Am I depressed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: Am I depressed?
(29-08-2014 02:55 PM)GodlessRN Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

Out of curiosity, do the people you are "trouble" for think you are trouble, or this purely your own perception?

Oh, oh - I can answer that!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I was hoping somebody who knows kingschosen would Smile
29-08-2014, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 06:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
Unfortunately we are just now to the point where we can measure the neurotransmitters to see if there is an imbalance. My depression manifested itself physiologically first as nasty ass rot gut and retching. Took quite a few months before it progressed to the point where the depression was palpable. And then the witch doctor initially chose to dick with the wrong neurotransmitter and effectively poisoned me (fun fact, 95% of the serotonin in the body is in the gut, my gut made it known in no uncertain terms that it did not appreciate the extra serotonin). Once the witch doctor switched to dicking with my dopamine instead things got better quickly. And the rot gut is gone. Smile

So I got no idea whether you are depressed or not, but the moral of my cautionary tale is that depression can manifest itself physiologically long before it manifests itself psychologically.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-08-2014, 04:43 PM
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed. I know the medicine I take can cause anxiety and depression (only temporarily), so how do I identify actual depression?

I am very, very hard on myself and feel like I screw up everything. I was telling my friend that this is why I don't have many friends. I consciously keep people at a distance in order to not screw up things in their lives.

I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

Jesus Christ, KC, ya think you might be depressed? Every word you wrote indicates a severe depression. [I am bipolar so I do know a little about this.] You need to bury your pride and see a shrink right fucking now or as quickly as they can get you in. Just because you aren't walking around with the muzzle of a gun already in your mouth does not mean that you are o.k. and that you can blow this off [bad choice of words] for a while. You keep people at bay so you don't screw things up for them. You see yourself as an undeserving asshole with flaws that outweigh strengths and you're a walking flesh bag of trouble for anyone who gets close. Despite what you say, none of that is "simple fact" or living in reality. I can say that for sure even though I don't even know you.

Let me warn you, NO DRUGS ARE GOING TO FIX YOU. However, drugs at least bring you to a point, and keep you at a point, where you can take care of yourself. For most people, anti-depressants just take the very painful edge off and working out of depression requires that you get a bit self-centered and force yourself to do things you enjoy even though you think you will screw them up. In any event, please take my advice and see a shrink about this. It will make your life better.
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
29-08-2014, 06:12 PM
(29-08-2014 04:43 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Let me warn you, NO DRUGS ARE GOING TO FIX YOU.
Balancing the neurotransmitters with pharmaceuticals is all it took for Girly. Not saying therapy ain't extremely useful, just saying drugs fixed me.

#sigh
29-08-2014, 06:16 PM
(29-08-2014 06:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 04:43 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Let me warn you, NO DRUGS ARE GOING TO FIX YOU.
Balancing the neurotransmitters with pharmaceuticals is all it took for Girly. Not saying therapy ain't extremely useful, just saying drugs fixed me.

Depends on your definition of fix...

I'd prefer to say that no drugs will cure you...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
29-08-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 06:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2014 06:16 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 06:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Balancing the neurotransmitters with pharmaceuticals is all it took for Girly. Not saying therapy ain't extremely useful, just saying drugs fixed me.

Well ignoring all of the antibiotics and other life-saving shit, if by cure you mean no longer requiring the drug, the fuck I give a shit about that. It's like asking if Androgel is going to cure me from my lazy ass fellas going into early retirement. I ain't looking for a cure, I'm looking for a treatment. Tongue

#sigh
29-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Signs and symptoms of depression include:
Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. ...
Loss of interest in daily activities. ...
Appetite or weight changes. ...
Sleep changes. ...
Anger or irritability. ...
Loss of energy. ...
Self-loathing. ...
Reckless behavior.

If you have more than two of these symptoms, consult a doctor.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/de...depression

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 4 users Like Shadow Fox's post
29-08-2014, 11:11 PM

I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed. I know the medicine I take can cause anxiety and depression (only temporarily), so how do I identify actual depression?

I am very, very hard on myself and feel like I screw up everything. I was telling my friend that this is why I don't have many friends. I consciously keep people at a distance in order to not screw up things in their lives.

I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

My advice, for what it is worth, go see a doctor.
They will refer to psychiatrist if need be.

There is no shame in depression.

It seems to be something that ought to be addressed rather than pushed under the covers.

No-one is perfect. Maybe you need to learn to forgive yourself, maybe you have too high a standard for yourself. IDK.

Anyway, professional help my be useful to you.
29-08-2014, 11:12 PM
(29-08-2014 06:16 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 06:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Balancing the neurotransmitters with pharmaceuticals is all it took for Girly. Not saying therapy ain't extremely useful, just saying drugs fixed me.

Human brain is total fuck-up already - no guarantee that your particular braain will fire on all cylinders - downside to evolution. If eating particular substance fixes it, is better to do that IMO. If we accept that mental health can be treated same way as other stuff, then taking pills for depression is like taking pills for blood pressure - some people just have to and that's that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post