Am I racist? Or just a statistician?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
22-07-2012, 06:45 AM
RE: Am I racist? Or just a statistician?
If you guys have not yet read Freakonomics, I heartily recommend it (google "Freakonomics pdf" for a freebie)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-07-2012, 06:48 AM
(22-07-2012 06:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If you guys have not yet read Freakonomics, I heartily recommend it (google "Freakonomics pdf" for a freebie)
Seen the 'movie'.

Fantastic. Especially love the abortion bit...

Quote: Because they're poor? Or because white businessmen can get away with discriminating against black applicants? Consider
Because they pop out a thousand bloody children to get extra welfare money and then get their kids to drop out of school to collect welfare checks.

See I can throw out stereotypes and claim this happens 100% of the time too.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
22-07-2012, 07:05 AM
(22-07-2012 06:48 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because they pop out a thousand bloody children to get extra welfare money and then get their kids to drop out of school to collect welfare checks.

Racist. Tongue

But then we knew you were an ornery fuck. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 08:01 AM
If any ethnic group expects less of another ethnic group, the chances of the progression of that ethnic group are reduced. If white people expect bad things from black people, they will be prejudicial against them because of the colour of their skin, rather than the identity of the individual that's standing before them.

If black people from poor backgrounds have less opportunities than white people from poor backgrounds... then they will remain poor. Whatever social mobility exists, it is easier for white people than for black people. In situations like that, your choices are to live in destitution until you die... or to resort to crime.

Low expectations are (sadly) shared. If a black person lives their life with everyone having low expectations of them, they will adopt that low expectation and think "fuck it, if they expect me to be bad, I'll be bad".

Statistics can be read in different ways. If you're not looking at the bigger picture, you can use statistics to enforce what caused those statistics in the first place.

If only everyone was colour-blind. Until that happens, we'll always have racism... whether those racists see themselves as racists, or not.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
22-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I think that the problem is that peeps don't separate their morals from their code of ethics. For myself, I practice situational stereotypical profiling, but in practice, I prefer not to preach that kinda gospel as it sets a dangerous precedent.

22-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Nobody is born racist, I think racism comes through two ways.

1: Your are "educated" by society and peers that any ethnicity other than your own should be looked down upon, these people are given names (paki, niggers etc etc) and there is no seperation. All people fall under this bracket.

2: You are involved in a negative situation directly yourself with a ethnic group, understandably this situation will make you more wary of said ethnic group.

Depends which category your fall under...... I actually used to fall under both categories until about 6-7 years ago when I realised that category 1 is bullshit and for me to live that way is just a waste of my life. I had a negative situation with some black people a few years ago and this makes me wary of certain dressed people, although I realise that not all people will try to cause me harm.

Its a two way streak though, I work in an area near me called "normanton". Over the last 30 years more and more Asian people (pakistani and indian) have moved into this area and since the EU opened up the borders we have more ethnic minority groups being put into this area.

As an english white male I go through this area and id say 70% of the people are friendly and smile whilst the rest either wont look me in the eye or are negative towards me........ these people are also racist.

When the Media in my country blame all of the woes on immigrants and ethnic groups (stealing benefits, stealing all the jobs.... they must be good to steal both, which many people in my country are too dumbed down to realise) then they too are adding to the unjustified fear and loathing that people hold.

Ill recap my point.

If your racist, even though you yourself have never had anything bad happen to you, your reasons are unjustified in a personal way, then your a fucking chump.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
22-07-2012, 08:42 AM
That reminds me... I'm in the first grade, and I steal a kiss from this girl named Sabrina - cause Imma stud, yo - and of course I flap my gums about it. And my mother goes, but she's Jewish! Evil_monster

I mean, wtf? We were only Catholic 'cause we're Irish. Never went to church, never read Bible with family... but... she's Jewish! Consider

22-07-2012, 09:06 AM
(22-07-2012 01:00 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 12:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
That's like saying it has nothing to do with the fact that black people are more athletic.

Let's be honest. I'm not racist. But statistically black people are better at sports.
I disagree with this. I think that the reason you see more black people in sports like basketball is because 1, it's cheap to play and 2, it's more socially acceptable to be a bball player in the hood than a golfer or lacrosse player. The talent pool for basketball and football is largely centered in black schools/neighborhoods because those sports are considered cool. It's the same reason why most hockey players and gymnasts are white. Black people may have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers (white having more slow twitch) but that isn't proven and would still make white people stronger on average and just as athletic.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
22-07-2012, 09:12 AM
(22-07-2012 08:34 AM)bemore Wrote:  Nobody is born racist, I think racism comes through two ways.
At a Darwinian level, we have a base position of: same = good, different = bad.

We gather in cultures, all of which is an extension of our immediate family. It extends as far as the borders of our country. For some people, they also extend this to the skin colour. It's all so fucking backwards.

Touch the obelisk and evolve, people.
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
22-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Samoans are statistically overrepresented in the NFL and Dominicans in MLB. Why? It's a chance to get the fuck off the island.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post