Am I hallucinating?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 07:44 AM by DLJ.)
Am I hallucinating?
So I'm lounging in the hotel bar area having had an evening of supreme sensory stimulus and the TV screen scrolls news headlines at the corner of my eye...

"POPE TELLS PRIESTS TO PARDON WOMEN WHO HAVE ABORTIONS"

First reaction... What the fuck has is got to do with these obsolete celebates as to what a woman does with her own body.

Second reaction... Wait! What? The Pope?

Huh

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Am I hallucinating?
(01-09-2015 07:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So I'm lounging in the hotel bar area having had an evening of supreme sensory stimulus and the TV screen scrolls news headlines at the corner of my eye...

"POPE TELLS PRIESTS TO PARDON ABORTION WOMEN"

First reaction... What the fuck has is got to do with these obsolete celebates as to what a woman does with her own body.

Second reaction... Wait! What? The Pope?

Huh

Holy crap! Yes, indeed!

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-tells-priests...36598.html
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
01-09-2015, 07:43 AM
I saw it, too. Apparently such women previously had to go to an archbishop for such pardons.

As. If.

What struck me is that they have a procedure for forgiving "murder" (<-- according to the Church).

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
01-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Quote:“I have decided, notwithstanding anything to the contrary, to concede to all priests for the jubilee year the discretion to absolve of the sin of abortion those who have procured it and who, with contrite heart, seek forgiveness for it,” he said on Tuesday.

Religion is expert in seeming compassionate without actually being it.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-09-2015, 08:13 AM
(01-09-2015 07:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:“I have decided, notwithstanding anything to the contrary, to concede to all priests for the jubilee year the discretion to absolve of the sin of abortion those who have procured it and who, with contrite heart, seek forgiveness for it,” he said on Tuesday.

Religion is expert in seeming compassionate without actually being it.

The current pope is a standout even among Catholics.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-09-2015, 08:19 AM
This pope is really stirring things up. He's trying to bring the church into the current century, much to the dismay of many old school Catholics.

I think it's a good thing, it will help to broaden tolerance everywhere where there are Catholics. Religion will never disappear completely, but it helps to have the faithful evolve into a kinder version. Plus, I think opening their eyes to more compassion will also open their eyes elsewhere, including scrutinizing their religion.

I decided that this pope is good for social evolution in this world.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
01-09-2015, 08:27 AM
(01-09-2015 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  This pope is really stirring things up. He's trying to bring the church into the current century, much to the dismay of many old school Catholics.

I think it's a good thing, it will help to broaden tolerance everywhere where there are Catholics. Religion will never disappear completely, but it helps to have the faithful evolve into a kinder version. Plus, I think opening their eyes to more compassion will also open their eyes elsewhere, including scrutinizing their religion.

I decided that this pope is good for social evolution in this world.

I agree with you. Progressive thinkers have to celebrate these efforts by the church to modernize. We must be very careful not to cry hypocrisy and risk stunting future growth.
01-09-2015, 08:29 AM
What is a "jubilee year"? Is he only allowing it for 1 year and then back to the old process? Is this a limited time offer for forgiveness?

I can see it now: "This month only, Get your forgiveness for a second sin (of an equal or lesser value) for half penance. Don't delay this is a limited time offer. Don't be sent to hell because you let this offer pass you by!"

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 4 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
01-09-2015, 08:31 AM
(01-09-2015 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  This pope is really stirring things up. He's trying to bring the church into the current century, much to the dismay of many old school Catholics.

It's the only way the church will survive against the current tide of opinion. By having a charismatic leader who can introduce these reforms while they still have a strong support base they will do much better in the long run than if they tried to hang grimly onto the old way of doing things. If he wasn't doing this the church would be quickly losing credibility and membership and all that would be left would be the old guard who can't change, as has happened for Church of England. This way Catholics can be proud of being Catholic and their good pope, and the church remains a powerful force.

He might well be a conscientious man doing his best, but his effect is the same as if he were a wily politician.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-09-2015, 08:40 AM
He's shaking things up in that church, for sure.

I see this move largely as a way to give more power to the lower rungs of the RCC, since the Pope's been alienating a lot of the higher ups. It will also probably let priests so inclined have more influence over their parishioners, for good and bad. (I suspect it will mostly be bad.)