Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
22-07-2012, 01:46 AM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
(22-07-2012 01:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Doesn't seem like you're much of a statistician. How did you determine your sample size ? How did you determine what ally to walk down ? Methinks you ain't no statistician.
Looks like a couple anecdotes to me.
hmm, maybe your right. I'm basing my shit off of a white 30+ old american living in MO. Maybe my shit is a lil off base.

But like I said in the OP. the whole boys in the hood stat. ("The one in 21 black men"thing) Can you correct me there?

Statistician? You're not going to make me give you a statistic on how many black men play sports are you?
They have more athletic people. I mean cmon.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2012, 02:02 AM
(22-07-2012 01:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Besides, that's not being racist, that's situational stereotypical profiling. Wink
I agree that its stereotyping.

But this is kind of what this thread is about. Basing things off of what we see.

I'm sorry but I'm am more science oriented ( i think ) than philosophy.

But do you understand that ultimately you are basing your reasoning of me by what you see? You don't know anything about me other than what light/info bounces off your computer screen. (Actually I take that back, the light emits off of your screen). But in real life the light the bounces off of others and into your eyes. This, is your stereotype. Yes?

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
22-07-2012, 02:52 AM
(22-07-2012 02:02 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 01:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Besides, that's not being racist, that's situational stereotypical profiling. Wink
I agree that its stereotyping.

But this is kind of what this thread is about. Basing things off of what we see.

But do you understand that ultimately you are basing your reasoning of me by what you see? You don't know anything about me other than what light/info bounces off your computer screen. (Actually I take that back, the light emits off of your screen). But in real life the light the bounces off of others and into your eyes. This, is your stereotype. Yes?

So what the hell you doing in the philosophy forum? Big Grin

Besides, you're discounting simulation of future; it's not what you see that you are revealing, but rather, what you assume will develop. Tongue

And yer talking about stuff no one wants to talk about, because no one wants to be accused of justifying shit. Sure, people do this kinda shit all the time, and sure enough, deny that it ever happened even right after it happened. So? People are duplicitous, self-serving bastards. Except for my Gwynnies. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 03:01 AM
(22-07-2012 02:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 02:02 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I agree that its stereotyping.

So what the hell you doing in the philosophy forum? Big Grin

Besides, you're discounting simulation of future; it's not what you see that you are revealing, but rather, what you assume will develop. Tongue

And yer talking about stuff no one wants to talk about, because no one wants to be accused of justifying shit. Sure, people do this kinda shit all the time, and sure enough, deny that it ever happened even right after it happened. So? People are duplicitous, self-serving bastards. Except for my Gwynnies. Heart
Because Cant.

Philosophy is the art of wondering.

I'm not here to discuss science.

I'm here to discuss/correct my thinking. And a lot of what I assume will develop in the future is only due what has happened in the past.

22-07-2012, 03:34 AM
(22-07-2012 02:02 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  But in real life the light the bounces off of others and into your eyes. This, is your stereotype. Yes?

Nope, that's just observation.

Stereotyping is just another form of pattern-recognition which is, I think, what you're getting at.

Our brains work that way for survival purposes but are prone to adaptive bias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bias as per your alley analogy

The black = athletic link, is, I think correlation rather than causation; similarly is it black = good boxers or is it good boxers come from poor backgrounds etc.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Well if you're talking statistics might as well throw them out there.

In America in 2009:
Male population: 2,096,300.
White: 693,800 (33%)
Black: 841,000 (40%)

And then compare that to population.
White: 72.4% of the population
Black: 12.6% of the population.

Yea sure many factors are a result of those statistics but in regards to what is being discussed here it's irrelevant.
The point was, is having stereotypes of people justified because statistically it makes sense, and well.. statistically black folk are more likely to commit crime then white folk. The percentage of the black population in prison is like 5times that of white folk.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
22-07-2012, 05:41 AM
(22-07-2012 05:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The percentage of the black population in prison is like 5times that of white folk.

Because they commit more crimes? Or because white cops have little problems convicting poor black men and filling their arrest quotas? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-07-2012, 06:10 AM
(22-07-2012 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 05:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The percentage of the black population in prison is like 5times that of white folk.

Because they commit more crimes? Or because white cops have little problems convicting poor black men and filling their arrest quotas? Consider
Because of poverty.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
22-07-2012, 06:28 AM
(22-07-2012 06:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Because they commit more crimes? Or because white cops have little problems convicting poor black men and filling their arrest quotas? Consider
Because of poverty.
Well, the answer may be complex, but at least when comparing population samples across various indicators, the populations have to be similar, (come from similar backgrounds), and yes economic status would be one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

22-07-2012, 06:38 AM
(22-07-2012 06:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Because they commit more crimes? Or because white cops have little problems convicting poor black men and filling their arrest quotas? Consider
Because of poverty.
Because they're poor? Or because white businessmen can get away with discriminating against black applicants? Consider