Am I being weak minded?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
RE: Am I being weak minded?
(12-09-2012 12:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Seriously, KC? You are espousing the worst kind of theist beliefs on an atheist forum. Of course you and your beliefs are going to be attacked.

As for acceptance, no. Not now, not ever. Theistic beliefs are irrational. I accept your right to believe any damn fool thing you want to, but I am under no compulsion to accept the validity of your beliefs or the validity of your believing them.

Irrational beliefs leave the mind weakened and susceptible to other irrational beliefs.

If you want to play here, suck it up. If it makes you sad, go away.

I never asked for acceptance of my beliefs. I only asked for the acceptance that I believe my beliefs.

But, what you are saying is that if I let the ridicule affect my emotions then I am being weak minded?

If you are letting it get to your head, and you don't like that, take a break. That is, of course, unless you like it. Not judging.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
(12-09-2012 12:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Seriously, KC? You are espousing the worst kind of theist beliefs on an atheist forum. Of course you and your beliefs are going to be attacked.

As for acceptance, no. Not now, not ever. Theistic beliefs are irrational. I accept your right to believe any damn fool thing you want to, but I am under no compulsion to accept the validity of your beliefs or the validity of your believing them.

Irrational beliefs leave the mind weakened and susceptible to other irrational beliefs.

If you want to play here, suck it up. If it makes you sad, go away.

I never asked for acceptance of my beliefs. I only asked for the acceptance that I believe my beliefs.

But, what you are saying is that if I let the ridicule affect my emotions then I am being weak minded?

No, you are being human. But you are here of your own free will. Stop whining.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
(12-09-2012 11:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Are you weak-minded for not wanting your beliefs challenged? In that regard, yes. My philosophical beliefs are constantly challenged in real life. That is the price I pay for being an atheist. Feel lucky that it is almost solely confined to this forum.

[Image: persecution.jpg]

No. I don't mind my beliefs being challenged... or made fun of. That doesn't bother me.

In fact, making fun of me for believing those beliefs doesn't bother me... usually. It's only when it seems to be unrelenting and from multiple sources that I noticed it.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
(12-09-2012 12:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you're tired, take a break.

I have. And I do from time to time.

This was just an honest question.

12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
(12-09-2012 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been on this forum for close to a year now... wow, seems longer...

Anyway, as most of you know, I'm one of the few theists that have stuck it out.

Being on TTA I expect to be ridiculed... for obvious reasons. I'm more or less ridiculed every day, which is fine, again, something I've accepted and come to expect.

But, there seems to be times where it's worse than others. It comes and goes... slight ridicule then extreme ridicule. The most recent wave of heavy ridicule got me thinking.

Now, I've always been all right with my beliefs being persecuted, but inevitably that persecution slips into the personal realm. Jeremy starts being attacked instead of Jeremy's beliefs. I understand this because I know how hard it is to separate a person from beliefs.

I'm pretty stalwart, though... and have good perseverance. However, during the times of heavy ridicule, and when the ad hominems start, it starts to wear down my shield. It's not that I'm offended... not that at all... it's just that the persecution starts to affect me on an emotional level. It kind of makes me sad.

Many of you know that I like harmony... with people... no matter who it is. Now, I don't run from controversy but I don't like it. I would rather people just embrace differing opinions and ways of life and just accept it... no questions asked. But, that line of thinking is impractical and boring. I know this, but I still want it... eventually.

But anyway, am I being weak minded for letting this persecution get me down in the times of heavy ridicule? I'm still strong, I know, but I still feel weak for letting myself be sad.

Thoughts?

You are a human being and as such your emotions are mostly triggered by hormones. Nothing you can really do, it's your chemical make-up.

The hormones are triggered by experiences, and the more often you experience a certain thing, the less hormones will be released in that particular situation.

If that hasn't happened to you, then there is a "sore spot". Something you are not clear with yourself about.

If the emotions do not tone down with frequent exposure to something, look at the things that upset you very closely. Something is a conflict within yourself.

If the emotions have been on the increase, get a blood test. Many medical conditions can cause this.

Just my opinon, just based on observation of self and others.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think it's to that point.

12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
(12-09-2012 12:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you're tired, take a break.

I have. And I do from time to time.

This was just an honest question.

You got an honest answer.
12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
(12-09-2012 12:05 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I never asked for acceptance of my beliefs. I only asked for the acceptance that I believe my beliefs.

If you are letting it get to your head, and you don't like that, take a break. That is, of course, unless you like it. Not judging.

I'm here mostly for the community. Debate and theological discussion is second.

12-09-2012, 12:10 PM
(12-09-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not AM but BEING.

But thanks.

Fucking pedant Dodgy!

No I don't think you're being weak minded. I'm sure most people on here would begin to feel worn down if they faced ad hominems when defending their beliefs, hell, most would probably leave.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Personal attacks have no merit. Of course could it be that sometimes you feel the attacks are personal when they are not? Ergo, it IS difficult to separate a person from their beliefs, and the person in question may be unable to do so too.

I think being weak-minded is to allow others to formulate your ideas and opinions for you. In one sense, you are not weak-minded because you have "reasoned" and "rationed" through your beliefs through your own thinking. On the other hand it might be fair to say that any religious person is weak-minded because they are not following their own opinion on reality, they are following a religious one as generated by someone else. (Except for HoC)

Being weak-minded does not mean you can't overcome it. I would assert that kids are all weak-minded and should be lest they want to die because of the lack of experience necessary to survive (strong willed people can still be weak minded, as can kids).

Oh, and it isn't "all right" it is "alright"

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
(12-09-2012 12:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I never asked for acceptance of my beliefs. I only asked for the acceptance that I believe my beliefs.

No, you are being human. But you are here of your own free will. Stop whining.

I know.

Dude, not whining.

Just asking a question and looking for input.

Don't know why it automatically qualifies as "whining" if I ask a question of this nature.