Am I being weak minded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 04:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Am I being weak minded?
(13-09-2012 03:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  No open arms and positive welcomes until after jumping through hoops dictated by their interpretation of the bible.

Girly'll show you fuckin' open-arms cheaptrick, come here and let me give you a big ass fucking Girly bear hug. Hug

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-09-2012, 04:46 PM
(13-09-2012 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 09:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You are on a forum with atheists. If you are going to make your ridiculous claims, you need some ridiculously good evidence.

There is no empirical evidence for faith.

I mean... that would kind of defeat the purpose of faith.

The purpose of faith is infantilization of the individual.
It is the opposite of being a fully fledged adult.
So, yes, requiring evidence defeats the purpose of faith.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2012, 04:53 PM
(13-09-2012 12:44 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is no empirical evidence for faith.

I mean... that would kind of defeat the purpose of faith.

Precisely my point. And you have the gull to get upset when you are surrounded by people who operate off and around evidence, and they criticize you for your illogic? Take a break, or stop the whining.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
13-09-2012, 04:54 PM
(13-09-2012 12:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  No, I call bullshit. Good luck being married to someone of whom you think that she's absolutely deluded and that her belief is repugnant. Imagine it like Chas being married to KC (if he was a women).

Gaaaah! I sprayed Mountain Dew all over my screen and keyboard, and out my nose. Hobo

I will send you the repair bill.Angry

[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-09-2012, 05:00 PM
(13-09-2012 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  The purpose of faith is infantilization of the individual.

That is fucking spot on ChasMeister. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-09-2012, 06:07 PM

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
13-09-2012, 06:09 PM
(13-09-2012 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  The purpose of faith is infantilization of the individual.

That is fucking spot on ChasMeister. Thumbsup

I'm not just another pretty face, y'know. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-09-2012, 06:51 PM
(13-09-2012 04:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 02:31 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  In the unlikely event it would happen - it more likely that the negative approach is the most likely outcome. Hope for the best outcome is unrealistic - I myself have gone through it, and it took a lot of strength to accept that. It would only make the negative aspects list more lengthy and more difficult to accept and overcome.

What I mean is; why is it more likely the negative approach must be the most likely outcome? As unrealistic as it might seem, you said yourself that you've gone through it and it took a lot of strength to accept it. Is it a complete toss up as to which way of life might be more positive?

It obviously took complete upheaval of your life to get here - an overthrow of mostly every concept ever presented to you about how to live. Some days you feel like shit... like you have nothing and no one to fall back on. The shedding of illusion can be quite bittersweet and it's supported by what; a scattered few "like minded" people?

If someone would have told you how shitty it might get, would you have even tried? Growth is too painful not to focus on the positive.

I feel privileged to know you - you fought to be yourself. Every scrap of who you are becomes more each day -stronger and more confident; you're amazing. Glimpsing what you've escaped, I for one am relieved and glad you are here. Smile

I can't want or hope for any less, for anyone who makes it to this forum. Shy

Yea, I know... I gotta work on my downer thing. Dodgy

Thanks for the kind words, Kim. I appreciate it! Blush

(oh man, I hope this comes out clearly)

The reason why I took the hope approach was because I was in shock. My reasons for going back where not for a god, but for my family. Because it wasn't for god, I wouldn't be allowed back in. If I bullshitted my way back in (it happens a lot in that religion) I would have had my family, but I wouldn't have had *me*, and it went against my set of ethics.

I don't think it's a toss-up. I think it's how your brain works - some people I believe are not able to get out of the religious mindset. Being so deep-rooted in the religious belief, in the community and lifestyle it seems near impossible. Like a plucked flower, it may look nice in a vase. The sense of self and/or self worth from a deity - the root itself - being taken away may work for a bit, but in the end dies much quicker and what's left is broken. If I had bullshitted my way back in, re-rooting myself, the same result would have occurred.

I was told how shitty things would get. After awhile I got to know my uncle, and learned his story. The shitty story wasn't easy to stomach. He lost his first wife because she wanted nothing to do with the Witnesses. Near the end of my being a member, I knew it was going to happen soon enough, and I had told my uncle that I was scared that I would be a forgotten member of the family. He said as long as I stayed faithful to his god, that I would never be forgotten. I realized then that it was an ultimatum - stay in the Witnesses or lose everything. It hurt like hell even before I got told I was disfellowshipped.

Only afterwards, when I had the courage to face the word 'Apostate', did I do the research on religion, working from pagan/heathen all the way up to New Age, and I got my A-HA moment. It hurt like hell afterwards, too.

I lost a lot, I changed a lot. Was it worth it, despite knowing the shitty consequences? Yes. Would I have it any other way? Hell no! I believed that god was real when I was kicked out. The A-HAH didn't kill me, but it certainly took a lot of evolving and adapting which meant knowledge gathering. Admittedly, I'm still a novice it's ever-changing.

I focus on the positive, but not on outcomes when it comes to past hopes in regards to family and religion. I don't apply this way of thinking to every single area of my life, nor do I think it applies to everyone. But one needs to consider all sides (or at least all they have access to and are willing to face) to make a decision that feels right for them. The positives I go through are found by divorcing myself from religious dogma, and struggling while being independent. Real-life stuff.

BTW, off topic a bit, but does anyone know how to contact Seth? He mentioned in a podcast about a project with the subject of Witnesses, and needing help from previous members, since he knows so little of it himself. Thanks!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-09-2012, 06:53 PM
(13-09-2012 04:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 03:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  No open arms and positive welcomes until after jumping through hoops dictated by their interpretation of the bible.

Girly'll show you fuckin' open-arms cheaptrick, come here and let me give you a big ass fucking Girly bear hug. Hug

Hug back!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-09-2012, 06:56 PM
seth@thethinkingatheist.com

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post