Am I being terrible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2011, 05:44 PM
RE: Am I being terrible?
(03-11-2011 05:04 PM)kineo Wrote:  I think it's a really limited view of people. Religious people can be very intelligent but simply unwilling to accept alternative viewpoints on this one subject. I don't know exactly what your mom and sister are saying, so I won't say I agree with them- but I will say that I disagree with you.

What about people who become willing to accept new information into their belief equation and then changed their mind. Did they gain in intelligence? Are they still unintelligent? Were they always intelligent but suppressed their intelligence? I think strictly saying religious people are less intelligent is way oversimplifying things and is harmful to constructive discussion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that religious people are less intelligent. If someone says they believe because they feel that the evidence supports the conclusion of a deity then I'm fine with that. It's the people who say 'I don't care what the evidence says' or 'there's more to life than evidence' that I'm referring to.

I'm also not referring to intelligence in an academic way, more a common sense way, it's kinda hard to put into words.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
(03-11-2011 12:55 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Is that really such a terrible thing to say? I'm being treated like the devil right now (not that it particularly bothers me). I thought it was a fair comment.

You obviously insulted their intelligence! I probably wouldn't go that far, but would err on the side of discretion!

There are many "intelligent" Christians/believers in gods, but to me "intellectual Christian" is an oxymoron. "Intellectual" to me entails rationality, reason and logic, criteria that are not any part of religious belief.

Intelligence enables someone to think but that person can still be blinded by faith, which detracts from rationality, reason and logic, essential elements of intellectual thought.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Organon's post
03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
(03-11-2011 05:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-11-2011 05:04 PM)kineo Wrote:  I think it's a really limited view of people. Religious people can be very intelligent but simply unwilling to accept alternative viewpoints on this one subject. I don't know exactly what your mom and sister are saying, so I won't say I agree with them- but I will say that I disagree with you.

What about people who become willing to accept new information into their belief equation and then changed their mind. Did they gain in intelligence? Are they still unintelligent? Were they always intelligent but suppressed their intelligence? I think strictly saying religious people are less intelligent is way oversimplifying things and is harmful to constructive discussion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that religious people are less intelligent. If someone says they believe because they feel that the evidence supports the conclusion of a deity then I'm fine with that. It's the people who say 'I don't care what the evidence says' or 'there's more to life than evidence' that I'm referring to.

I'm also not referring to intelligence in an academic way, more a common sense way, it's kinda hard to put into words.

Ahh, I see. I think then, it probably just comes off wrong. But I don't think there's really a way to say to them what you want to say without them taking it in the most negative way they can. So, is it you being rude? Well, knowing ahead of time that that's how they'll take it- then you should think twice about going that route. It's better to go after the belief system than those who believe it.
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
(03-11-2011 06:47 PM)kineo Wrote:  Ahh, I see. I think then, it probably just comes off wrong. But I don't think there's really a way to say to them what you want to say without them taking it in the most negative way they can. So, is it you being rude? Well, knowing ahead of time that that's how they'll take it- then you should think twice about going that route. It's better to go after the belief system than those who believe it.

I suppose tact has never been my strong point. Maybe one day I'll accept that they are religious and creationists and get over it, I still just haven't reached that point.

I feel like Luke Skywalker when he's talking to Darth Vadar with them all sometimes. I can sense that they have rationality/common sense inside them but they just don't let it out Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
(03-11-2011 07:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-11-2011 06:47 PM)kineo Wrote:  Ahh, I see. I think then, it probably just comes off wrong. But I don't think there's really a way to say to them what you want to say without them taking it in the most negative way they can. So, is it you being rude? Well, knowing ahead of time that that's how they'll take it- then you should think twice about going that route. It's better to go after the belief system than those who believe it.

I suppose tact has never been my strong point. Maybe one day I'll accept that they are religious and creationists and get over it, I still just haven't reached that point.

I feel like Luke Skywalker when he's talking to Darth Vadar with them all sometimes. I can sense that they have rationality/common sense inside them but they just don't let it out Big Grin.

Haha, that's awesome. Big Grin