Am I being offensive?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 06:55 PM
RE: Am I being offensive?
(24-06-2014 05:22 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:16 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  There's a big difference between saying something is retarded and calling someone a retard.

I wouldn't say the former is offensive.

I guess the same can be said for any slur then?

I dont buy it.

I see hobbit's point here. If you find using the word as a slur offensive, it doesn't matter whether you're using it to describe something, or as a slam against a person.

Think of "gay". I think "that movie was so gay" and "did you see that dress? She is so gay" are equally offensive.

That being said, I tend not to get too riled up over this sorta thing.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 08:01 PM
(24-06-2014 06:55 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:22 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I guess the same can be said for any slur then?

I dont buy it.

I see hobbit's point here. If you find using the word as a slur offensive, it doesn't matter whether you're using it to describe something, or as a slam against a person.

Think of "gay". I think "that movie was so gay" and "did you see that dress? She is so gay" are equally offensive.

That being said, I tend not to get too riled up over this sorta thing.

If you ever call me retarded I'll...

A. break down and cry
B. pull out a knife & stab you to death then cut your black heart out of your prejudiced chest cavity
c. stick my tongue out at you, and laugh at the joke I know it to be
Consider
I'm picking C Hug

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
25-06-2014, 08:02 AM
A very close friend of mine has a brother with Down's syndrome. He uses the word all the time. Never for his brother but in the way I described. In fact I know quite a few people in similar situations.
I honestly didn't know that a lot of people find it offencive. I thought it was most likely that my sister in law was just overly sensitive.
I suppose I could refrain from using this word.
Not in the interest of political correctness because fuck that shit but because I don't really like to hurt people.
Can I say "fucktard?"
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
25-06-2014, 08:09 AM
(25-06-2014 08:02 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  A very close friend of mine has a brother with Down's syndrome. He uses the word all the time. Never for his brother but in the way I described. In fact I know quite a few people in similar situations.
I honestly didn't know that a lot of people find it offencive. I thought it was most likely that my sister in law was just overly sensitive.
Not in the interest of political correctness because fuck that shit but because I don't really like to hurt people.
Can I say "fucktard?"

Fucktard has no history, so no one will mind I suppose.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-06-2014, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 03:59 PM by kim.)
retarded
adjective
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

retard
verb
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment : his progress was retarded by his limp.

retard
noun - offensive
a mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse).

I would say it's only offensive if you are using it as a noun.

If you tell your sister that she is retarded, it could be you are telling her she is less mentally, physically, or socially advanced - not offensive, just opinion.

If you tell your sister that she her oversensitivity could retard her ability to relate - not offensive, just an opinionated suggestion.

If you tell your sister you are going to the mall and then say, "Come on, retard." - offensive. But, she is your sister so...

Just be conscious of the fact that you might always offend someone whether meaning to or not. If you are uncertain of a particular word - rule of thumb - substitute a word you know might not me as offensive. I often substitute the word goofball for retard. Although, I don't mind using the word retard ... I have a brother. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-06-2014, 08:26 AM
(25-06-2014 08:02 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  A very close friend of mine has a brother with Down's syndrome. He uses the word all the time. Never for his brother but in the way I described. In fact I know quite a few people in similar situations.
Can I say "fucktard?"

Lol. I dont see anything wrong with fucktard.
25-06-2014, 03:44 PM
(24-06-2014 06:23 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In Nova Scotia, it is very common to refer to the mentally disabled as "Newfies."
I would be offended by that but coming from a Bluenoser... I'll just consider the source. Smile
I don't suppose you live around south mountain?
But seriously though. Can I ask what part of Nova Scotia you're from? Or am I assuming too much?

I live in DC but my grandparents came from the Cape Breton coal mines.

#sigh
26-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Retard is one of those slurs that's ok to say. Why? Because people don't care.
Some people do but not enough for it to be significant. In all my time here on TTA for example I've only ever seen someone complain once that people used the word retard.

It's like fuck, nobody has a problem with fuck or shit or dick or gay or cunt or whatever and so you can say it however much you want.

Nigger, now that's a word people have issue with, particularly white people. Say that enough and people will take issue (trust me). Yet what's the difference between retard and nigger? Both are offensive to a certain minority in society and both have a bad history associated with the word. Yet people don't care about 'retard' because we're not fed the shit that we are about black people. About how hard it is to be black etc.. about how you have slightly less chance to get a job about how some red neck called you a racist term that one time etc... And so when people hear "nigger" it's all "don't pick on that poor little black guy, he has it so hard as it is" crap.
Yet being mentally handicapped is a fuckload more harder than being black. You actually have an actual handicap...
Black people are also far more capable of seeing someone using the word nigger as just stupid, not offensive, compared to someone with a mental handicapped.
It seems to be that society have it backwards. There should be an outcry when the word 'retard' is used, not 'nigger'. It's pretty fucking retarded.
But that's society for you, raised on MTV.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post