/fix my mistake through the responses.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:08 AM
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, so rename the thread Racial Stereotyping Can Be Fun, post some comedy clips of ironic reverse-racism and let's all go and smoke some cheese.

Thumbsup

I have no problem making fun of my own race, or being comical about any race. Anyone that knows me in real life could tell you that. Hell, my father goes to Mexico all the time and usually go with him. Every time I play the stupid American that speaks Spanish with the whitest accent ever. Always gets laughs.

"father goes to mexico and I usually go with him" ??? As if that's a huge accomplishment against being racist?

Um...........

ok.................

I was raised in the south and know well how difficult it can be to retrain your brain to think another way than your own background. But it can be done.
Program yourself to see People. Just people. Not their ethnicity nor their skin tone; not their accent........... not their hair texture, not their social advantages or lack of advantages.......

just start training yourself to see people as People.

Instead of pointing to a gal who looks to be of Island decent............ you See a girl in a yellow dress not a gal of Island decent.
Ok..............

You can do it.

You need to want to do it though. Keep that in mind. k?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-01-2014, 10:10 AM
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, so rename the thread Racial Stereotyping Can Be Fun, post some comedy clips of ironic reverse-racism and let's all go and smoke some cheese.

Thumbsup

You're that guy! Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 10:11 AM
(13-01-2014 10:08 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have no problem making fun of my own race, or being comical about any race. Anyone that knows me in real life could tell you that. Hell, my father goes to Mexico all the time and usually go with him. Every time I play the stupid American that speaks Spanish with the whitest accent ever. Always gets laughs.

"father goes to mexico and I usually go with him" ??? As if that's a huge accomplishment against being racist?

Um...........

ok.................

I was raised in the south and know well how difficult it can be to retrain your brain to think another way than your own background. But it can be done.
Program yourself to see People. Just people. Not their ethnicity nor their skin tone; not their accent........... not their hair texture, not their social advantages or lack of advantages.......

just start training yourself to see people as People.

Instead of pointing to a gal who looks to be of Island decent............ you See a girl in a yellow dress not a gal of Island decent.
Ok..............

You can do it.

You need to want to do it though. Keep that in mind. k?

Wait what? You totally misunderstood the point of the story. It was not the fact that I'm going to Mexico, it was that I can make fun of myself and my own race.
Besides that, it nothing to do with this thread, it was in response to "reverse racism".
And yeah, I come from the South originally as well.

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 10:12 AM
(13-01-2014 10:05 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  OK. Pro-tip...

Fair enough.
I'm being defensive because people misunderstand what I'm saying (yes, this is my fault to begin with I know), but as I said before I was not totally awake when wrote that and have been trying to better explain/fix my mistake through the responses.

Yeah, got that. I've read the posts.

But now you're being defensive about being defensive. Laughat

Suggestion: Change tactic and ask for an "as is" analysis (which some have already provided) and then suggestions for a "to be" state.

13-01-2014, 10:13 AM
(13-01-2014 10:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:57 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have no problem making fun of my own race, or being comical about any race. Anyone that knows me in real life could tell you that. Hell, my father goes to Mexico all the time and usually go with him. Every time I play the stupid American that speaks Spanish with the whitest accent ever. Always gets laughs.

You're that guy! Tongue

Yes I am Laugh out load
I love making fun of my own race and America in general actually...

Atir aissom atir imon