Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 10:54 AM
RE: Am I depressed?
Okay, I'm done talking about this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2014 11:22 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-08-2014 10:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay, I'm done talking about this.

Fair enough. I'm not.

Other research has found that because of cultural pressure to act "manly," men may feel that it is weak to show despair or self-doubt. As a result, symptoms of depression may masquerade as anger or irritability. Research by the National Institute of Mental Health revealed that many men were not aware that physical problems such as headaches, stomach problems, and chronic pain might be symptoms of depression.

I know I wasn't.

#sigh
31-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Don't make Girly and me drive to LA to talk some sense into you! Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
31-08-2014, 12:12 PM
(29-08-2014 09:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I had a friend suggest that I look into getting on depression medication this morning.

I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed. I know the medicine I take can cause anxiety and depression (only temporarily), so how do I identify actual depression?

I am very, very hard on myself and feel like I screw up everything. I was telling my friend that this is why I don't have many friends. I consciously keep people at a distance in order to not screw up things in their lives.

I am an undeserving a-hole of all things good. My abundant flaws greatly outweigh my one or two strengths.

This is simple fact. It's not opinion. That's another reason why I don't think that it's depression. I live in reality and face the facts that I'm a walking fleshbag of trouble for anyone who gets close.

You dont screw up everything - your asking a reasonable question and doing the right thing - getting advice. However most people here are not professionals - so seek professional advice (some people linked to professional advice info on the topic).

"Depression" is complex because there is a sliding scale from mind/low mood intermittently to severe chronic clinical depression.
Also some of us start of with a default lower mood setting whilst others are on the higher more +ive end of the spectrum [nature>nurture.] We know this from studies on identical twins and some babies are just happier even with the same environment as other siblings. On the other hand environmental circumstances play a massive role for some people making nurture>nature. (obviously both involved)
You can change environmental circumstances to some degree - get out more, exercise, perhaps blogging for days on end isnt the healthiest option but meeting real people [I'm an unconscious auto bot response system], dont hang around misirable complainers but more upbeat folk, music is great, some creative goals & passions etc...

On a cognitive side - DO NOT generalize personality traits in a form of tunnel vision - this is the core of CBD (cognitive behavioral therapy, NLP & the like) - look these up on the net. BE A SKEPTIC TO YOUR OWN NEGATIVE STATES eg you said :
....I feel like I screw up everything

- Do you ALWAYS screw up EVERYTHING ?
- What dont you screw up ? in a positive framed sentence...
- What DO YOU succeed in doing well ? How does that make you feel ?
- Write a journal of your success, focus on this and how it makes you feel.
The two words "Always" and "everything" are gross thought distortions and UNREALISTIC contradicting your last statement:
"I live in reality and face the facts"

YOU DONT. You live in a tunnel vision facing selective facts - usually the failures.

In any case - some of those failures can probably be re-interpreted in a more positive light.

...as for intermittent depression:
Have you always felt this way ? Is it just recently ? When are you upbeat & happy ?
When do you have positive moods ?

- If it is related to medications then seek medical advice, many common medicines can alter mood & have psychological effects (pain killers, steroids, recreational psychoactive substances, anti-histamines, alcohol....)

- for chronic depression issues, see resources on symptoms as previously mentioned by others as this can be a serious problem and for some people medication are necessary and very beneficial, but I would not be hasty with medicines until some simpler methods are tried out. Combining medication with CBD type psychological therapies has the best evidence for success. (not medicines such as SSRI's alone)

Also - get a blood test + thyroid function done, basically general check up.
...and healthy diet. Sometimes people just eat shit and expect to feel good.
(well - eating shit does make us feel good, but sometimes only in the short run eg processed sugar filled crap and later we end up with screwed up biological functioning such as diabetes)

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]