Am I having a stupid moment? Help me out here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Lightbulb Am I having a stupid moment? Help me out here?
I'm member of a forum that I honestly think I'm going to leave soon because, while it is the net and no one lies here /sarcasm, I truly believe this particular discussion community is populated by Trolls and 5 year olds using their mother or fathers picture on their profile, so as to claim they're much older.
But the truth is in the words.

In a discussion about atheism that has spanned the gamut between those that know what they're talking about and those who say of it, it is everything from religion, faith, preaching (as in Dawkins and other media about it), militant and attempting to convert Theists.

Having said this, this remark by someone who claims to be atheist but has such a contempt for atheism that it almost lends an odor through my monitor, boggled my mind. I mean that's hard to do...waits for it. But seriously! I couldn't wrap my head around this because I guess the shock of something said so publicly and so stupidly, but in all seriousness, just stunned my visuals. Because I am visual when I read peoples words. I try to get a picture of what they're relating. And this, well let's just say the picture went wewe fuzzy! Cool

Quote:
I believe or have faith that there is no evidence something doesn't exist.That just doesn't make sense to me.

I know my leading up to that was more words than the quote itself, but someone's got to tell me if their eyes don't cross, how the hell do you respond to that? I mean what the fuck?
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM

RE: Am I having a stupid moment? Help me out here?
I don't...
... understand.

Although i would enjoy joining said forum and counter-trolling >: )
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Is it a double negative? "I believe or have faith that there is evidence something doesn't exist.That just doesn't make sense to me." Or "I believe or have faith that there is no evidence something does exist.That just doesn't make sense to me." Or "I believe or have faith that there is evidence something does exist.That just doesn't make sense to me."

I think this is nothing more than making something sound complex so that any argument against it has to break it down completely. Like one of Ray Comfort's favorites "God dwells outside of space time in eternity." (not a direct quote but I do not want to take ANY credit for it) He has no idea what that means and that is the point. This person is the same way. Rather than saying that "there is not evidence against a higher power" they confuse the matter by adding in additional words. It is one of three mentalities: 1) If I talk loud enough, 2) long enough or 3) complex enough people will assume I am right. Can you guess which one I am? lol Smile

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
kind of reminds me of a group of "atheists" who just turned up in central Canada, they call themselves "Atheism v3.0" and say that religion and christianity are downright amazing, that god belief helps so many people and that the world needs it.
I kid you not, the Canadian Atheist Coalition had the story up on their site xD
sounds like we have some spies in our midst >;}

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM

(11-04-2011 06:44 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  kind of reminds me of a group of "atheists" who just turned up in central Canada, they call themselves "Atheism v3.0" and say that religion and christianity are downright amazing, that god belief helps so many people and that the world needs it.
I kid you not, the Canadian Atheist Coalition had the story up on their site xD
sounds like we have some spies in our midst >;}
Those that you're talking about sound like Theists trying to infiltrate atheism and redeem it to their liking. Not really that surprising I guess, though it is ridiculous. I can't help to think of ID though, and how a group of Fundies decided to invent neo-creationism myth into something that resembles a science, so they could bypass the separation clause and have the fable qualify for inclusion in government public school curriculum.

No, we're not talking about God! Of course not! We're talking about an intelligence that created.... Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post
11-04-2011, 07:02 PM
so are we going to start barcoding to prevent imposters?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
11-04-2011, 07:43 PM

(11-04-2011 07:02 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  so are we going to start barcoding to prevent imposters?

Only if I get to run their asses over the little infrared scanner on the counter!

Tongue
12-04-2011, 12:11 AM
(11-04-2011 04:01 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Quote:
I believe or have faith that there is no evidence something doesn't exist.That just doesn't make sense to me.

Translation - "Since I can't dazzle you with brilliance, I will baffle you with bullshit."

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 3 users Like No J.'s post
12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
(12-04-2011 12:11 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 04:01 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Quote:

Translation - "Since I can't dazzle you with brilliance, I will baffle you with bullshit."

It seems to me that the first part basically means "You can't prove a negative." And then he's saying that it doesn't make sense to him, so perhaps he is against that proposition.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
12-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Man, No J. Idk if you made that up yourself or if you heard it somewhere (If you did, plox tell me where from) but that's just brilliant. I plan on using that from now on.

Oh and, as i told Glassy. I made a giant post, i went from page to page and quoted almost everything. Then when i got to page 6 of 8, i lost EVERYTHING i had written. I was very upset, but I VOW TO WRITE IT ALL OVER AGAIN IN THE NAME OF LOGIC.