Am I being offensive?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Am I being offensive?
In Newfoundland it's very common to use the word retarded (perhaps its common in other places as well but I don't hear it much around here) but we don't normally use it to describe the mentally disabled. It's used to describe foolish people or fucked situations and ideas. Religion is retarded is the example that comes to mind.
My sister in law works with mentally disabled people and whenever I use the word she gets real upset.
Am I being offensive of is she too sensitive? I ask because I don't mind being offensive on purpose, I just don't want to be ignorant about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2014, 08:22 PM
RE: Am I being offensive?
(23-06-2014 08:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  In Newfoundland it's very common to use the word retarded (perhaps its common in other places as well but I don't hear it much around here) but we don't normally use it to describe the mentally disabled. It's used to describe foolish people or fucked situations and ideas. Religion is retarded is the example that comes to mind.
My sister in law works with mentally disabled people and whenever I use the word she gets real upset.
Am I being offensive of is she too sensitive? I ask because I don't mind being offensive on purpose, I just don't want to be ignorant about it.

I use that word too. Sparingly.
Are you being offensive? Yea probably, if SIL is offended by it, just don't say it around her.
23-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Sounds like she's being a bit of a retard about it.
I wouldn't worry about it.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
23-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't use it, except for as a verb, i.e. The enemy army retarded their progress; or, the use of the oil is to retard their progression.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
23-06-2014, 10:37 PM
In America, or at least here in Cali, there was a big campaign about not saying the "R" word. It's a derogatory term for the mentally handicapped and is considered offensive by many people.

Though, the word is more commonly used as you described. I would just avoid it. It's like saying nigger over here.

Atir aissom atir imon
24-06-2014, 04:24 PM
(23-06-2014 10:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like she's being a bit of a retard about it.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load omg muffs, I got a drink over here, be careful with that shit! Tongue Laugh out load

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
24-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Working with people with developmental disability I know they find it very offensive. I assist one girl who has cried due to it with me.

It is offensive, but sadly its still an "okay" word in most circles. It's probably due to what I do for a living that makes me more aware of how it hurts others.

I slip up and say it sometimes, but I try -really- hard not to.
24-06-2014, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 04:39 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
Of course, when the mormons mock one of my clients or people throw cigarettes from moving vehicles at my clients (for example) I'm a little more vocally aggressive towards people (yes this happens) I can tell stories.

But its okay...because they are the "retarded" right?
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
24-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Is it offensive ? Maybe to the ultra politically correct, or those with disabled relatives or friends. Be careful who you say it around. With sparing use, comes emphasis.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-06-2014, 05:00 PM
(23-06-2014 08:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  In Newfoundland it's very common to use the word retarded (perhaps its common in other places as well but I don't hear it much around here) but we don't normally use it to describe the mentally disabled.

In Nova Scotia, it is very common to refer to the mentally disabled as "Newfies."

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post