Am I depressed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Am I depressed?
I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed. I know the medicine I take can cause anxiety and depression (only temporarily), so how do I identify actual depression?

I am very, very hard on myself and feel like I screw up everything. I was telling my friend that this is why I don't have many friends. I consciously keep people at a distance in order to not screw up things in their lives.

I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2014, 09:40 AM
RE: Am I depressed?
Quote:I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

This is simple fact
As a depressive myself, this statement you make worries me...however depression also manifests itself physically...things like loss of appetite, changes in sleeping habits - too much or too little thereof, lack of ability to concentrate and many others...

Are you noticing any particular changes in your day to day habits which may be attributable to mental ill-health?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
29-08-2014, 09:51 AM
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

Clueless clown Tongue If you are depressed then you are hardly in the right state of mind to make reliable judgments. In the case of depression, one of the first steps is to admit to yourself that you might have a problem.

Symptoms of depression are prolonged feelings of hopelessness and being down, feeling powerless to change things in your life... that kind of thing. You can find a lot of info on the web about symptoms if you want to go for a bit of self-diagnosis.

If you suspect on the basis of your own research that you do have a problem then you have to get that diagnosis confirmed by a medical professional, who will then be able to tell you about treatment options.

It could be well worthwhile getting it checked out even if you're inclined to minimize it - there are treatments for depression which do work (mostly, it's always tricky with mental stuff), and if you can get yourself fixed, what's the point in suffering needlessly?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
29-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Its possible you may be depressed, you have after all been through some tough times recently.

It may be reactive depression though, not clinical. Big difference between the two.

I handle my depression with a good healthy diet, lots of exercise and focusing on things that I want... not what I don't want. Whilst I think Anti-d's are good for some people and would defo recommend them in times of desperation, I feel that in some cases they are just a symptom solver, they don't address the actual problems (unless you have a chemical imbalance) and I do not take them myself. I have, but I refuse to take them now.

Of course you should consult your doctor, however I feel that you should at least give your body time to get into a rhythm seeing as you have come off opiates recently.

Info

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
29-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I tend to think as we go thru adulthood and shit hits the fan a few times that we go thru phases of depression. For some people it last a few weeks, some a few months, some a few years and for others they never seem to shake it.

I think back to when I was 20, 30, 40. There were times when life really was hard. I was down in everything, health, attitude, job, romance, and then there were times when it all was right and other times when things were just ok floating along.

The person during those ok times, and high times is when I felt 'normal'. I woke in the mornings with a smile on my face even if it was the bill collectors call that woke me up.

The dark days- that person- it wasn't me- and the anti depressants helped get me thru those times. They don't make you giddy happy like a whack job, they help get you back to whatever your normal is. Lots of trial and error, but a true psychiatrist (not a psychologist) can really make a difference for the better in your life.

Yes, I think you should discuss it, and then get an opinion.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
29-08-2014, 11:14 AM
And psychiatrists won't get all "tell me how that made you feel when she said that" crap. They are all about the clinical signs. Are you sleeping? Do you have bouts of rage? Do you cry over everything?

29-08-2014, 01:13 PM
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed. I know the medicine I take can cause anxiety and depression (only temporarily), so how do I identify actual depression?

I am very, very hard on myself and feel like I screw up everything. I was telling my friend that this is why I don't have many friends. I consciously keep people at a distance in order to not screw up things in their lives.

I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

Maybe that's not depression. Maybe. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-08-2014, 02:55 PM
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

I think strengths and weaknesses are often the same thing, the difference is how you apply them. Confidence can appear as arrogance, for example. The fact that you feel you are only able to use your attributes in a negative manner would suggest a strong negative outlook. Which would suggest you are experiencing some level of depression. Or just a bad day. Certainly, if this persists, seek professional help. Out of curiosity, do the people you are "trouble" for think you are trouble, or this purely your own perception?
29-08-2014, 03:09 PM
I would also weigh what QC says heavily. She has known you for years, thru good times, bad times, sees you when you are up, down, and all the times in between. She can see how you've changed over the years and sees how the different challenges in life have weighed on you.

Take her words to heart, she is on your side.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
29-08-2014, 03:49 PM
A friend says talk honestly to your doctor. There's no shame in being depressed. The fix could be quite easy and it's not like it means meds forever in all cases.

There's no harm in asking - if you get to the point of wondering if you are suffering from depression - there's a good chance you are.

And, I just got another 90 Lexapro in the mail. I haven't been taking it lately so let me know if you talk to a doc and they want you to try it. I may be able to come up with a sample pack - I know I have at least 200 here.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?