Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
04-08-2012, 02:14 AM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
(04-08-2012 01:56 AM)Jeff Wrote:  On the average, everyone has one testicle.

This should give you an idea how misleading data can be, even if it is 100% correct.

I don't think you are a racist. You're just trying to connect the dots you can see and hear, and asking if your conclusions are correct.

Your questions boil down to the nature vs. nurture issue - are we the result of our genes or the environment we grew up in? Clearly both have an effect.

My guess is that blacks are not more prone to crime or violence than whites when raised in a positive, nurturing environment. In the US, fewer blacks grow up in a positive, nurturing environment than do other races, due to historically lower socio-economic issues and a self-image disaster stemming from a past of slavery. Thus a higher percentage of blacks commit crimes, and also have fewer resources to avoid jail, and there is some built-in bias in the criminal justice system that disfavors blacks. Therefore a higher percentage of blacks are in jail.

While I think that all people (of all races, etc) should be treated as equals, I suspect that all attributes of all races are not equal. The major races evolved on separate, parallel paths that, while closely related, were not identical. It makes sense to me therefore that races viewed as groups would have some different characteristics, such as being prone to Sickle Cell Anemia mentioned by someone else, but also in terms of height, physical abilities, types of intelligence, etc.

Epic response.

And very satisfying. Rep added.

But we do at least have to acknowledge that race does have different attributes, characteristic. Some be good, or bad.

Racism is bad. I think we can all agree on that. Sometimes tho I feel we are so afraid of it that we won't touch any fact related to it

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
04-08-2012, 04:39 AM
(03-08-2012 10:03 AM)Filox Wrote:  And it is still illogical and unscientific to do that, because, we have a couple of races of humans here on this planet... I would say that we are not a human race, but a human species that has a couple of races as a subcategory. By the definition of these words, most biologists would agree with me. So I don't see the problem with it, I guess I think normally and don't attribute strange attributes to scientific, biological definitions...

If you were going to be scientific, you would not use "race". You would use the terms "species" and "subspecies".

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
04-08-2012, 07:56 PM
(04-08-2012 01:56 AM)Jeff Wrote:  On the average, everyone has one testicle.

This should give you an idea how misleading data can be, even if it is 100% correct.

I don't think you are a racist. You're just trying to connect the dots you can see and hear, and asking if your conclusions are correct.

Your questions boil down to the nature vs. nurture issue - are we the result of our genes or the environment we grew up in? Clearly both have an effect.

My guess is that blacks are not more prone to crime or violence than whites when raised in a positive, nurturing environment. In the US, fewer blacks grow up in a positive, nurturing environment than do other races, due to historically lower socio-economic issues and a self-image disaster stemming from a past of slavery. Thus a higher percentage of blacks commit crimes, and also have fewer resources to avoid jail, and there is some built-in bias in the criminal justice system that disfavors blacks. Therefore a higher percentage of blacks are in jail.

While I think that all people (of all races, etc) should be treated as equals, I suspect that all attributes of all races are not equal. The major races evolved on separate, parallel paths that, while closely related, were not identical. It makes sense to me therefore that races viewed as groups would have some different characteristics, such as being prone to Sickle Cell Anemia mentioned by someone else, but also in terms of height, physical abilities, types of intelligence, etc.

I see where you're coming from with this nature verse nurture.
But I don't think that's the argument. In fact I think that it has nothing to do with what has.
What it comes down to is the facts. Like, is there a higher percentage of blacks in jail for violent crime in comparison to whites? Answer, yes there is.
That's really the only fact that is needed.
We can argue why that is but that's a different discussion, this one is purely about that statistic in relation to racism.

Thus, fact: Blacks are statistically more likely to commit crime.
Thus the conclusion: Don't walk down a dark alleyway with black people. Is not unreasonable, it's a matter of statistical fact that if you had a choice between a white man or a black man that you should logically pick the black man. Which is what the OP is getting at.
It's not racist, it's basic statistics.

Like for example I call a taxi. I know that there is a statistical chance that my driver would be Indian. That's not racist, that's a statistical fact. So if I were to say "I bet my driver is gonna be Indian", that's not racism, that's basing my estimate off statistical data.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Your use of the word fact is inaccurate. At best it should be identified as a statistical probability. And statistical probabilities are not absolutes and statistics cannot be used as predictors as they are descriptive.

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-08-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2012 09:44 PM by earmuffs.)
(04-08-2012 09:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your use of the word fact is inaccurate. At best it should be identified as a statistical probability. And statistical probabilities are not absolutes and statistics cannot be used as predictors as they are descriptive.

no its not.
Fact, there is a higher percentage of black people (in relation to overall black people population) in jail then white people. (in America).
That's not inaccurate, that's just a fact.

Thus, if you have 100random whites in a room and 100 random blacks in the same room and you had to pick one person, the chance of picking a black criminal is higher then picking a white criminal.
I fail to see how that is inaccurate, that is a fact.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
04-08-2012, 09:30 PM
(04-08-2012 09:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your use of the word fact is inaccurate. At best it should be identified as a statistical probability. And statistical probabilities are not absolutes and statistics cannot be used as predictors as they are descriptive.

Old fat man scientist beatdown muffinears. Fuck with us at your own risk. ... We know a thing or two about weathering beatings. ... Hell most times we don't even notice them, I mean 'cause we're fucking scientists and all.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
(04-08-2012 09:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  statistical fact

BeardedBrother's point is that those 2 words don't go together.

04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
edited my last post then.

04-08-2012, 09:49 PM
(04-08-2012 09:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edited my last post then.

You mistake statistic for fact. ... Don't get me wrong, no skin off my scrotum.

04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
(04-08-2012 09:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 09:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edited my last post then.

You mistake statistic for fact.

No I'm not. The statistics show that there is a higher percentage (in relation to population) of black criminals then white criminals. Thus the fact is that there is a higher percentage of black criminals to white criminals.

Quote:... Don't get me wrong, no skin off my scrotum.

...Dodgy
note to self: remember and use in conversation at a later date

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Am I racist? Or just a statistician? Atheist Chiefs fan! 6 987 25-07-2012 12:03 AM
Last Post: Filox