Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
(04-08-2012 09:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 09:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You mistake statistic for fact.

No I'm not. The statistics show that there is a higher percentage (in relation to population) of black criminals then white criminals. Thus the fact is that there is a statistic showing a higher percentage of black criminals to white criminals.

Fixed it for you muffinhead.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
It didn't need fixing.
It's a fact that there is a higher percentage of black criminals then white criminals (in relation to population).

dictonary.com

fact
noun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

Thus, is the statistic that there is more black criminals then white criminals (in relation to population) true?
Yes.
Thus, fact.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
04-08-2012, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2012 11:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-08-2012 10:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It didn't need fixing.
It's a fact that there is a higher percentage of black criminals then white criminals (in relation to population).

dictonary.com

fact
noun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

Thus, is the statistic that there is more black criminals then white criminals (in relation to population) true?
Yes.
Thus, fact.

Your appreciation of the word "fact" is naive and juvenile.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
05-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Statistics are dependent on the time and the country they were made in. The results are subject to change. Drinking Beverage

Also: "Never trust a statistic you didn't forge yourself"

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
05-08-2012, 01:52 AM
(04-08-2012 10:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

dictonary.com

fact
noun

Yes.
Thus, fact.

Your appreciation of the word "fact" is naive and juvenile.

Your understanding for the word 'fact' is lacking.

Quote:Statistics are dependent on the time and the country they were made in. The results are subject to change. Coffeedrinker

Also: "Never trust a statistic you didn't forge yourself"

Sure, but until there is a higher percentage of whites in relation to population in jail then blacks, it is a FACT, that there is more blacks in jail then whites relation to population size.

Whats not to trust about this statistic? count them up, done.

I'm seriously failing to see the logic that it is NOT a 'fact' that there is more blacks then whites in jail relation to total population. That IS a fact, there is no other way to put it. It's a simple look at the numbers exercise. There is no questioning it.

I'm sorry that you people don't want to see that because you don't want to seem racist or whatever the fuck but there is no other way to put it other then more black people in relation to population are in prison then white people. ITS A FUCKING FACT!

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Chill, Muff-Diver.
The point is, why do those stats exist? The FACT is not that there are more Black criminals than White criminals. The stats suggest this to the naive, but the conclusion is fallible. The FACT is, White law enforcement and White juries have tended over the years to convict people of color over Whites. The FACT is, Segregation, both Legal and de facto, have created ghettos where stealing and violence are prevalent survival tactics.
Statistics are not FACTS no matter how much you want to whine about it. Statistics are just numbers that need to be interpreted.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
(04-08-2012 09:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 09:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  statistical fact

BeardedBrother's point is that those 2 words don't go together.

And BeardedBrother would be wrong. The statistics provide predictive power.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
(05-08-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 09:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  BeardedBrother's point is that those 2 words don't go together.

And BeardedBrother would be wrong. The statistics provide predictive power.

Show me the stats that prove this.

Oh wait, you can't, because it's not a fact!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
(05-08-2012 11:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  And BeardedBrother would be wrong. The statistics provide predictive power.

Show me the stats that prove this.

WTF? Are you guys denying the fact of statistics?

Or you just don't like using statistics in regard to people?

Of course I can predict that the probability distribution in a random sample of a population will likely match that of the larger population.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
(05-08-2012 11:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 11:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Show me the stats that prove this.

WTF? Are you guys denying the fact of statistics?

Or you just don't like using statistics in regard to people?

Of course I can predict that the probability distribution in a random sample of a population will likely match that of the larger population.

Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize you're a bazillionaire from your statistical predictions of the stock market.

My point is stats are just a tool. They can be right or they can be wrong. Sometimes they just describe one facet of a situation. To say statistics show more black convicts than white convicts does not make it a fact that black people are more likely to be criminals than white people. All it does is show more blacks get convicted.

But for some reason you are so enamored by your stats that you're forgetting that. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post