Am I "not a true atheist"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Am I "not a true atheist"?
Recently, I engadged in a debate with what I can tell, either a very ignorant 54 year old veteran with no grammar and punctuation skills, or spelling for that matter, or a very young child who does not know how to debate.

For the most part, they ran away from me, and simply attacked me at first. "Your not a true atheist, their!" "Prove it to me or ur not a true atheist"

Naturally, I kicked his ass, but he countuined to run away. But still, that begs the question, is there a fine line for a "True atheist"? (Like how, apparently, there is a line for a "true christian" but no one knows it)

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
RE: Am I "not a true atheist"?
If you lack a belief in gods then you are a true atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Stevil has it right. There is no grey line here. It's either you believe in some sort of deity or you don't.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
What do you mean he ran away from you and that you kicked his ass? It sounds like you were fighting him face to face. But then you wouldn't be commenting on his grammar and spelling skills. Otherwise that would be one weird fist fight. Shocking

To the question at hand- mostly broadly, if you do not believe in any deities then you are an atheist. It's just the absence of any belief in such supernatural powers.

Many theists like to take it from there and make assumptions about what it means to be an atheist.

"If atheism is true..."
"you cannot have morals."
"you cannot have meaning in your life."
"you must want the human race to die."

But really, I don't understand what the guy's argument was trying to suggest or what his stance was. Was he a theist claiming that you're not really an atheist unless you prove "X" is true/false?

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
^ He avoided my comments, actually, he would avoid me by claiming I wasn't a true atheist. lol Yes, and no, he changed his points whenever he was caught, or he would lie. But he did ask me true prove the bible was flawed, and if I couldn't I wasn't a true atheist. (So I gave him a 5 page quote showing how the bible is flawed, and he just ran away like the little bitch he is.)

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 05:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-04-2012 04:31 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Recently, I engadged in a debate with what I can tell, either a very ignorant 54 year old veteran with no grammar and punctuation skills, or spelling for that matter, or a very young child who does not know how to debate.

For the most part, they ran away from me, and simply attacked me at first. "Your not a true atheist, their!" "Prove it to me or ur not a true atheist"

Naturally, I kicked his ass, but he countuined to run away. But still, that begs the question, is there a fine line for a "True atheist"? (Like how, apparently, there is a line for a "true christian" but no one knows it)

There are many stripes and iterations of agnostics, and atheists. Ask him to define, exactly, what HE means by the label. Who needs everyone put into a neat little box, with a label, and a red bow anyway ? As for the "true christian" thing goes ..that depends entirely on who you're talking to. There are 33,000 sects of christianity. Usually "true" christian means, (is code for) "agree with MY sect, and ME, or you're not a 'true' christian".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Gotcha.

Well are you a closet theist?

What I mean is...
Do you pray in secret before bed?
Do you thank the sky for your food?
Do you wish upon a star?
Do you trust in an invisible sky sugar daddy?
Do you sneak to church on Sundays but lie and tell your family that you're just going to bowling ally or out to the bar to drink?

If you answered yes to any of these... well then you answered "yes" to a question.

What I mean is, the guy you were arguing with is a moron. Big Grin

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
(03-04-2012 04:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 04:31 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Recently, I engadged in a debate with what I can tell, either a very ignorant 54 year old veteran with no grammar and punctuation skills, or spelling for that matter, or a very young child who does not know how to debate.

There are many stripes and iterations of agnostics, and atheists. Ask him to define, exactly, what HE means by the label. Who needs everyone put into a neat little box, with a label, and a red bow anyway ? As for the "true christian" thing goes ..that depends entirely on who you're talking to. There are 33,000 sects of christianity. Usually "true" christian means, (is code for) "agree with MY sect, and ME, or you're not a 'true' christian".

Sadly he is ignoring me now. LOL But yeah, I should have down that. I found him on a atheist experience video, so I just assumed he was intellegent enough to watch it and pick up the definition.