Am I being offensive?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Am I being offensive?
(24-06-2014 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 08:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  In Newfoundland it's very common to use the word retarded (perhaps its common in other places as well but I don't hear it much around here) but we don't normally use it to describe the mentally disabled.

In Nova Scotia, it is very common to refer to the mentally disabled as "Newfies."

Oh fuck! You guys are Maritimers too!?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 05:16 PM
There's a big difference between saying something is retarded and calling someone a retard.

I wouldn't say the former is offensive.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
24-06-2014, 05:22 PM
(24-06-2014 05:16 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  There's a big difference between saying something is retarded and calling someone a retard.

I wouldn't say the former is offensive.

I guess the same can be said for any slur then?

I dont buy it.
24-06-2014, 05:37 PM
The word has morphed over time. If you were retarded your development had stopped at an early age, you were thought to be stupid and incapable of making decisions. This was widely applied to everyone with any mental disability, any speech impediment or just shy people. The biggest stigma a family could have is to have a "retarded" family member, so they were usually hidden away in a room if they had money, or sent to institutions where the conditions were horrific.

To people who are directly affected the word is extremely hurtful. And all of you who have OCD or any disorder at all, if you had lived just a couple decades earlier, you would hate that word. It's a throwback to times when society was even less understanding of mental illness than it is now.

I know you are using it playfully, but to those who suffer from discrimination because of mental illness, it is the single worst word and conjures up fear and anger.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Not any slur, no. If I say the laws in Saudi Arabia are retarded, is that really offensive?

If I mean that someone's behaviour is like that of a mentally handicapped person, of course that's offensive.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
24-06-2014, 05:50 PM
(24-06-2014 05:42 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Not any slur, no. If I say the laws in Saudi Arabia are retarded, is that really offensive?

If I mean that someone's behaviour is like that of a mentally handicapped person, of course that's offensive.

I don't see the difference in your example.

I dont see any problem with calling saudi arabia a country of fuckwits however.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
24-06-2014, 05:59 PM
(24-06-2014 05:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I dont see any problem with calling saudi arabia a country of fuckwits however.

Amen to that, as it were.

I picked that as, hopefully, a clear example of the definition of the word; backward, under-developed, etc. Unkind and inappropriate for a person but still applicable to a thing or idea in my opinion.

24-06-2014, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 06:38 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
(24-06-2014 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 08:17 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  In Newfoundland it's very common to use the word retarded (perhaps its common in other places as well but I don't hear it much around here) but we don't normally use it to describe the mentally disabled.

In Nova Scotia, it is very common to refer to the mentally disabled as "Newfies."
I would be offended by that but coming from a Bluenoser... I'll just consider the source. Smile
I don't suppose you live around south mountain?
But seriously though. Can I ask what part of Nova Scotia you're from? Or am I assuming too much?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
24-06-2014, 06:31 PM
(24-06-2014 05:05 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In Nova Scotia, it is very common to refer to the mentally disabled as "Newfies."

Oh fuck! You guys are Maritimers too!?
I ain't no Maritimer. I'm a Newfie.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
24-06-2014, 06:46 PM
I would say that you were being offensive. At least your willing to talk about it.

I would venture to guess, that most of us have someone in our lives, with a physical or mental disability. Sometimes both. I grew up with 2 cousins who were physically and mentally handicapped. They also died way before their time. They were amazing, loving, and kind. Most people with disabilities are. I suppose that's one of the reasons I love the movies Rainman, The Other Sister, and I Am Sam. Heart

Then having a family member diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I quickly learned about the stigma related to mental illness. It's horrible, sad and hurtful.

Anyway, there are plenty of descriptive derogatory words that can be used, that won't dredge up hurtful stigma towards people with disabilities.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post