Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
16-09-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
(16-09-2012 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:10 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I can. Undecided

Hmmm, not a very convincing argument. Consider

I have already posted why. I don't care if you believe me or not. I already previously stated that when evidence is provided to the contrary, I will gladly admit that I am wrong.
As for BizzysaidAss, she has probably never even heard of Sam Harris, let alone the notion that there free will is an illusion.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 03:25 PM
(16-09-2012 03:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hmmm, not a very convincing argument. Consider

I have already posted why. I don't care if you believe me or not. I already previously stated that when evidence is provided to the contrary, I will gladly admit that I am wrong.
As for BizzysaidAss, she has probably never even heard of Sam Harris, let alone the notion that there free will is an illusion.

You misunderstand me. I said I didn't see how someone's default or intuitive position could be 'no free will' and you responded that you could. That was what I said wasn't very convincing. I am not denigrating your position.

I agree that the neurological evidence is intriguing. I also don't quite see how we get free will from chemical life, but I think complexity may hold the key.

So my position is simply that I am agnostic on free will, but start with both the intuition and hope that we do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2012, 03:31 PM
(16-09-2012 03:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I have already posted why. I don't care if you believe me or not. I already previously stated that when evidence is provided to the contrary, I will gladly admit that I am wrong.

You misunderstand me. I said I didn't see how someone's default or intuitive position could be 'no free will' and you responded that you could. That was what I said wasn't very convincing. I am not denigrating your position.

I agree that the neurological evidence is intriguing. I also don't quite see how we get free will from chemical life, but I think complexity may hold the key.

So my position is simply that I am agnostic on free will, but start with both the intuition and hope that we do.

Well, considering the fact that I was raised Fundamentalist Catholic, and it was often said that God controls everything, but yet we somehow have "Free Will", it was also difficult for me to say what free will was or how it was defined. When I deconverted, my first guess was that it didn't exist. I still believe that it doesn't.

Do what you will (excuse the pun).

16-09-2012, 04:05 PM
(16-09-2012 03:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You misunderstand me. I said I didn't see how someone's default or intuitive position could be 'no free will' and you responded that you could. That was what I said wasn't very convincing. I am not denigrating your position.

Well, considering the fact that I was raised Fundamentalist Catholic, and it was often said that God controls everything, but yet we somehow have "Free Will", it was also difficult for me to say what free will was or how it was defined. When I deconverted, my first guess was that it didn't exist. I still believe that it doesn't.

Sounds like you have chosen not to believe in free will. Of your own free will. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-09-2012, 04:07 PM
(16-09-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Well, considering the fact that I was raised Fundamentalist Catholic, and it was often said that God controls everything, but yet we somehow have "Free Will", it was also difficult for me to say what free will was or how it was defined. When I deconverted, my first guess was that it didn't exist. I still believe that it doesn't.

Sounds like you have chosen not to believe in free will. Of your own free will. Thumbsup

Or the "decision" was predetermined by past experiences, genetics, and fluctuations/lack of chemicals in the brain. I have no control over any of that.

16-09-2012, 04:18 PM
(16-09-2012 04:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sounds like you have chosen not to believe in free will. Of your own free will. Thumbsup

Or the "decision" was predetermined by past experiences, genetics, and fluctuations/lack of chemicals in the brain. I have no control over any of that.

Or that. Consider

16-09-2012, 05:03 PM
(16-09-2012 03:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hmmm, 'evidence' was not the best choice of words. I meant the fact of our own consciousness and the fact that we very strongly appear to have free will, make having free will the more logical default position.

I don't think we appear to posses free will.
You tell your body what to do That is free will.

Heart cute
16-09-2012, 05:07 PM
(16-09-2012 05:03 PM)BizzysaidAss Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't think we appear to posses free will.

If I move my body, there is a predetermined purpose for it. I don't think you grasp what I am saying. Watch Sam Harris' video so you at least understand where I am coming from.

16-09-2012, 05:09 PM
(16-09-2012 04:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sounds like you have chosen not to believe in free will. Of your own free will. Thumbsup

Now this sounds pretty and Educated ,but it is stupid ! If you had no free will you would be living that life instead of this one
It's okay to be wrong.

Heart cute
16-09-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 05:29 PM by BizzysaidAss.)
(16-09-2012 05:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  [quote='BizzysaidAss' pid='171311' dateline='1347836584']

If I move my body, there is a predetermined purpose for it. I don't think you grasp what I am saying. Watch Sam Harris' video so you at least understand where I am coming from.
[/quote

then you chosen to be a slave to that idea and no one can change your mind So that is you exerting Free Will ,see?

Heart cute