Am I being weak minded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 10:16 AM
RE: Am I being weak minded?
(13-09-2012 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 09:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You are on a forum with atheists. If you are going to make your ridiculous claims, you need some ridiculously good evidence.

There is no empirical evidence for faith.

I mean... that would kind of defeat the purpose of faith.

I have a question: Why is your faith important to you?

(I just want to know, I won't attack your answer. I don't get what makes you tick and I'd like to know).

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 10:27 AM
KC,

Feeling emotions ain't weak minded. In fact, I'd argue that allowing yourself to feel them even when they don't feel very good is strong minded. We've got emotions for a reason. They keep us sane (even when it feels like they are making us crazy).

A weak minded atheist wouldn't fare too well here. A weak minded theist wouldn't stand a chance.

KC weak minded? Not even close.

......your logic, on the other hand....... Wink

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
13-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I like you KC and I think in some regards your "faith" has strengthened your character..... however on the flip side I dont like how this same "faith" limits and creates bias to other avenues of thought you may have about life and how you see our alleged "origins"..... You may be a good thinker but in the end you will allways fall back on something from that book for your answer..... instead of like the rest of us saying we dont know or we are not sure for certain key life questions.... and I think thats what frustrates people.

Thats not personal or having a go.... just the way I see it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
13-09-2012, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 11:38 AM by Vosur.)
(13-09-2012 10:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have a question: Why is your faith important to you?

(I just want to know, I won't attack your answer. I don't get what makes you tick and I'd like to know).
He wouldn't be able to sustain his huge ego without it. I mean, being an average person is boring compared to being one of the elect of an all-powerful being that created the universe. Plus you get to spend all eternity in heaven, while all those unworthy non-elect suffer in hell for the glory of god's perfect plan. Drinking Beverage

That being said, even if he wanted to, he couldn't get rid of his faith at this point. He depends too much on it. His marriage, his connections, his children, he would loose everything. That and it would be incredible hard to admit that you've been delusional for the past decade and that you're going to vanish into nothingness after death.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-09-2012, 11:37 AM
(13-09-2012 10:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is no empirical evidence for faith.

I have a question: Why is your faith important to you?

Kingsy is a gameboy. That's what makes him tick... it's another facet of his delusion. Wink
Acceptance of your being here Kingsy doesn't effect me much personally, but I think it might startle quite a few who are new to their realization of Atheism. It might be more difficult for some who have painfully broken away from religion, to reconcile the fact that they could be buddies with someone who holds similar notions that once raped their mind from an early age.

You've been here & heard the stories of family rejection and years lost to petty hatred; you can't not imagine some consternation. As such, the kicking around you've experience from us here, is what we get on a regular basis for not having a faith. I'm sure you can wrap your noggin around that.

I think some here may get their knickers in a twist about you Kingsy, simply because we might see ourselves enabling you in this fantasy, which we find an affront to reality. The notion of finding one's self participating in such a passive-aggressive relationship seriously pisses some people off. It is a highly emotion-filled dynamic... and often a self-defeating blow to one's ego.

About emotion = what Stark said.
Kingsy... we have our emotions because we are human. I'm happy about that. For all the tumult our emotions cause, I'm damn glad I can feel each and every one, wonderful and horrible.

That "strong" or "weak" shit you talk about... that's just foreign to me when talking about emotion. And as for "strong or weak minded"... pardon me for saying this but, I think you might just be so used to giving all your shit to God including your emotions... while in reality, we know humans have to deal with our emotions all by ourselves. Maybe deep down, that human who knows there is nothing to give those emotions to, is feeling the exhaustion of having to keep up the ruse.

Just a thought. Sleepy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-09-2012, 11:50 AM
(13-09-2012 11:33 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That being said, even if he wanted to, he couldn't get rid of his faith at this point. He depends too much on it. His marriage, his connections, his children, he would loose everything. That and it would be incredible hard to admit that you've been delusional for the past decade and that you're going to vanish into nothingness after death.

Ah - bullshit. Look at the many people on this forum; Bowing The Mighty Erx! Bowing
Kingsy wouldn't lose anything; his newly gathered self reliance would firmly grasp the reality of his marriage, his connections, his children and every relationship with a renewed strength because he would finally put his own caring before God's caring.

It might take some doing but ... I'm certain he'd be game. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-09-2012, 12:01 PM
(13-09-2012 11:50 AM)kim Wrote:  Ah - bullshit. Look at the many people on this forum; Bowing The Mighty Erx! Bowing
Kingsy wouldn't lose anything; his newly gathered self reliance would firmly grasp the reality of his marriage, his connections, his children and every relationship with a renewed strength because he would finally put his own caring before God's caring.
No, I call bullshit. Good luck being married to someone of whom you think that she's absolutely deluded and that her belief is repugnant. Imagine it like Chas being married to KC (if he was a women). Furthermore, having indoctrinated his kids already, how is KC going to explain to them that it's all of the sudden rational to believe that god doesn't exist and that believing on the basis of faith is a bunch of crap? And how is he going to convince his wife that they shouldn't take their kids to church anymore? Other than that, I doubt that his connections would be all too happy about him turning to become an Atheist. Especially since he's most likely not going to go to church anymore.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
13-09-2012, 12:41 PM
(13-09-2012 11:50 AM)kim Wrote:  Kingsy wouldn't lose anything; his newly gathered self reliance would firmly grasp the reality of his marriage, his connections, his children and every relationship with a renewed strength because he would finally put his own caring before God's caring.

It might take some doing but ... I'm certain he'd be game. Wink
Taking a blow from an A-HA moment can cost a great deal in therapy. While it would take some doing also would also take time, and changing ones own perspective is difficult enough; changing someone else's perspective is nearly impossible. I went through the insanity of that with my folks. Loop in on this thread reply and we're back to more therapy, and more money lost.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-09-2012, 12:44 PM
(13-09-2012 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 09:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You are on a forum with atheists. If you are going to make your ridiculous claims, you need some ridiculously good evidence.

There is no empirical evidence for faith.

Precisely my point. And you have the gull to get upset when you are surrounded by people who operate off and around evidence, and they criticize you for your illogic? Take a break, or stop the whining.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
13-09-2012, 01:14 PM
(13-09-2012 12:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 11:50 AM)kim Wrote:  Ah - bullshit. Look at the many people on this forum; Bowing The Mighty Erx! Bowing
No, I call bullshit. Good luck being married to someone of whom you think that she's absolutely deluded and that her belief is repugnant. Imagine it like Chas being married to KC (if he was a women). Furthermore, having indoctrinated his kids already, how is KC going to explain to them that it's all of the sudden rational to believe that god doesn't exist and that believing on the basis of faith is a bunch of crap? And how is he going to convince his wife that they shouldn't take their kids to church anymore? Other than that, I doubt that his connections would be all too happy about him turning to become an Atheist. Especially since he's most likely not going to go to church anymore.

Possibly. Change means change... and true, that doesn't happen without surroundings changing as well. People here have overturned their lives, picked up and moved, found new friends, new jobs, and why? Because they have found themselves standing in the middle of a reality they had no idea existed alongside their delusion. It can present complete upheaval... but I don't think that all bridges must be burnt, rather redesigned. And Kingsy does present a particularly different case.

Kingsy knows and operates well within reality - as well, he knows that his belief is entirely irrational. I think because he understands this more fully than many people and because of this, he'll fair quite well. He'd probably go into a closet for quite some time to people outside his immediately family. This way he can concentrate on his internal life and pull his marriage in parallel with his newly realized existence.

His relationship with his wife might take some doing - but hey, he bagged a hottie like her -obviously, the guy's already a scam artist. Wink Seriously, his biggest job with in the relationship will be to drag her(possibly kicking & screaming) out of the same delusion he pulled himself from. Tough job, but sometimes - that's love.

He'd probably also concentrate his efforts in the redirection of his children's education - neither has entered school, so not much to change there... just more emphasis on the explanation between what's fantasy and what's not. When do most people tell their child that there is no Santa?

Outside his family... fuck them - he's the same guy. He wouldn't have to advertise his new found Atheism but even if he did, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't lose his job and certainly wouldn't behave differently than he does now. If he did lose his job over it... no doubt he's aware he lives in the Land of Lawsuit. So, outside his family, I don't see much of a change other than he probably will be sleeping in on Sunday mornings more. Shy